On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Mumsie's Monday messages

Caleb is a kick in the pants - Jen is here - we are trying to take Caleb outside each day and Jen thought to bring bread along - Caleb had a blast feeding the geese till he decided that he was damn tired of liquid food and tried eating it. He cracks me up. More improvement as always... he wrote a letter to Jen after she called him bubsie ( a nickname I call him) " Is that what you call me because I'm special?" His writing becomes more legiable with each try. His walking has intensity to it... I can see his determination for this because he smells freedom in it. He still has difficulty lifting his head upright - he is listing to the left, but when reminded he can correct it himself; he is down about 20 pounds -all of which he has transfered to me. I can't wait till we drive into Fleet -Caleb looking radient and fit and me at his side weighing in at 250. Jen is always a pleasant suprise for Caleb and he tries even harder at his chores for the day. We are well as can be, snuggled into our new cozy home full of all kinds of wonders and miracles. The people who come through here will bring you to your knees. Some of them have such a rough road ahead of them and still look you in the eye with pride and dignity. I am humbled by the might! Caleb has his own intensity goin - He is Flippin cool! Sleep tight my loves. Love mumsie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds more like Shayrn . . . sounds more like Caleb . . . sounds more like wonderful to me . . .

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharyn - I've been checking in at the blog daily and am so glad to hear of Caleb's recovery. I would love to meet him one day along with your other two sons. I would love for you to meet mine, as well. You have a wonderful community behind you but you also have friends from long ago who are hanging in there with you. I remember the time you and I were in the fields at the farm looking for 4 leaf clovers. I kept hunting and hunting and couldn't find any...........and you were doing the same, or so I thought. All of a sudden you burst out laughing because you had a whole bunch of them tucked inside your shirt. Well, girlie, it looks like all the 4 leaf clovers are paying off!! Little did we know at the time how badly you would need all that luck someday!!! So glad it's all going well and Caleb is on the road to recovery. I can't imagine the pain you have been through the past few weeks. Every parent's worst fear come true. Hang in there, kiddo!
Sue

Clance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clance said...

Que bueno!! No worries Sharyn there are plenty of loving people in Fleet to fatten Caleb up upon return! Plus, you will slim right down when walking about in your beloved Fleet WITH Leb! I am sure you'll be running after that wild one to catch up! I am so content knowing he has the loving support of 2 babes beside him, you & of course Jennie! May my smile reach yours..many, mucho blessings! XO!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharyn, this is my first post here but I've been following Caleb's progress through your eloquent updates right along. My wife and I can so relate to what you're all going through as a family. Our daughter had a brain injury when she was quite young. We too spent several weeks in a Boston hospital followed by months doing rehab (PT/OT/Speech). Your comment about all the other people passing through, people with so many seemingly more severe medical problems and sometimes bleak prognoses struck a chord. The resilience of the human spirit is truly humbling. We also learned a lot about the amazing adaptive powers of the brain. Our daughter's recovery far surpassed all initial expectations and we are praying for the same for Caleb.
We were in Wellfleet last week (we're part-timers) and had the privilege of attending Thursday night's "Wellfest". That, too, was inspiring. Talk about one helluva supportive community. Caleb is truly loved and in that sense, truly blessed. I do hope we'll get to meet him one of these days.
Stay strong and don't give a second thought to a few extra pounds! Chalk it up to all that Mickey D crap in Boston.
With warm regards-
Jerry G

Anonymous said...

I thought about you both so much last night! So glad Caleb is doing better and making both you and Jennie smile.
The pounds will come off fast once you are chasing the pirate back around Wellfleet. Peace and love always from the Upper Cape.

Amy St.John said...

well, here i sit in wellfleet, like so many others, wishing caleb peace, acceptance, and patience. I miss my friend so very much. Caleb is one of the only friends I have ever had who has always stood by me no matter what, and always accepted me for who I am. He never judges, or tells me I am wrong. He is a lovely listener, and gives the best advice ever when he feels it is needed. He always has a kind word. I miss that. It isn't a quality so often found in people. I have realized that caleb is one of the reasons I loved wellfleet so much and wanted to make it my home. As some of you well know, his pirate march in the parade each year was somewhat inspired by my father, Brian Ramsdell. My dad was always quite a sight in the parade, and after some strokes about 5 years ago, caleb decided to REPRESENT!!! And I loved him for it even before I met him, when my cousin Mike D. told me about him. I think of Caleb and his family as if they were my own family. Sharyn, you are amazing. Your acceptance and love resonate through this whole experience, and I try to have the strength I see and feel in you. Please give Caleb my love....