On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, July 20, 2007

July 20 - mumsie

My how time flies when your'e having fun! And fun we are having -- Caleb now has his music and does his jiggy dance in his mind -You all heard that Shaye and Kai came up and got the surfers salute which brought tears to their eyes. Also at the very end of his therapy session, his nurse wanted him to wake up a little and work for another 5 min. Caleb was giving her the "eye" which all of you know to be a very determined NO. She said -" Caleb - do you want to fight"? at which time he held up two fists and pretended to fight with her. He wrote 3 of the letters in his name and then fell asleep again -- he is coming back to us all! This is exhausting work - but his nurses are competant and won't let him get lazy. The cast of characters up here is hilarious - including Calebs room-mate's family from Fall Riva. Dad is a coke head I am certain, and mom just talks incessantly about nothing - mostly directed at me because hubby ignores her . Another guy walks the halls passing out pamplets on Hematoma which he has stolen from the front desk. Caleb and I are rolling our eyes! Kai and Shay met "Buster" - the vet in the wheelchair who I really believe does'nt need to be here - I think he believes he checked into a hotel.. I believe we landed on the psych ward. So each day Caleb has 3 sessions of therapy - Physical, Occupational and speech.. one hour in each. He has made incredible progress in so short a time. It is difficult at times to watch him stuggling with tasks so basic but I keep dipping his toes into the sand which Kai brought from LeCounts beach and I tell him all his friends are waiting there for him- waiting for him to come home. This seems to help him to concentrate and to work ever so much harder. I know how badly he will want to be in your company again and this will spur him onward. This coming Wed he will be transported back to Mass General so that his wires will come out - it is important to me that lots of you make it to the circle this week- I know you all have busy lives but I am asking this as a personal favor to Caleb - he needs extra prayers for this one - his eye will be repaired and I want that to go well. Caleb is doing fine and soon we are going to be raging the halls in helmets and wheelchairs right along side Buster rippin the place up and placing piraty Potter paraphnalia all over the place! I love you all - I cannot tell you how much these comments of yours mean to me and that your incredibly strong thoughts and words and prayers mean to Caleb Love, Mumsie

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Sharyn,

I remember Caleb, Kai, and Max well from the photo shoot last summer when I was writing the article about your home. You were all so incredibly wonderful -- it is no surprise to see how many lives your family has touched! I send best thoughts and prayers to you all every day. Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharyn & Family...Just wanted to send my love and happy thoughts...I think of you all constantly...especially caleb. I had a dream last night that he and I were hanging out and we found a trash can full of STACKS of $20's and $5's. then we noticed that they all had the same serial number on them, so caleb started picking through them to find the ones with only one number so we wouldn't get caught with the BOOTY!!! yes, I'm a strange one, but it was great to get to see him, dream or not! send him my love and tell him to fight like hell 'cuz we need our captain back before mutiny abounds! I love you all! Amy St.John

Anonymous said...

Sharyn, Sharyn, Sharyn,
And now with continuing good news about Caleb, I find my sympathies turning to those hardworking folks at Spaulding who clearly have NO idea what they're in for as you settle in to your residency there. And when Caleb is up and running, too, well, all bets are off. Try to behave yourself (afterall, it's Boston not Cape Cod) and keep on blogging. You have a real knack for it and your fan club hangs on your every word (that's a first!). Chris wants to know if Caleb wants some bluegrass music—everyone knows it has special healing powers. Love to all of you. You continue to occupy a major portion of our thoughts.
Love Paula & Chris

Anonymous said...

Take the Bluegrass !
it really does help ...

i'm way down south in
north carolina right now but,
i'm sending all of my love and good energy up there for the
mighty pirate caleb !

he sounds like he's doing great. you just can't go wrong with these folks, all their hearts are too good. thank you again sharyn, for all of the updates and stories.
if there is ever one thing i know about your lot, it's that everyone is strong and stubborn as hell.

keep on rockin' and posting on caleb's jolly-good jiggs

LOVE
abby

Anonymous said...

Last miner to check in. I meant to post here but got distracted by the pirates! But I mean every word. SHAKE IT UP!

Sky said...

Yes yes yes! Thanks for your sense of humour Sharyn. You're keeping us all smiling. That eldest son of yours has some serious strength. It seems you have both landed yourselves in yet another entertaining environment! I have no doubt that bordem will be avoided in that crazy scene.
To everyone out there reading these words, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. The intensity of these past weeks have made me see and feel yet again what life is all about. Ride the wave. Love it. Intensly...with all of your heart.
Love you guys, Sky

Lori Clancy said...

Well now, somehow I'm not surprised at the progress Caleb has made! He looks super, even though hospitals gowns aren't necessarily a great fashion statement! Tell him if he ever needs a haircut Tom is good at cutting hair while the patient is propped up!! Sure helps with the serious bed head that can happen! And everyone out there, keep the money flowing in! We know how expensive an extended hospital stay can be!!! yikes!!!!!!! take care all of you!!! Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey All You Potters,
Hope all is well in Boston. Things are going fantastic as far as Caleb's fund and fund-raisering efforts here. Wellfleet is pulling together like I could have never imagined. The warmth and generousity of the Lower Cape is astonishing. Makes me want to never leave. Hope to see all of you soon. Best wishes to the Lad. I love and miss him SO much!!!
~Nicole (Judith's Girl ;) )