On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Billy, I miss you!


Caleb, India, Cedar (~10 yrs ago) apologies for the clearly under age drinking.... (it's Fleet!)

Well, hello, India here. Sharyn- thank you for the introduction! I miss you, girl- I want to snuggle you right up.
Firstly- I want to say hello to you, Caleb. I know you can read this! I saw you reading that newspaper! I am a daily blogger that would personally like to see you included in this blog- no more third person! Billy, I'm so glad I saw you, even just for that one night at Judith's cookout on the 2nd of July- you looked suave and handsome as ever- Jenny by your side- such a hotty- and clearly smitten. You rescued me from my stupid idea of trying to shuck an oyster by myself. You said, 'Judith, you're gonna cut your hand wide open!' thanks for that. (for those of you who are unfamiliar with our wacky nicknames- even I get confused sometimes- Billy is a flexible one, basically meaning Fleetion, or from Wellfleet. Judith is specifically Chris Miner- who did a spectacular guest blog a while back- and me. Caleb named me and Chris 'Judith' for who knows what reason?! But it stuck... And 'Jim' is Cedar and our buddy Donny...) Now that that is cleared up- I just want to tell you personally, Caleb- you're amazing and I truly love you. You are a pure, kind, hilarious, gorgeous, and loving guy- the best kind! I can't wait to squeeze those cheeks and maybe even sneek a kiss -don't tell my husband or Jenny :)


Okay- that said- I grew up with Caleb in Fleet. One of my earliest memories is of Sharyn and Jan walking me up and down the hall trying to get me to sleep- toddler sleep-overs are tricky! I remember Sharyn was always the coolest, hottest mom at Wellfleet Elementary- I used to wish you were my mom! (sorry Mama) Caleb was always himself in school- laughing, pushing the rules on the playground- digging, climbing...etc...


In highschool- look out! We were so wild! Most of us billys were in the alternative program at Nauset High- SWS- I think it's called. We had so much fun- bonfires were our fortay- all through the winter, every weekend. It was around this time that Caleb and Cedar invented the term- 'Jag it up'! A phrase I brought with me to Durango (CO where I live) although no one ever knows what I'm talking about. My mental image of Caleb in highschool is always the same- Messy hair, gorgeous smile, a smokey/musty/fiery smell, and always that red and black checkered flannel shirt- he's wearing it in the pic!!!! I love you Billy.


I'd like to mention this summer- I have lived in Durango, CO for 8 years now and this summer was my first opportunity to have an extended stay on the Cape during the summer. My husband, our two boys (5 and 3)and myself were on the Cape for 6 weeks. We arrived July 1st, I got to see Caleb at Judith's on the 2nd, and then the terrible accident on the 4th. It was heartbreaking- the circles in front of the town hall that first week was an experience I shall never forget. I've never felt terrible grief simeltaneously with complete awe and inspiration. Who knew that in a world of suffering and atrocities, there is a little town, sticking out in the Atlantic, so full of truly good people?! I suppose we should have known that before, but your accident, Caleb, brought kindness and love out of the woodwork in Fleet. It was truly amazing to wittness Wellfleet blossom into a center for support and problem solving. The fundraising efforts were phenomenal- everyone participated- truly everyone. 'Caleb's Wicked Jag' at the Wicked Oyster was a huge success- I know you saw that video that Kai and Shaye put together- ask them to show you the 'boobies for Caleb' part- it wasn't included even in the R rated section- don't let Kai keep it for himself!!!

So, in closing- thank you Caleb for sacrificing yourself for the betterment of our community- Welfleet truly is a better place for it- a place that we should all be very proud to be from. Thank you for starting the Pirate- Yellowbeard trend- way better than Spiderman and Batman! My 5 year old is planning his pirate costume for halloween, and I would bet that there will be many more little pirates in Fleet on the 31st! Thank you for always being you. To me, you are Wellfleet- I love you forever.
My son Isaiah (left) and Erin's son Clay doing there Yellowbeard Salute this summer...

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such cuties! Both the little boys at the bottom and the three of you up top--such great spirit and love. What a sweet guest post!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your post, and the pics! i wish i grew up in Fleet!!
thanks so much for sharing..... keep up the good progress caleb!!
hang in there sharyn!!
amy from ct

Anonymous said...

That was awesomely put India! Miss you!!

I loved the part of his stinky fiery button up checkered flannel.. I too remember that & it's smell, a reminder of the crazed jag we had over the weekend, never forget: "It's Friday Night, it's Friday Night" Never mind the phrase T.G.I.F our phrase for sure surpasses that one! Add a lil jig and you're golden!! Man Caleb, you are so loved. I am so glad you chose to fight this battle like a true pirate/lion/warrior instead of letting go. The world would be so different.. truly.

I was greeted by a bobcat family last night as I was checking out our lime tree after the sun went down, the old natives here of Fl see that as a very good sign ( I had just been speaking of Caleb to my bro-in-law in Guatemala) when you see them as they are reclusive. I saw clearly a Mama & 2 lil ones (so cute) They carry with them medicine of keen senses, silence, & as well offer protection & expertise of the path one is traveling and lend it's knowledge in maneuvering your developing natural internal power!! Thought that was kinda cool, and relevant to Caleb's current condition. I know Caleb would appreciate this type of medicine/sign. Love you Lebsta! Xo..

Anonymous said...

India -
Rock on Chicky! Love the post... The Red Flannel shirt is so true!! I can see Caleb strutting his way through Campus, lovin life as always!!

Anonymous said...

At this time I would like to ask all of you to send some of your positive energy, thoughts and prayers for Barbara Jordan. Another terrible tragedy for another true Fleetian.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

What happened to Barbara? Odd thing is i date Jamie whose grampa has dated Ruth (barbara's mom) for AGGGESSS. And i just saw Ruth and nothing was mentioned.

Caleb,
Jamie and I still want to work on your boat and now that waitressing is almost at an end..and hopefully Jamie can get free time-we can start. Our summer life is hectic but we think of you everyday, and im glad you are showing positive progress.

Much love,
Zana

Anonymous said...

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Two+hospitalized+after+motorcycle+crash&articleId=6d9957cd-af73-413a-9e39-23741a316c2c

Anonymous said...

I also would love to read a guest post from Nicole Miner- do it!!!

Anonymous said...

I think we've come to the conclusion that Nicole Miner MUST do a guest blog, right?

Powerful passage India. Caleb is the luckiest person!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, India, for a wonderful post so full of heart and humor.

Anonymous said...

INDIA,
That was GREAT!!! The guest blogs just keep getting better and better. I think that you top them all right alond side of Kai-Hole(Hehehe, don't tell my Hubby that I thought your's was better though...;) )

That was amazing, and you truely defined the meaning of Wellfleet. I am so greatful to be able to read the daily blog when it was so gracefully written by the hands of another Fleetian. I may only have been a Fleetian for 6 years now, but my Husband is a "Born and Raised", as well as my son, and I am "Fleetian at Heart". Wellfleet, and all of it's locals could make the strangest of strangers(lol, that sounded funny) feel at home. You are an amazing individual, Miss. India....Your personality reminds me alot of Sharyn....True to yourself, kind-hearted, and genuine....I will miss your little behind while you're in Durango. Please keep in touch, and when you come back, you know where we are....

Thanks again India!
~Nicole Miner
PS> I just realized that I always talk EVERYONE up on the blog when I write, and it kind of seems like butt kissing, but you know, truely, I just can't find the flaws in so many Lower Capers. We are part of a great bunch here, and I wouldn't want to be anyplace else. I'm SO PROUD to say that I'm from Fleet.

Anonymous said...

I just posted and realized that I never get to write to Caleb directly, and I really wanted to. So this is for you, Lad........

Dear Mr.Potter,
How are ya, Buddy? Missing you here in Fleet-Town, and can't wait for your return. Judith and I are doing just dandee, and My Little Leb started Pre-School today at Wellfleet Elementary. He is going to be a Pirate for Halloween just like his Uncle Poop and we will be sure to send you some pictures. Judith wants to come see you soon, and is "impatiently" waiting. He misses you more than I could ever explain...I think he loves you more than he loves me...hehehe, just joking, but it's a close call. ;)
Well anyway, we love you and miss you very much, and will be thinking of you this weekend at O.F.. Hope to see you soon, Lad.

Bye...
xoxoxoxoxoxox
~Nicole M.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh you kids? are growing up so fast.
Its Tim Tracy here in Montana following Calebs progress from the blog. My mind racing back to when India was just a kid and now you have a five year old.
I feel old. Its been over two years since I moved from Truro to Bigfork. I remember when Caleb was born like it was yesterday. I worked for Jan and helped to build both of the Potter homes.
Life is so precious and it flies by sooooo fast!
I am so happy that Caleb is getting better. Sometimes
in life people fade away but I will always love and feel close to the Wellfleet comunity that gave me so made beautiful days of joy and friendship.
I hope to see many of you next wek when I'm visiting Truro for a couple weeks.
you are right India...how lucky were all are/were to have grown up in such a place.
can't wait to come HOME,
Love to all
Tim

Anonymous said...

Great blog India!!!!!!

sorry to bring down the blog, but barbara was taken off life support, Rest In Peace Barbara Jordan. A true fleetian and also a fellow pirate. Say a prayer for those who are no longer with us tonight.
Much Love
Judith

Anonymous said...

God bless Barbara Jordan.

Wellfleet,MA

Anonymous said...

My prayers go out to Barbara's family and all of us, in the Fleetian family. Barbara was indeed a true Fleetian. Which means she played hard, she loved hard, and under that rough and tough exterior was a sensitive and big heart. She will surely be missed.

Anonymous said...

rest in peace "bone crusher"....
she was true original strong and hard livin fleetian.

Anonymous said...

Sympathy and prayers for Barbara Jordan's family and friends. Life is so precious let us all remember not to take it for granted

Anonymous said...

india,bravo.i personnaly didn't like the underage jaggers,but whatever!hope you and your family will be able to spend time with caleb soon.great pic of your son and clay.sharyn,there has been alot of miscommunication about barbara j. .she is still on life support and her family and friends are gathering together with her as i speak.i think of her as many do.she want's to come off as tough but in her heart she has always been the biggest sweetheart.hope everyone will pray for her and her family,and friends.she has always had such an impact on all of the people she befriended.caleb,see you soon.stay strong and stop giveing me anuerism's.peace and luv to barbrara and her family.on a dark day your's scro.

Anonymous said...

As someone who is peripheral on many sides- I offer my love and light to all those involved with Caleb always and now take a moment to think of Barbara Jordan...never any less than real. I am not the only one who will miss you and your place in my history of Wellfleet... with much love to all the people who love her and know her-fair winds Barbara Jordan, fair winds. This blog certainly is about Caleb and certainly also about Wellfleet. We all take pride in the capacity in which we connect. A wonder-filled anomaly in this world...it feels that we all really treasure. I send my thanks to Caleb, in the trauma of your experience comes a truly truly beautiful thing for the rest of us. Keep on Wellfleet...keep on.

Anonymous said...

For those of us who are part time Fleetians, I must say, the temptation to move back to the Cape is almost irresistable. ( I lived a while in Eastham on Coast Guard Beach, a lovely slice of heaven). If there were a way to bottle the love of life and joy in friendship expressed on these pages, what a powerful potion we would have ; what a gift it is you share with us. Thank you!
Caleb, keep fighting back, you will be home soon.
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

Anonymous said...

Yay India. Go Caleb! Thanks for the cute picture, all your Mom's must be thrilled. How awful about Barbara and her friend, thanks to the people for the updates. Lily's Mom

Anonymous said...

India,

Great story, greatn pictures! I hope you didn't get that Heineken at my Liquor Store...

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Sorry if I offended anyone with the underage Heineken- and Kevin- we probably did get it from your store! :) The picture was just irresistable! It's the flannel shirt that everyone remembers...
To all you youngens- don't drink till you're older- look what happened to me: always jumping the gun- I'm 25, I'm married with 2 kids! Take your time!!!!!