On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Is humor good medicine?

Hello to everyone in cyberspace here! Thanks for visiting! I think I will basically address this to all the wonderful visitors who don’t know Caleb and his family or even have ever been to Wellfleet before. I know there are a lot of you like that out there. You Fleetians and other great friends can just hum along to the lyrics with me here... I’m Kevin Scalley and I have managed the Liquor Store in Wellfleet Center since 1975. I have known the Lindsay/Potter family since I first moved to Wellfleet in 1975. I’ve had the great pleasure of watching Caleb, Kai and Max since their toddler days to today. As a father of two boys 16 and 19 I totally love watching all the kids growing up and I have a great time teasing all the kids I see.

“Is humor good medicine?” I ask in my post title. Well, I will let everyone here be the judge of that. About 5 or 6 years ago I was given a life size stand up cardboard cut out image of Elvira by the Bartles and James Wine Company for display purposes at the Liquor Store. Well, we all know how curvy Elvira is and I decided with a digital picture of Sharyn I had I would print a life size picture of her face and place it over Elvira’s to have everyone think it was Sharyn! I faced it pointing out the window of the Liquor Store to Main St. so everyone could see it. It was an absolute riot to watch people go by and you could read their lips saying “Isn’t that Sharyn?” I don’t know whose grin was bigger coming into the Liquor Store! Caleb, Kai or Max’s, let alone Sharyn! Did Sharyn ever say “Oh! Kevin I’m so embarrassed by this... Well, nooooooooo way! The Elvira cutout with Sharyn’s face stayed in the Liquor Store window a good year or so and finally it became faded from the sun and had to go to the dump. A proper burial ceremony was performed there. The good news is the real Sharyn hasn’t faded a bit!

Ok, here’s another one. Last spring Caleb and Sharyn had their picture in the paper while doing their landscaping work. Kai was MIA that day and was mad he didn’t make it into the newspaper picture. I cut the picture out of the newspaper and placed it in a counter mat the Lottery gave me that has a protective see through cover to display newsie type items. Now the fun begins, on a nightly basis when I’m not working numerous Lindsay/Potter family members come in and add mustaches, tattoos and insert a picture of the MIA Kai along with other art work. Just about every morning when I opened the Liquor Store a new addition of artwork would appear! I inserted a photo of their art work they had done on the newspaper photo below. Not to be out done Jodi a friend of Sharyn, myself and many others puts a picture from a newspaper of herself that was taken while she was teaching at school. Three Ring Circus you say? There are many very talented artists that live in Wellfleet and also that come for the summer. The Lindsay/Potter family will not put their professions at risk! I told the Potter boys I was going to ban the Lindsay/ Potter’s from the Liquor Store if their shenanigans kept up! Did they listen? Thank God No!


I presently in the counter mat at the Liquor Store have a newspaper article on Caleb that had appeared this summer after the accident for all who may have missed it. The Lindsay/Potter’s unquestionably make Wellfleet the special place that it is. I’m so glad I know them all!

One more thing, a lot of the guest bloggers have put a picture of themselves on their posts. I decided to include a recent picture of my self below here after a visit to my Liquor Store by one of the Lindsay/Potter clan!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, You are a good addition to the town as well. Lots of us appreciate knowing you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks kevin. Great pictures. A great beginning of this new day.
Booze & Blessings~ hope you shared that bottle xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

damn i got here third..oh well, hi kev.. so TELLING your blog today! i can smell main street by the way you write..i love you guy. you are a part of my day i can depend on (hmmm...what does that say about me!!?!?). nice snapshot! LB

Anonymous said...

Kevin, Thanks for the stories and sharing yourself. You bring a unique perspective and are clearly a good friend. Humor is highly valued/needed and you seem to have a gift for it. ann m.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
That's my town!

Anonymous said...

i've never loved a liquor store more...
kevin you're the bomb.

healing*kisses*hugs & love to caleb & mumsie von potter
xoxoxod

Anonymous said...

ooooopps...

i mean mumsie von lindsay

deirdre

Anonymous said...

PLEASE volunteer for the OYSTER FEST....

ANYONE can do it. you can choose from MANY jobs!
if you're reading this you are local enough!!

here's the link again (in case you missed Sky's posting 2 times back)

http://www.wellfleetoysterfest.org/howtohelp.html

Anonymous said...

hahahhaa, great morning after a great night. Thank you Kevin.

Shaye called Zack and I last night while returning from Spaulding and told us how great Caleb looked yesterday. He sent us a picture on his phone of Caleb just hanging out outside, twisting the top off a bottle of water, looking cool in his shades. It was so heart lifting to see him really look like himself. And it's great to think of Shaye smiling as he told the story.

This is gonna be a good day. . . I can feel it!

Caleb,
Amy and Shannon asked me yesterday to join them on the weekly Sunday afternoon Orangina/Rum Festival. They say it's just not the same without you there. Anything I should know before I tilt back a few with these biotches?
xoxox,
settie

Anonymous said...

Nice work Kevin, you not only provide laughter for us, but booooze as well! I remember wanting to steal that Sharyn cut out for myself and carry her with me! Thanks for all the smiles you make us crack. Be well.. Miss you Lyndsy/Potter Clan!
Xo. Clance

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another insight into my adopted second home which I wish was my real home. We walk Main St all the time; I wonder how many times I have passed the many people who post here and not known who they were or that they were "locals." Lisa B, we eat in the new Flying Fish all the time, and we also ate in it back when you must have owned it but never knew who owned it then.
We will be back this weekend, and I will be keeping my eyes peeled to see if I now can recognize some of you folks.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin, about that Sharyn/Elvira cutout... I hope you left it at the Swap Shop. Some folks don't mind faded. Who knows, it might just reappear someday.

Great post... see you soon.
Jerry G

Anonymous said...

Will never forget Lisa B handing us coffee out the back door of the fish the morning after Hurrican Bob when the health department had closed the place from the front door. I only know Lisa to see her but feel like I know all of you. So glad to be part of Wellfleet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin

Nice to put another great guest blogger's face to a name. From the start of this blog, your comments have been touching, spot-on and always funny (must be the Dewars!) Wellfleet's lucky to have you! Keep up the great posts.

Deb - Groton, MA

Anonymous said...

Nice picture Kevin! I had forgotten about when Sharyn was Elvira that was funny. Thanks for making us smile.

Anonymous said...

Hey kevin those are some great stories. You always have positive and funny stories to tell. i log on every morning and every night before i leave work, just to read all the beautiful words that spill from every ones key boards and learn about all the progress caleb is making....Hugs your cousin Shannon Burke( what is it 2nd, 3rd? ha)

Anonymous said...

kevin
u r 2 much. Thanx for all the help you give this town, its more then the $$$ u donate and the posters you put in the window.. or the tickets you sell for rec or some other charitable event. its the fact that you care about the families that live day to day in this town. You and your store are a center piece for community service. You have been more then kind to my family and I just want to thank you for that. Sharyn do you remember OUR TOWN.I think Caleb and you had a part in that play ....oh thats right you were the star!(one of the many1)
I think this place called WELLFLEET is OUR TOWN and its people like you and Kevin and a cast of thousands that make it that way! what a place to grow .
hope to see you all soon
xoooxXOOOXxoxox
FRANNY D

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

an interesting group this
von lindsey/von potter clan....
they decided they want to introduce you to the most important folks in their lives....first immediate family....psuedo siblings a school teacher and the liquor store owner.....LOL....my kinda people.!!!!
but seriously you guys really illustrate what community really is

Anonymous said...

sharyn,like all the other bloggers i would like to say fogiveness is nice,but the truth heals.whenever i would get down you were the one i came to.you however have an army at your fingertips(who ever thought the internet would've survived this long,thanx al gore)use them to rant and cheer at.also,nothing wrong with screaming.i luv you and look forward to your words everyday.strength to you and caleb and will see you soon.kevin you are a funny,funny person.i had forgotten about that cut out of sharyn.when i worked for you it would get moved around alot and i would always get so scared when it was in a new spot or around a corner.good job and can see how the von potter\von lynsday clan could drive tou to the bottle.power to yellow beard and much luv to everyone even mr. scrooge.tiny timalah

Anonymous said...

sharyn,like all the other bloggers i would like to say fogiveness is nice,but the truth heals.whenever i would get down you were the one i came to.you however have an army at your fingertips(who ever thought the internet would've survived this long,thanx al gore)use them to rant and cheer at.also,nothing wrong with screaming.i luv you and look forward to your words everyday.strength to you and caleb and will see you soon.kevin you are a funny,funny person.i had forgotten about that cut out of sharyn.when i worked for you it would get moved around alot and i would always get so scared when it was in a new spot or around a corner.good job and can see how the von potter\von lynsday clan could drive tou to the bottle.power to yellow beard and much luv to everyone even mr. scrooge.tiny timalah

Anonymous said...

Kevin- Thanks for sharing all of your memories of the Potter gang with us! It really is a touching, yet hysterical story. I'm sure Caleb and his family and friends appreciate hearing about how the young lad affected so many peoples lives. He's probably reading your blog and laughing. It's an amazing gift and a true joy to bring Caleb a smile in this chaotic situation. Thank you for making all of us giggle and for giving Caleb a big grin! Peace!

Anonymous said...

Kevin.......your kids must think you're the coolest dad ever! Lucky kids!

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
Great job Dude! I'm sure you've done the Lindsay/Potter clan & Wellfleet proud! I want to move to Wellfleet! You guys rock! Miami is looking kind of boring right about now. I continue to keep Caleb & Family in my thoughts and prayers!
Much peace and love,
TC

Anonymous said...

I know.....we can call you "Kevin Von Bubbly"....kidding aside, you are all lucky to have each other! I've enjoyed reading your posts, which show sensitivity, humor, insight, and great caring for this fantastic family. Thank you for sharing your life stories for those of us who have only met the Von Lindsay/Von Potter clan. Eash story confirms and affirms life itself. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy life.....

Loved it all as I'm sure Mr. Caleb Von Potter did.

Thanks from the heart,

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Kevin,


Cmon' now.....tell the truth.....we all know it was a blown up photo of me ...not Elvira, that you put Sharyn's face on....you know , it's funny....the same thing seems to happen in Playboy and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.....I see my body all over these magazines....somehow they get them and superimpose someone else's face on them!!!....hhmmmm....aren't you a computer wizard?? hhmmmm.......jodi

Anonymous said...

Kevin,


Cmon' now.....tell the truth.....we all know it was a blown up photo of me ...not Elvira, that you put Sharyn's face on....you know , it's funny....the same thing seems to happen in Playboy and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition.....I see my body all over these magazines....somehow they get them and superimpose someone else's face on them!!!....hhmmmm....aren't you a computer wizard?? hhmmmm.......jodi