On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jennie update!!!

These are pictures from last week because I was having problems putting them up using my computer. Caleb is in therapy right now but at 3pm, he has physical therapy and that is when he walks. Since he is doing such a good job, the nurses said I can walk down the hall with him, so I am going to get some pictures taken of that so that everyone can see his ongoing progress. I will post them tonight when I get home from Boston. And I really do promise I will post them tonight, so check back.


Caleb and I lodging outside, enjoying the sunshine!!!

Caleb walking down the stairs...looking good buddy!!!


Caleb walking down the halls with his PT's and his walker, but now he walks down the hall almost all by himself.

Katie, Caleb and Mikie going for a stroll around the Charles River.


Caleb playing catch with Mikie. As you can see, the gardens outside Spaulding are beautiful.


Today was a good day for Caleb and he had a lot of visitors. He is gaining a lot of his strength back and I can tell this by the way he gets out of bed and the way he walks by himself around his room. He now weighs 132 lbs and reallying beginning to fill out. He is still learning how to use his voice at the correct volume and we recently learned why he is having trouble with that. Caleb went to Mass Eye and Ear yesterday for extensive test on his eyes and ears. They came to the conclusion that Caleb has significant hearing loss in his right ear. Therefore, it is hard for him to hear himself speak, and that is why he speaks so low and almost in a whisper. As for his left eye, the optical nerve is too damaged to be repaired. The optical nerve was damaged when his temperal bone, which is part of his skull, was fractured and went into his brain. I know this sounds a little graphic, but it is reality and it will better help you truly understand his injuries. His orbital bones, which are the bones that hold his eye, also was fractured in my places, and it made his eye "drop" a little down. Therefore, his eyes are not in line, meaning that if Caleb was even able to see at this point, he would have very bad double vision because his eyes are not on the same plane.
Matt Parent brought some oysters up for Caleb to open. When I watched him throw his gloves on and pick up the oyster knife, I had tears in my eyes. It was almost like the old times, when I would go watch Caleb in our yard working with all his oysters and gear, and that is truly when he is the happiest...He was so concentrated in what he was doing and he opened 4 oysters and handed them out to us to eat.
Caleb has 6 different therapies today and when I walked in this morning he was already resting in a little ball in his bed, because he knew he had such a long day ahead of him. He is up for every task them give him here and says thank you to every nurse to comes in the room. We want to take these nurses home, they are just soo sweet and always want to make sure Caleb is happy and comfortable and they always come in with huge smiles. They are actually asking us for some of those bracelets that we are all wearing that say, "Pray for Caleb Potter." Sharyn and I are thinking about getting some more made up. I meet the mother of the children who came up with the idea of the bracelets at The Juice a couple weeks ago... thanks again for the bracelets, they are a hit!!! I have two on my arm and have not taken them off since I bought them.
Well, sorry this so long again, I try to keep them short, but there so much good stuff to write about. Caleb is working so hard and ready to come home. He still has a long way to go for his brain to heal, but we all have the time in the world.....love you all
-love jennie

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, jennie, don't ever apologize for writing so much - your posts are the best!!!! they're all about caleb, how he is, what's happened, what's happening, etc...and your loving, selfless way of describing things is so refreshing! he looks wonderful and will continue to thrive when he gets home to wellfleet. thanks, again, for your words.

Anonymous said...

thanks jennie, again it was a wonderful post and love the pics too. we appreciate you putting them up for us. the bracelets and those cool t-shirts from the oysterfest....i am sure there are a few of us out here is cyber land that would love to purchase these items to help out our new friend caleb. let us know if that is possible.
thanks again
amy in ct

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jennie - your pictures and writings are priceless and they are much appreciated.

Alycia said...

Thanks, Jennie, for such a great post--the pictures are awesome! Caleb, the work is tough but keep it up--you're looking good. (And as we now all know from Ken's post, you've got that great DNA behind you!)

Like Amy from ct I too would love a t-shirt (I couldn't make it to the Oysterfest) & another bracelet--I left mine in the meditation room at kripalu. Thanks again Jennie, and love to all. Alycia

Amy St.John said...

Jennie, you are so good at writing...I love it when you post!! Not that sharyn is any slouch, but you have a way of being so fresh and honest and it makes me happy. looking forward to seeing you all together here in fleet....I dreamed all last night about caleb and sharyn. Love to all...amystjohn

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

You guys are all looking so fall fresh and adorable in your hoodies.
So nice to see how vibrant Caleb is looking and seeing smiles on his has that come from a place way deeper than just his face.
I would also like to say, I would love to buy a few t-shirts and braclets.
Also Hello to Goatlady, who I noted was at Kripalu.......
Funny Just Yesterday I was saying to my boyfriend that I had a fantasy, that when Caleb,Jennie and Shayrn regain a bit more "normal" life, They come do a Seva visit at kripalu.

Anonymous said...

O Jennie, More, more words and pictures! It sounds like Caleb is doing great and it also sounds like you are being very realistic about all the work he still has to do. I expect that there will usually be an explanation for his behavior that just needs to be discovered (like the hearing loss). While his injuries are extensive he has shown such spunk I know we are not alone in our faith that he will recover.

Sky said...

jennie,
i just read your post out loud to my mom. the smile spread across my lips and the tears came to my eyes...as they well should! your words are beautiful and we are all so grateful that you share them with us. thank you for the details. listen to that anatomy knowledge of yours! you've been studying, haven't you!?! ;) it's nice to know that caleb had those eye and ear tests. it seems we'll have to "ARRRRR" a little louder when standing to his right!
all is heal-able. the body is a powerful system and it can be trained to do "miraculous" things.
we are all so blessed.
with love,
sky

blackbird said...

thanks for the progress report!
Sounds like he's doing well...

Sky said...

p.s. i just love that photo of katie, caleb and mike! so sweet.

oh and i just found this quote that i want to share with you all...

“A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.”

-Donna Roberts

Anonymous said...

Never apologize Jennie, your words bring such joy to us all. You can feel the love you have for Caleb floating off the computer.
Love the pictures! Mumsie looks adorable in her scarf.

Keep up the good work Caleb, you are an amazing soul.

J

becky said...

AMAZING!!!!!!! You can just see in the pictures how much stronger Caleb has gotten and I never knew him before the accident. (well I technically don't "KNOW" him now....). I just read your blog and looked at the pictures through tears running down my face! you all are so fortunate to have each other! The smiles in the pictures are contageous! Keep it up, good luck and you are still in my daily prayers!

Anonymous said...

Jennie, thank you for the post and for including those pictures. It means a lot to everyone to be able to see how good Caleb seems and it shows how well he's been progressing. Keep up the good work, Caleb!

Neil and Carrie

becky said...

And as a P.S. I've never heard of a real pirate that didn't have a patch over one eye.............

Anonymous said...

Driver in skateboard incident faces fines
WELLFLEET- A local man will face a $300 fine but no jail time in connection with an incident that left a Wellfleet man critically injured last Independence Day. 27-year-old Shaye Cavanaugh admitted sufficient facts to operating negligently in that he allowed 25-year-old Caleb Potter to hang onto his bumper while skateboarding. Potter is still in the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital recuperating.

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds weird, because I don't know any of you, but this blog has come to mean a great deal to me. I can't go a day without reading it. Not just because I care about what happens to Caleb, but because each day I learn something important and new about family, friendship, and unconditional love.

Thank you Lindsey/Potter family, Jennie, and guest bloggers for generously sharing your photos and your life with us.

NY/Wellfleet mom

Anonymous said...

"NY/Wellfleet mom", thank you..

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennie, thanx for the beautiful letters. I always wonder what you do? could you tell us a little about yourself. do you need anything? Let me know if i can help you in any way. Love, one of the moms

Anonymous said...

Jennie,

Don't apologize for writing... Keep writing! It is amazing to think of where Caleb was a few months ago and to see how he is now in the great pictures you post! Your candor is a beautiful thing...

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jennie... thanks for posting the photos too. It's wonderful to be able to *see* Caleb's progress. It looks like he's doing really well. His perseverance and hard work are paying off!
Jerry G

moonmolly3 said...

Jennie,
What a wonderful update to read at the end of a long day and the beginning of a windy Wellfleet night. The pictures made my heart sing and your enthusism carried warmth and joy to all of us!
Love,
A Librarian

Anonymous said...

Way to go Caleb....lookin' good.

Jennie, your updates are always great. Don't worry about them being long...it takes as many words to share the details as it takes. Nothing less.

also interested in the t-shirts if you could direct us non-fleeters to a source.
J

Alycia said...

Yes, thank you NY/Wellfleet Mom--I was trying to explain this blog to my husband, and why I am so captivated by it. (It is, in fact, the only blog I have ever followed). You have articulated my same feelings beautifully. Alycia

Anonymous said...

Jennie,
Thanx so much for the details. You should BE a nurse! You rock, & I can feel/hear the enthusiasm in your posts, and your close attention to Caleb's progress, and diagnosis. Feel free to write away, even when you haven't visited.. you always have such optimistic words, as does Sharyn. He is so lucky. And Mike D.. holy... your hair looks killa! Glad you & Katie got there to bring your cheery selves to chill with the lad.

Caleb, your fillin out buddy.. you look awesome!
Much love to you all..xo...me, Clance

Alycia said...

PS: Also hello back to Tracy in the Berkshires! It was my first visit to Kripalu (for a Julia Cameron workshop), but I want to come back for a yoga-focused stay....

Anonymous said...

Jennie -

I LOVE that you can so easily say "we have nothing but time" - It feels so right!!!

I also LOVE how great Caleb looks
and say ditto re: Becky's take on the eye patch. Brilliant!!

Love to you and yours from me and mine -

Susan

Anonymous said...

Jennie...Never apologize. I read each and every post. They are all so precious. Thank you for the pictures. Great to see Caleb's progress.

Peggy from Western Massachusetts

Anonymous said...

Whenever you post Jennie, I think, "Caleb Potter is a lucky Bastard!" Your loving soul comes thru in each post. Keep up the good work, you'll have him home soon!

Anonymous said...

Jennie,You are truly a blessing in Caleb's life. Your warmth and unconditional love pour out of this page like honey in the morning.....so sweet.... so full of light and hope.
We all have learned so much about living and loving and coping from your words, don't be afraid to keep them flowing. They are a balm for our soul.
Caleb, your determination is awesome in it's intensity. I have nothing but admiration for your fighting spirit, and how far you have come. Keep on fighting,the loving arms of all are waiting for you to come home.
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you and Caleb. YOU seem so much happier, and CALEB seems so much stronger and healthier. Don't let anything keep you down..........You're doing great. :)

I think that you are a wonderful thing for Caleb, Jennie! I really, truely think that he appreciates you being there so steadily for him. He looks happy in ALL his pictures, but there is an obvious difference when he is with you....his smile is more like a GLOW. You're the best Jennie Boo!!!

Nicole Miner

Anonymous said...

Jennie,

I have been following this every day and admire all of you so much. I actually recognize many of you from being around Wellfleet. This past weekend I saw you and wanted to say something but I didn't want to intrude. The bond of friendship and love is created by all of life's experiences both positive and negative---and all of you have the strongest of bonds. My thoughts are with all of you and I continue to be thrilled by Caleb's progress. Please tell all of us who are so concerned if there is anything else at all that any of you need.

Anonymous said...

Jennie,

I have been following this every day and admire all of you so much. I actually recognize many of you from being around Wellfleet. This past weekend I saw you and wanted to say something but I didn't want to intrude. The bond of friendship and love is created by all of life's experiences both positive and negative---and all of you have the strongest of bonds. My thoughts are with all of you and I continue to be thrilled by Caleb's progress. Please tell all of us who are so concerned if there is anything else at all that any of you need.

Anonymous said...

jennie! how do you get your coat over those wings?? you are an angel!

Eva said...

Does Caleb have vision in his other eye?

Anonymous said...

i havent posted in awhile but I have still been checkng almost everyday and am so thankful for Caleb's beautiful progress...I wanted to thank Matt for doing the oysters in honor of Caleb at my parents annual "vondaluchie" party...(i myself dont even knw what that means!)Everyone loved Matt&I heard he made it very special,so thank you.

I send all my love from Portland, thinkng abt Caleb and you all evryday
-Claire W.