On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dear Caleb,
As I watch from afar, and nurture from near, I am always smitten with the integrity with which you live your life...in spite of all that has happened to you...... while I tend to be suspicious...you have not altered your belief in people, you have not stopped smiling, when tears are far easier for me to let loose than laughter, you are positive and giving, while I fight to stay afloat and draw in, and you beilieve in yourself, while I have discomforting doubts.
Like marriage vows, you repeat your intentions , and I in the congregation believe in you and hope that you will beat the odds.
You have taught me more about life than I have learned in a lifetime., and you have caused the
temperature of my heart to be altered from a chill to a fine burning ember that glows for you.

Late at night when I cannot any longer sleep, I steal away to your room. I lie down to watch your brewing breath and I snuggle while you suck in life in a way that I have never been capable of doing. I have often wondered how one human can be so negative, while another meters with magic.

Life is given to us as a gift, but not many of us take it... you, my Caleb, prior to your accident and still now, know the fine art of receiving.......We are nearsighted beings..so busy with the things that take time and which give us a false sense of importance, but you have slowed to a fine tuned, sensual song, and while you dance the day away......other's are rushed; while you sit silently, other's are haughty, vying to be heard, while you dream, other's are distorting.... you have bravely taken your life beyond and to a breaking point, which was such a fragile move, and in it's fragility has become a strength...and while you sit back and observe....... I am observing you -
how I am smiiten with you...really, no different than the first second I laid eyes on you!

18 comments:

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Pure poetry, Sharyn. A breathtakingly beautiful tribute to your son.

Wow.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Anonymous said...

sweet love

Marcia said...

Sharyn,

Often I wonder if we learn more from our children than we teach them!

Enjoy. Have a great day.

I'm going to be in Wellfleet on Friday...I'll give you a call to see if our paths can cross!

Hope you are enjoying this wonderful weather.

marcia

Claus said...

Sharyn,
beautiful...
Caleb,
keep being you!

Love,
Claus

justjane said...

Sharyn,
Another heartfelt entry. Your words have surely strengthened more of us over the past year than you possibly know. I check in often and are amazed at the depth in which you can still so eloquently reveal these personal insights. You have moved me to start a blog of my own, but I have not the emotional flow that evolves from such turmoil in life.
The storms of last week stirred up the sands and rocks I love from Lecount's to Cahoon's, and as I walked this week, I wrote so well in my own mind, but nothing compared to what you share. I get home and it's never the same. It's so easy for me to question life when feeling the elements and bounty of the Wellfleet dunes.
I have time on my hands this summer, and have often thought about visiting Caleb for some art lessons. I know that he and Kai were going to paint at one point, but I never heard if it was time enjoyed. I have almost approached Kai on the beach several times, but that handsome young man of your always has a following, and I didn't want to interrupt. Sharyn, if you and your boys would like a break, I'd gladly come with paint and brushes and entertain Caleb for a bit. Clay might be another outlet he would enjoy. Just let me know and I'll be there. Jane McG

amy in ct said...

we are so priveledged to be witness to the love in this family
thank you so much for letting us be a part of your life
peace and prayers
amy in ct

Lisa said...

Sharyn,

Beautiful post. I want to share with you another blog spot. It is lesliekamm.blogspot.com This is a mother of a young man hurt in the war. His hometown is not far from us, I have been following for about a month. This family too needs all of our prayers. We all have learned what the power of prayer can do. It creates miracles, and Kevin could use all of our help. Thank you
Peace and love
Lisa in Pa

Amy said...

Sharyn, What a beautiful love song to your child. Don't we all just fall in love at first sight when we see them born? Motherhood is a true gift.

Amy from western MA

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

I echo what has been said. Sharyn, beautifully written and like Marcia I think I am learning things from my kids all the time. About life and about me.
Jeff

Lisa K. said...

Dear Sharyn,

As always your gifts leap from the page like fireflies in a summer backyard. Thank you for always letting us see your light. However small it may seem to you at a given moment, your light changes the beauty of the whole yard. All of us see more clearly because of it.

The love you so eloquently express in your letter to Caleb has carried you all through to this point, and will continue to do so as you all continue to light each others' way. Much peace and love to you, Lisa K.

kolleen said...

love listens
love sees
love feels
love enters your nostrils
love is warm
love is real
you and he are so real
love resounds
and love will keep you whole
xoxo kolleen

Anonymous said...

How beautiful, this love song for your child. Thank you
As always, with hope,
peg from pA

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Write a book!!!


Kevin

penny on st.john said...

A beautifully written expression of love from you to Caleb. Thank you for sharing those words.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Best wishes and love,

Penny

grace said...

Sweetest thing ive'e ever read!

Anonymous said...

just when I thought the day couldn't get any more beautiful, here I am @ a little table on the sidewalk in the sun in Santa Cruz, being serenaded by accordian and violin amongst buzzing bees and catmint...and your heart.

one could grow fat just on the scraps of love that fall from your banquet, sharyn.

xoxo anna h.

jff said...

A beautiful tribute, Sharyn and a reminder to me that I can't think of two people I would rather be with more than my children, they light up my life so uncondi-tionally. A reminder to let them know that now and not have them read it some day later....thank you Sharyn..

Mommato2 said...

A beautiful letter to your dear boy...