On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

We are bound as a family to Caleb and his physical/ mental condition, so instead of trying to overcome it, which would be futile and frustrating, we instead simulate his handicap in order to understand it. We have all slowed down a pace; we all talk a bit more leisurely, we saunter to wherever we are destined to go , we mosey through meals, we delay chores,.... in short, we are living the way that I believe we were all meant to-- a fine tuned, metronomic pace of slowly measured ticks that moves us through the day...not huridly, but well marked and almost casual... as if we are living in a dream.
.....and the effects on our personalities? well..I should have behaved this way long ago. Not much can ruffle me, not much can shock me, not much can give rise to my temper.... I have lived through hell and have come through the other side of darkness back to light. I appreciate more, and the subtle changes in my personality are welcomed guests who I wish will never take leave.

It is by no means a picnic having a child who has suffered so many humilities as Caleb has. It is no means a simple task to traverse the choppy waters of suicide with your children, ...but long ago in a younger phase of my life I vaguely recall a dream I once had where as an older woman, I was standing with my three sons , old and tired and towered over by them now that I had shrunken to a diminished size. But it is the look in their eyes that I remember clearly as they peered down on me with love and I call to mind the fullness of pride that welled up inside...and I know that we will make it to that very same point...... somewhere down the line.

13 comments:

Susanna said...

You are already there (except for the old and tiny part). Isn't it amazing that with all the awful stuff that has happened since Caleb's accident that such good can come out of it too. When caleb misspoke about his real mother who knows what he really meant. Prehaps he just wanted to be little again and wanted you to be you at 32!

Mommato2 said...

You are an amazing Momma, and your boys are very lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for Caleb. I heard about him today while driving to my mom's and listening to a repeat of the Michaelangelo Signoreli show, and he had driven through town and saw the signs. I will pray for you too as you go through this. My mom had a stroke 2 years ago on July 8th and me and my family is well familiar with the touch and go situation and the fear and the angst. That was two years ago and today she is doing so much more than doctors ever thought and is enjoying her life. My prayer is that two years from now if not sooner Caleb will be even better, especially with his age and spirit on his side. :-)

Deb said...

Sharyn,

You have been to hell and back to the light. Although I considered you strong before you are strong in a different way now. It is very hard to put in words so I won 't. I know when you read this you will understand.

I continue to pray for not only for Caleb but for your family.

amy in ct said...

sharyn
when i read these uplifting posts, i cannot tell you what it does for ME inside :)
it is selfish of me to say that but it is important for me to tell you how you make me feel...

you have been deep in hell, more than once and you have made it back to the glimmering light of day each time.
i pray that your trips do not take you to hell anymore... i pray that they keep you in the healing sunlight of your life.
keep that pace, enjoy your boys.... they are by your side and always will be

peace and prayers
amy in ct

Ellen Webb said...

I have always felt that the gift of "real problems" is that the other problems take their rightful place. Love, El

Deb said...

Amy- going to be at any craft fairs in CT or MA

Amy said...

Sharyn, as others have already said, it seems like you are already there---the glue that holds your family together---and those three young men know it for sure, whether they say it out loud or not. It is very obvious that you are all a closely knit web that has weathered many a storm even before July 4, 2007, and it is that web that continues to hold up under all these newer storms.

I find that Wellfleet itself slows down the pace for me. I breathe each breath more carefully here, measuring every moment so that when I return to western MA and all that means in terms of work and life, I can still step back into "Wellfleet time" now and then and breathe more slowly, talk more slowly, and walk more slowly.

I hope to run across you again while I am here.

Amy from western MA

grace said...

The way of living that you describe and call your new way is an extrordinary one that many people may never know. It's a calm peaceful way to go about the days and let things flow. I've been working at that liesure life for sometime and i finally realized to just take it a bit slower, don't worry so much, and let the to -do list last longer. L0ve u lady!

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

We easterners tend to be a little on the hyper side, moving fast, talking more quickly, dashing here and there. And of course when some of us think of Wellfleet and the Cape we think of vacation and slowing down and moving at a liesurely pace and just assume that this is the way it always is for everyone there. Also living in a vacation area, I know how wrong that assumption is. We sometimes move even quicker because we have to cover more ground and consider the traffic.

In martial arts you learn how easy it is to throw off balance something that is moving quickly and how more difficult it is with something that is grounded.

Out of times of trial there are little gifts that come along if we are open to receiving them. While slowing down is not always convenient it does provide an opportunity to become grounded again and to move more in cync with the natural rhythms of the earth and you all are moving with the flow rather than fighting the tide.

I send you good thoughts as you seek out the balance that is stimulation and free movement. I am sure that you will find that balance and that you will all be better off for it.

Claus said...

Sharyn,
You certainly have been to hell and back, and it is good to hear you are seeing the light. It is appropriate, as you have always been a source of "light" with all of its meanings: brightness, illumination, lightheartedness, blonde(!), spiritual, awake...

I always admire the way yo can step back, analyze, reflect and see things for the way they are and make the best out of the, take new learning from every experience.

Keep doing what you are doing.
You are wonderful.
Love,
Claus

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Not much I can add to the comments that hasn't already been said by the wonderful people here...

Keep up the great work!

Kevin

Unknown said...

What a beautiful blog, what a great dream! Thanks for sharing.