On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, February 25, 2008

"If I Had To Live My Life Over" -By Erma Bombeck

(Written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn! With my grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's"; more "I'm sorry's."
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it...live it and never give it back.
STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!
Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what. Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.
Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with, and what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, and emotionally. I hope you have a blessed day.

13 comments:

blackbird said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, Sky is back with words of wisdom and humor. It's so good to see your name on the blog! I look forward to more of your insight and thoughts, photos, poetry, etc. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Dear sky...in Shanghai!!! I/we am so blessed to have had the chance....indeed ...to have the chance....to assist the Great Spirit in the miracle that is YOU...sky-o..(yurt-borne...no less!!!)

..a sweet day to YOU on that side of the world...(if you dig a hole deep enough....will ya really get to china???)....smiles ...light!ly....dada and GB.... in the Hollow...at this edge of the Blue..

Anonymous said...

hey folks.....in blog-land..check out:

http://www.skyinshanghai.blogspot.com/

light!ly....ch/dad

Anonymous said...

I've seen one like this before called I'd pick more daisies.
I have posted this before but love it.

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items
in front of him. When class began, wordlessly he picked up a large
empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks right to
the top, rocks about 2" diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them
into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled
into the open areas between the rocks. The students laughed.

He asked his students again if the jar was full? They agreed that
yes, it was.

The professor then picked up a box of sand and poured it into the
jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life.
The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health,
your children - anything that is so important to you that if it were lost,
you would be nearly destroyed.

The pebbles are the other things in life that matter, but on a smaller
scale.
The pebbles represent things like your job, our house, your car.

The sand is everything else. The small stuff.

If you put the sand or the pebbles into the jar first, there is no room for
the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and
time on the small stuff, material things, you will never have room for the
things that are truly most important.

Pay attention to the things that are critical in your life. Play with your
children. Take your partner out dancing.

There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner
party and fix the disposal." Take care of the rocks first - the things that
really matter.

Set your priorities. The rest is just pebbles and sand.

Love and strength to you Sharyn and Caleb and all the other bloggers

Ali Manchester UK

Anonymous said...

-- to Ali...dear ali...in Manchester....my suggestion would be to ......at some point....pour...dribble....splash ...in ....some ocean water....it'll all-ways fit in there....somewhere....and just seems to connect it all together...


from THIS side of the Atlantic...to THAT side!!!.;-D...light!ly.....ch/dad

Anonymous said...

Dear Sky,
I just knew it; Caleb's friends will not drift away and you are living proof of that. He is blessed as are we all by your timely entries. Thanks.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Yay Sky in Shanghai!! Eat some dim sum for me. Love, Susanna

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sharyn,
I am sorry to be writing now, I hadn't been online since Friday, wanting to take a step back from the cyber world..

I hope you take some real solid time for you, you deserve some privacy, quiet moments, & time with your family.. I hope to speak with you guys soon, maybe this weekend?

Much Love.. xo.. Clance

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sky.

How exciting to be in Shanghai! Safe travels!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Anonymous said...

Sky,
I took your Dad's suggestion and looked at your skyinshanghai blog,
and loved it. Great pictures of a place I know nothing about. What an adventurous education you're getting!
take care,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Dear Sky...and Sharyn....and Caleb....and indeed the Whole of this Amazing circle.....I went over for a brief visit to Sapokonish Way.. of a bright sunshiney afternoon....as I took the turn in at the corner....what should I see but a half a dozen ......
Wild Geese...uhhhh.."skinny dipping "
in the nook, there, on Long Pond......and then...THIS morning...these words found me again (I remember Leila merl sharing these words with parents on "parents night" at Nauset....when both Sky and Kai were....hmmmm...sophomores???")....
'nuff said....these words... now....in seconds ...wing their way from Cape Cod to China....and Back again.....whewie!!!!...I think, perhaps we have read these words HERE....in bloggings, passed!!



WILD GEESE

by Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting —
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
********************************
from Dream Work by Mary Oliver
published by Atlantic Monthly Press
© Mary Oliver

Anonymous said...

wow. I read that over and over again. Being presently at a place in my life where I am trying to weave the web that I want to live, these words are so moving. Sharyn, you will be alright. We all have our demons and fears that plague us through our life, keeping us trapped in a secret terrified state that holds us back from so much of the beauty and joy that life has to offer. I see you and I want to make sense of all you are feeling, all you have been through, and all of the changes ahead. I have sat with friends and we have made entire conversations out of " the good things that never would have happened if caleb had never been hurt" and we count all those good ones, those beautiful ones, and the ones that made us laugh. It is a hard thing to do, but what other choice is there? If Jennie can walk alone to her car in the dark, that is a good thing. If I can try harder to always forgive and love those who are hard to love and hard to forgive, that is a good thing. We all can do these things, we just have to be reminded sometimes...and sometimes that reminder is quite a load to handle.
Sending love to you all...amystj