On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It is always in my words to others that I am made aware that, I too need to pay attention to those words.

A friend is witness to troubles with a daughter, and was sharing her fears. ...my words to her were ... let her know that you are aware that she has her own guidance system in tact, and that you trust her completely. ...... Hummmmmm.
Now I see that I should eat those words, because it is just what I needed to hear to avoid the fear that bubbles up in me concerning the boys. Often times, I believe, it is in our advise to others that we find the information that we need also...or perhaps more so.

Caleb had his first Doctor's visit yesterday - shocking since we have been home since January and have not had to have any medical attention for him. This was just routine blood work.

We are pleased that some of the nurses from MGH will be taking the time to stay with us this summer...they became extended family after so long a stay, and I was deligted beyond belief to hear the familiar bubbling voices on the end of the line. Kai's graduation is hovering on the horizon, and Max and Caleb have their own guidance.

We are looking forward to looking forward and with all the ups and downs and cycloned emotions, we still wake with an outlook that says -- I would not want to miss this day. Another opportunity to love.

10 comments:

Julie said...

You are so right on the money when you talk about advice and others. I can't figure out my own life and I let stress build beyond belief, then I hear myself talking to a friend or co-worker and think, when did I become so smart?
Clarity comes sometimes from just talking it out or really listening.
You are amazing Sharyn and I am so glad you keep writing, I bet that helps too.

J

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Yesterday is gone...
Today is here...
Tomorrow never comes...
Your right, don't miss today!

Always enjoy,
Kevin

Lisa said...

I think we are all guilty of not listening to our own words...from time to time....I guess it is just easier to offer comfort and support to others. I can offer advice and a good ear to my husband, children, family and friends, but, my turn I turn into a blubbering idiot. We have had a year of utter joy and utter sorrow, the ups and downs are hard to balance, but I too know sometimes if you talk and listen it helps soooo much. Keep talking, keep listening keep loving.
Lisa in Pa

Sonia F said...

"I would not want to miss this day. Another opportunity to love."

That is a phenomenal sentiment, Sharyn. Wonderful.

Uncle Judith said...

nurses huh....... sounds good.

amy in ct said...

so true so true....
a friend told me today that he once heard that we are all angels, here to touch each other's lives with the words that we say and the things that we go thru. and because we might go thru a trying time and wonder....why me? the truth is that we are going thru it to help others.... (i am paraphrasing here)

not sure if i buy into the whole story but the theory sounds good. i have often wondered why god put me, put my son... thru such turmoil the last few years... but we have grown from the experiences.

i have grown from your experiences.... your words heal me, and i hope that my words heal others as well.
live for today.... love for today...
enjoy
amy in ct

Arozana said...

The past is history, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift which is why it is called the present.

That was todays quote on my calendar. I thought it was a good one for this blog!!

-Arozana

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Your advice to your friend is wise. And your willingness to step back, examine, and understand how this advice can be applied to your own situation is commendable.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Claus said...

Sharyn,
In my first career when I taught conflict resolutions skills to educators and students, we often came accross the phrase "we teach what we need to learn the most", perhaps that it is relevant in regards to listening to you orwn advice?

Your post from the Saturday was so honest and real. I know you are doing everything you can and everything you should be doing, but it doesn't make it easier or make the pain go away any faster. As others commented, Kevin's advice is simple but so true. It takes time. I think you have the rest taken care of...
I miss you guys, and think about you everyday.
Love,
Claus

Jerry G said...

Ah, the old saw... "do as I say, don't do as I do." We've all been there!

Glad to hear you are well...

Jerry