On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Snapshot of Edie Sweet

This is what she had to say when she said it July, 10. She always said it so well. Please open your hearts to support her family. Thank you.

A Good Crop

I'm older than two-thirds of the people I know. I rode in on the shirttails of the sixties and twenty years later the boys who did return home from Viet Nam were men who didn't vote; twenty years after that are men who are dying from cancers caused by exposure to Agent Orange. Then there's the hippy side of the sixties. We all know the history; the disappointment, the drugs and money, and 'it's not going to work anyway' attitude. And the nether side of the Civil Rights movement -the gunning down of leaders, the violence and inequalities that persist today. All of this coupled with the breakdown of formal religion results in a breeding ground for violence, apathy, or if possible a materialistic scramble to the top of a ladder of opulent spending. Gross generalizations, I realize, but I am trying to give a picture of where I come from as a single mother, artist, and laborer.
I've seen a lot go down. The demise of the local fishing fleet has been one of the most heartbreaking. To have the tradition, culture and livelihood wiped out by international factory ships depleting the waters while our own small boats post for-sale signs or go off to auction in the government buy-back program, a list as long as those lost at sea, while displaced fishermen and families move off-Cape - is a loss that makes the heart sink.
And then there's all the greed. And the war. Not to mention the present regime so unhealthy for the working class.
Sure. Lately these last years of feeling my age, is the knowledge that, if I let it, the hot fetid breath of disappointment in life could very well sour what I've got left of it.
However…
This week an overwhelming tide of hope washed in, so strong, so viable, so present and so here-to-stay-not-going-away. It came onto the shores of Cape Cod where a tragic accident occurred on Independence Day. A beloved member of the community, twenty-five years old, was injured in a skateboard/truck accident, the board dragged under the wheel and our friend up in the air and down on his head. By nightfall the word was out. Seven per cent chance of survival.
And then the tide roared.
His generation, the twenty to thirty year olds, are praying. On the Town Hall lawn they're praying. Twice a day they're praying. In every store in five towns is a magic marker flyer 'Pray For Caleb". On surfboards paddling out in the Atlantic into a circle one hundred and twenty-five strong, they're praying while Caleb's pirate kites fly high from the dunes. Praying all over town. Praying in Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. They are brothers and sisters and they are not going to let this tragedy go down It's as simple as that. They are not going to let it happen.
Each day as Caleb wiggles a toe or blinks an eyelid or comes off the life-support and takes a breath on his own, the prayers are rampant. The young women sew leis for the off-shore surfer circle. Donation cans are stuffed and emptied five times a day. Tourists in restaurants read the news and voice their rational, judgmental, negative opinions and are blasted out of their coffee cups by the waitresses. Only positive thoughts for Caleb!
Now I am drawn into the circle of prayer by my twenty-five year old daughter. Beside the pirate flag we light the candles at the vigil on Town Hall lawn for Caleb, the much loved shellfisherman and surfer. Tomorrow undergoing brain surgery. Tonight, hands held, the prayer circle rings three deep to include two hundred and fifty people; octogenarians and three week old babes and the rescue squad who picked up his pieces. The gathering swells. Chanting soars. Only positive vibration is accepted.
Here I am uplifted by the hope, the determination, the force and yes, the know-how of this young crop of people.
It's here again. The hope. It can not be dismissed.
I don't know how they know how to do it. The drumming. The chanting. But it's here again. A gift of the spirit.
And I'm thinking because I've felt it before, and I've witnessed it go down just as I've witnessed the local fishing fleet go down, that these are the people who can do it. These twenty to thirty year olds. This generation. This good crop. They can raise the young man, brother, lover, son, best friend, beloved, raise him off his death bed. They can sustain the local traditional industries. They can collectively raise natural wind and solar resources to replace death-bound oil. They can find a way to feed the people. They can spread healthcare to those who can't afford it. They can. They will.
For God's sake they've even brought me into it! No longer tottering on the edge of skepticism and cynicism, I can say 'we' again. We will do it.
I'm with them. I'll give them all I've got.
Because this crop has given me back what had slowly hemorrhaged away these past forty years. Hope.
Hope.
More power to us all.

Edie Sweet July10th, 2007

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read that a little bit ago when Ellen posted it...What an amazing writer...May she rest peacefully. Such a shame to lose a person so young. We all have Anna and Suzanne in our thoughts.

NM

becky said...

This gave me goosebumps.....the prayers from our home continues....and I'm gonna hug my family extra EXTRA tight at bed time......

Anonymous said...

I didnt know her by name, but people tell me that I would recognize her when I saw her. From that post I can tell that we have lost a person a great compassion and insight. I pray for her two daughters. I hope they know that she will always be with them.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing and so heart warming to me to see all the extremely talnted writing that goes on in our small part of the world not to mention the talent of the truly wonderful people following the blog from afar...

We will all miss you Edie....

Kevin

Anonymous said...

If anyone has a photo of this amazing lady could it be posted for those of us who would like to put a name with a face.....

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

what a beautiful and brilliant post that was.....my heart goes out to you all who knew and loved MS.Sweet.
when I was in my late 20,s my dearest friend who is ten years my senior,said to me "you have not expiereinced enough tragedy in your life"...it was in response to one of my young lifes dissapointments.....I so resented that statement untill I infact expierenced true tragedy, because untill then I did not truely appreciate the beauty of life, love, friendship and family.But to this day I still can,t come to terms with tragedy of this nature,nor can any of us.
But let it at least bring us closer in support to those we love and let us be reminded everyday of the beautiful folks who have walked through the world with us.
to the young daughters and friends she left behind there are no words, just love and compassion for your loss and she will remain always a bright presence on the planet.
my sympathy, Tracy

Anonymous said...

What a beatuiful post. So sad - I lost my only brother 11 years ago in an auto accident - my mother to cancer (I'm sure directly related to his death - she was diagnosed 6 months after he died) and I will never be the same. So senseless. He too, if I say so myself, was truly of a special nature. It seems as though the "good" ones are always the ones taken like this. Rationally, of course, that cannot be true - perhaps it's just the "good" ones we hear about? Not that anyone deserves such a fate, or that all people aren't inherently good - I'm just voicing my frustration that these things happen at all. God bless her daughters - they have a long road ahead. My tears flow freely for them. Love, light and prayers to them.

Mom in CT

Anonymous said...

was this ever published? in a local paper? this should be read by EVERYONE! thank you for posting it.

Anonymous said...

edie - my first memory of you was diving off a fishing boat-- and it was not just from the deck -- at the blessing in p'town many, many years ago -- i used to ask you when your book would be published -- though i do not know you, anna and suzanne, i am so sorry, strength and prayers to you.

Anonymous said...

Deirdra/Lisa....

This is Nicole Miner. We were wondering if by any chance, Chris and I could have your phone#? We forgot to ask for it at Sharyn's the other day and this is the only way that we could think of getting ahold of you. I hope you read this...hahaha. Feel free to call us at 7742380113.

Thanks so much! :)

Alycia said...

My God this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with those of us in cyberspace who have not had the privilege of meeting Edie. My thoughts and prayers are with Anna, Suzanne and the rest of Edie's family and friends. It feels like a star has gone out.....
Alycia

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with Anna, Suzanne, relatives, and friends who have lost someone so loved. There is no easy way thru grieving..day by day there are ways to know there is love all around you like a soft breeze, warm blanket,cup of tea, sunset at the bay with the endless sky..love is here. Edie said it all beautifully- what a legacy to follow. With sympathy..peace.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharyn and Caleb and all,

I heard that the meeting on Sunday was great. Wish I could have been there. There are a couple of people I know who are bursting at the seams---wanting to visit Caleb 24/7!!!!!!!!!All in good time. I'd say Sharyn that you are going to have your hands full keeping the visitors at bay. Good luck with that!

Edie's blog is wonderful. I am going to miss her.We didn't see a lot of eachother but when we met about 7 yrs.ago it was like seeing an old friend. She visited St. John twice with her family and a couple of friends. It was around this time of year actually--close to Thanksgiving. Edie fell in love with St.John and talked about the island with such exhuberance that it was totally uplifting for me who had, by that time, been here 25 yrs and probably was taking every thing in stride completely forgetting how excited I felt when I first came to St. John. Definitely heart warming. Edie and I talked about painting and writing. She was planning on taking art classes when she got home and did just that. I wish I could see some of her paintings. I'll bet they are vibrant and beautiful.

Anna and Suzanne are beautiful,smart,warm and loving.Their mother was very proud of them and loved them with all that she could.

I cherish the time I was able to spend with Edie. It is difficult to think of her as not being here any more. She is special and has made a long lasting impression. I will miss her very much.

Penny on St.John

Anonymous said...

Our family spent a few weeks in Wellfleet this past August, and came to know of Calebs accident and his truly miraculous survival and continued recovery. Best of luck on Calebs continued road to recovery. Hope we cross paths someday in the Fleet.

Anonymous said...

well said....
We have all lost a wonderful part of this community. She will be deeply missed. Anna and Suzanne, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Much Love
Judith

Anonymous said...

A brilliant entry and beautiful letter. We are all sorry for your loss.

Donna said...

To Anna and Suzanne,
We love you all, so many memories
and only great ones. I am here for you both at any time and any moment because you are family.
Edie will always be my shining star.
She has given me hope!
Forever in our thoughts,
Donna and family

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting Edie's letter again. I didn't have the opportunity to know Edie but I remember reading it back in the summer and being truly moved by Edie's perspective and spirit. I'm praying for her family and her girls.

Anonymous said...

That letter was Edie 150%. I've known Edie almost all my life. Since about five years old. We were introduced because Anna and myself are almost exactly a year apart in age. Our Mother's, both single and trying to survive here in the 80's became close friends. Many nights I spent with Edie & Anna, many stories told, many cookies baked, many glasses of sun tea drank. Edie was a kind, passionate, fun loving woman. Who did whatever she had to for her friends and Family. She was giving, caring, fun, beautiful, but mostly amazing. As you can see her in both her wonderful daugters, her light shines through them.
The community has suffered a tragic loss she was not only a Mother, Friend, or teacher, she was a example of love & hope for all. I will miss her open arms, her kind heart, her Christmas cards, her words of wisdom, her dancing, her friendship & love.
If you were one of those lucky enough to know her then you know all this. If you didn't know her just read something she wrote and you will know. All my love to everyone.

Arielle Tasha

Anonymous said...

Edie lives on in all of us.
Let us remember to smile at one another, be kind to all, share what we have, and keep our minds and hearts open, for we will never know the future.
Live life today.

Anonymous said...

I believe a fund has been set up for Anna and Sue, not sure but I think it's at Seamen's bank.
They will surely need our help.

Anonymous said...

I knew Edie as my neighbor on Peter's Pond Road. I am just stunned that she is gone. I can't recall her face without a welcoming smile upon it. We were both single mothers busily raising two daughters, getting through it all as unscathed as possible. I was thinking not too long ago that the next time I am in Truro I should stop by and say hello, and now I can't. Just another reminder that we should live life while we can and take few regrets to our grave. She wrote a very nice article about John [Bennett] when he died and it made me cry every time I read it. Now my tears are for her and her daughters. I am so sorry she is gone. God bless her children. It is now the living that will suffer her loss whilst Edie is at peace.

I'll twist a fatty in her memory.......I know she would appreciate it. And I need it.

Reva Blau said...

I just read this piece of writing from Edie Sweet and it is truly amazing, like so many posts on this blog. It just speaks so many volumes on so many different levels. I grieve for your loss Anna and Suzanne. I didn't know your Mom but I just hear from everywhere how wonderful, loving and talented she was. Anna -let me know if there's anything I can help with in boston or here. whatever. We're going away but we'll be back in the beginning of january. Reva and Dash

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the community's loss of Edie.

Please update us on Caleb's progress now that he has been home for over a week. The weather has been good, is he getting outside?
Is Mumsie noticing a difference in him? Is he improving? How is therapy?

Again, sorry for the loss of another member of the "family", and her children are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Edie Sweetie, you are amazing, eloquent, beautiful, brilliant, and will be oh so so so missed.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know any more about the fund for Edie's girls? God bless them.

Anonymous said...

I just heard through a friend that there is an account set up at Seamen's Bank for anyone who would like to contribute to Edie's family. It's: "the edith fairbanks sweet memorial fund."

Sending my best positive thoughts and prayers to you Anna and Sue!
Xoxoxo

Lily

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Could we have an update on Caleb?
I'm sure Sharyn is very busy, but can a close friend let us know how things are going? How the meeting went on Sunday? What jobs needed to be assigned?
I hope everything is ok.

Anonymous said...

I think Sharyn is more than just very busy at home. Because of her family's close relationship with Anna I am sure that she is also involved with Edie's family's situation. Edie was my stepson's swimming teacher over twenty years ago and both her girls and my girls were close friends. She was an extremely special person, words really can't describe her. Maybe you know someone who was just a super mom even though she didn't ever have enough money, someone who drove a cheap car because she spent money on important things like good food and good winter boots, someone who gave her kids awesome creative birthday parties and set them on the right path even while she had doubts about how the world was turning. Edie was really one of a kind and I wish there were a lot more of them.

Anonymous said...

I think Sharyn said once Caleb got home she would update the blog every Sunday. I know there are volunteers helping at home but wouldn't it be a violation of Caleb's privacy for them to give us a report? I am sure someone will update the blog on Sunday as promised.

Anonymous said...

Part of healing is letting go of emergency orientation, ie frequent evaluation/updates and welcoming in the process of being ok with what is while moving forward. Having health services coming to your home can feel a bit like an invasion as well as support. Here's to enough spaciousness to keep your clan feeling very much at home. Sending love/light/healing to all.

Anonymous said...

how's caleb??????????????/

Anonymous said...

From what I have heard from visitors, Caleb is doing great this week! Jenn posted some pictures of Caleb walking on the beach all bundled up in some nice winter gear looking handsome as ever!

My brother says that his spirit is very present. He has no doubt that Caleb will be back to his spunky self in no time!

It is hard to be away, not having as much updates as we may like....I understand this....but Caleb is improving, I may not be able to see him....but I know he's in the best of hands, in the most beautiful town, and in an amazing healing space. Pretty soon he will be able to post his own update!

Anonymous said...

A joyful spirit is evidence of a grateful heart

-Maya Angelou

Lily

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what time Edie's memorial is?

Anonymous said...

Where did Jenn post these pictures, I can't find them anywhere???