On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

And a Happy New Year it is so far.....Caleb and I managed to stay up tll 11:00 pm, while the rest of the tribe who celebrated here went off to a party in town.

Caleb is still improving --his laughter which bubbles through from time to time, is so lovely to hear..that was always Caleb's trademark. We are going to the gym twice a week together, walking an hour each day, he was back on his bike before the snow hit, we have game night each Wed., he is sleeping and eating well....and his memory is starting to re-circuit and re-route so that each day we see signs of success. I am thinking that as I fight the urge to be sad, I would not want this time to be wasted being dour when, say for instance in 8 years Caleb is doing really well, and I would have passed over precious time that could have been spent in a much better way. So I am trying to stay focused on the positive which we are given each day..and not the everyday facts that glare back at us, tempting us to bite the bait of being forelorn.

Kai leaves in a couple of days for Bali, soon after that Max will be moving out...so this will be a big change for all of us in this New Year. I have been blessed to have had son's who adore me and like hanging out with me..this will be different for me to not have them near.......so I am going to use this time to concentrate on Caleb and myself, getting our healthy selves back in shape, losing about 5 pounds of blubber each and walking the woods for our peace of mind. I look forward to the opportunity to just have him one on one...and to see what new things we can think up to keep ourselves occupied in a suddenly all too quiet household.

In all, we are setting our intentions for the New Year...to love more, laugh louder and longer, live independently and heal together. Blessings to you, Sharyn

9 comments:

mia said...

have a lovely, lovely, lovely new year's day, sharyn! i wish you all the best and brightest in the year to come.

love,
mia

peg said...

My hopes are for peace on this planet, much love, good health, a good laugh or two every day,some welcome change in a new direction,
and positive forward motion for all of us. Grampa Vasta used to say "every day above ground is a good day" ......and he was in his 90's!
Let us take advantage of all of those days above ground!
Happy New Year to all~
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

amy in ct said...

well it will be a quiet house once those two things happen, but i am sure you and caleb will keep things lively.
many times i think of the special time that you two have had thru all of this, and those times seem to be getting better as caleb gets better... and as you get better.
it sounds like you have a full schedule.
i hope that my son adores me when he is in his 20's and wants to hang out with me of his own accord, not just cause he has to like right now at the age of 13 going on 14.
wishes for peace to you all in 2009
amy in ct

tim bob said...

happy new yeARRRRR!!!

nancyk4444 said...

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

It sounds like Kai is about to set off for a great adventure, Max is off to a new start and you and Caleb are in for a time of healing, growing,strengthening and connecting!!!! I do beleive you will also have your fair share of fun and smiles along the way.....

Sending warm wishes for a new year filled with ONLY wonderful health and all things GREAT!!!!

Nancy in NY

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

And a happy new year to you all.

It is amazing how much the positive can be hidden by the clutter of every day. A wonderful lesson for us all to heed is to look for the positive amidst what is not.

Safe travel and good surfing Kai!
When I finally get back to running I too will be working on another of those allusive 5 pounds, so Sharyn and Caleb you have company.

Jeff

grace said...

Happy new year! Id really love to spend some time with you and Caleb. I miss you all so much. Love always gracie

penny on st.john said...

You did better than I on New Year's Eve----10pm was my magic number on the clock but the way I looked at it was that somewhere it was midnight!

Your boys are true pillars of strength and you are indeed a lucky Mom but don't overlook the fact that they are lucky too..Change definitely is in the forecast and with the positive attitude you have the sky is the limit.

Happy to hear from those of you who were in the path of all that snow. And Nancyk444 I have been concerned about your sweet dog. I love Peg's Grampa's saying of "every day above the ground is a good day." And to Jeff-we will just get rid of all the clutter forever! Amy in Conn. I hope your year to be full of contentment.
I feel that this year will bring much happiness and success to us all.

A very Happy Birthday to you Amy St.John. I wish I was there with you but you'll be here soon for a wonderful visit.

Thank you everyone for this past year of sharing Caleb's journey. Peace and Best Wishes.

Penny

Clance said...

Hey Fam..
Just wishing you all well, & missin you all lots.
Kai, have a killa time in Bali, you more than deserve it after having endured so much. Riiiip it!
Much luv, Clancer