On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

An e-mail from Kai...
Hello mum.
Finally just got your email. I've just come from 3 hrs of surfing a big, clean fun wave and am salty and crusty. I am doing well and enjoying my time- but still all I think of is home and caleb and all of us- as if it would be wrong for me not to do so. And this is ok- beacause I will think of it no matter where I am. This is not a bad thing- to think- I have some distance and perhaps, hopefully, some new perspective. It was so good to talk to Caleb last night (a.m. for you). He sounded really good, clear and spoke more fluidly than the last time I spoke with him. He said, "I sound better than I really am"- that saddened me. It all does. There is no escape form it- I did not come here to run from it, but to examine it all. I am well. We are getting good surf and everyone is getting along well. I love you and miss you. Heal up. Talk to you soon.

Caleb. I love to hear your voice over the phone because I miss it- waking me up in the morning or asking where your dinner is at night. All I can think of when I am here is having you here with me and how much fun we would have. I see you in so many places here. I sometimes have a hard time when I'm talking to people because the things they say seem so fake and unimportant. You never wasted words- even when you were joking around and I always love talking with you. When you are feeling better and more healed- we will come to some warm place and swim in some clear green water. Caleb- I have always felt closer to you than any other living thing. I felt I could tell you anything- without even saying a word you would understand me. Like I told you the other morning, it breaks my heart a thousand times every day when I think of you getting hurt, and the struggle that you face every day- just to get through the day. I am amazed at how strongly you turn into the storm winds that rage against you- head on and pushing farther and farther with each step. Caleb, you were hurt so badly that parts of you were taken from you- and I miss those parts so deeply- but I love you and and as I promised in the hospital- I will always be your little brother and I swear to help you with anything you need for the rest of our lives. I will always help you heal in anyway I can. I love you. Your little brother Kai.

16 comments:

mia said...

You are so rare, Kai. You have a wellspring of such pure goodness and love inside you. Caleb is blessed beyond belief to have you for a brother and friend.

mia

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Thank you for sharing this achingly beautiful and very personal post with all of us. You are a rare and generous family.

Good surfing, Kai, and safe home.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Sharyn,
Thank you for sharing this intimate exchange. It is love in its purest form.

You have treasures that abound in the closeness you share for/with each other. You have truly been blessed with each other.

It is what I might have expected given the way you have faced all that has been dished out to you.

Much peace to you all. Kai..good surfing!
Jeff

Amy said...

Oh, Sharyn, how heartbreakingly beautiful is the brotherly love Kai expresses. You are blessed, and so are they.

Amy from western MA

blackbird said...

This makes my heart full and heavy at the same time.

What fine men you've raised.

janet said...

Kai,
Your words are incredibly beautiful. You write from your heart as your mum does. What better teacher? Maybe it's your perspective...you go directly to what's essential. Bless you.

Susanna said...

Kai, Don't ever forget you are a member of one of the best damn families that ever was, with a knack for fun and happiness. Have fun and be happy, plenty of time to be serious later. Love, Lily's Mom

Julie said...

I am sad, touched, and happy all at the same time.
Kai I hope you are truly enjoying yourself; this trip should be a healing experience for you and your family.

J

nancyk4444 said...

Sharyn, KAI, Caleb..... as i read these words, I was touched and moved tremendously. Sharyn. when I laid eyes on Kai in the South Wellfleet market - I "got" him....those sweet and beautiful words are just what I would imagine were in there....I have 3 children in their young teens and all I can say is that I wish for mine to have just SOME of the intense love, respect and close bonding that you have helped to create and nurture in your children.
It's is so pure and so beautiful.
Thank you-

Nancy in NY

Claus said...

Kai,
You are honest and real, a breath of fresh air. When I say honest, I mean truly honest, which is very difficult to be if we all think about it. Maybe "true" is a better word...you are true to yourself and your family. Enjoy your journey, I hope it nourishes your soul.
Claus

Marcia said...

Your letter Kai, brought tears to my eyes. Sharyn, I hope you are feeling better from your fall on the ice. You are so blessed with these wonderful boys with such huge hearts willing to share and help so many others.

Happy surfing,
marcia

Clance said...

What a gem you are Kaihole. We all know Caleb luvs you just the same, just with a lil more hazing, & much needed older brother harrassment. Sounds like you guys are enjoying Bali, you all deserve it.. can't wait to chill with you again.. for now, live it up!

Miss you Caleb.. and send you much luv, you too Sharyn!

ribaby said...

Dear Sharyn, Caleb and Kai,

Thank you for sharing your most intimate and personal moments with me. Every time I visit the community you have created (I check daily for new posts), I grow as a person. You open my eyes, my mind and my heart and I am grateful. You inspire me in the midst of my own personal struggles. Every time I enter this community I regret what happened to Caleb. But I thank you for turning straw into gold.

Love, Risa

penny on st.john said...

What a wonderful email,Kai. This is an example of true brotherly love in its rarest form. Your whole family is rich in all of this love and it warms my heart to read your words because they ring loud and clear of the love and sincere feelings toward one another.

I am sure that you have mixed emotions about being away but as your head clears a new perspective falls into place. It is all good. Let those dynamite waves carry you forward and don't look back.

Peace and love,

Penny

Erin G said...

Thank you for letting us learn from each of you. As a mom of three boys-Wellfleet-ocean lover, your posts are really important to me. Please know what an impact you have on a stranger's life.

Erin

amy in ct said...

wow, that boy is your son sharyn
hope all is well, i have been out of computer stuff for a while
love and peace
amy in ct