On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bargaining with God is tough and too labor intensive for me to keep up much longer. You know the kind of talk ...it goes something like this ..." I promise to do.... if only you will give me ". On a conscious level, I would say that I never plea bargain, but I do catch myself time and time again asking for the clock of time to turn back, for the screen door not to slam shut behind me, closing out all that I had before as I beg for one final chance to change this whole mess around. It is unbearable to realize that my life has changed as I knew it. It is hard to know that my conversations with Caleb will never be what they were before. It is hard to imagine that he is gone in that way. To me he was the purest distillation. He was my comfort and my peace...he stood for all that was innocent and new...he was my little red wagon.
We are moving forward and I am keeping my eyes opened for possibilities of healing. We are doing the very best we can under the circumstances which we have been given. Like it? Not one bit..but bear it, we do!
It's amusing to think that we can be brave when we are so frightened, confident when we are weak, smiling when we are crushed. I think that this is what this is all about for us--life has changed dramaticallly, we don't know which end is up as we tumble through the gauntlet of emotions each day that threaten to beat us down...and all the while we fight to regain our stability.
Life sometimes wears very little lipstick!

9 comments:

Julie said...

You are truly an amazing woman and an inspiration to us all.
So many of us would love to "turn back time" on a matter that changed our life forever; but then what would that do? Would something even worse happen in the future?
Careful what you wish for (my mother's favorite saying) keeps ringing in my ear.
You're strong Sharyn, and you have a great community around you. Things will continue to get better.

J

grace said...

Sharyn, i hope today is a new day of hope and courage for you . It must be so hard to pick yourself up and live. I wish you and leb warm thoughts and toes by the woodstove on this snowy day. Love always Grace

janet said...

Things are gonna get easier, as the song says....& brighter.
We're thinking of you, hoping you're enjoying this bright blue- sky day.
peace,
janet & david

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

You and your family are always in my thoughts, Sharyn.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Claus said...

Life sometimes wears very little lipstick.
You summed it all up right there.
That would be a good bumper sticker!
Love,
C.

markmcc said...

Sharyn,

I haven't checked the site in a while and it's good to hear that y'all are forging ahead. Sometimes it' s tough to look back (at how far we've come), because we're so focused on where we have to go. You guys have come a long way. Pat yourself on the back!!!

Mark

Susanna said...

While your talking to God will you ask him/her what were they thinking?

peg said...

I think of you all often, and when my modem gave out and I had no access, I worried....you are in a hard place and have been for a long while....and yet behind your sadness and feelings of regret and loss you still shine with hope...None of us can know the future, and the past is done and gone....it is the present, this very moment that matters. Being human is a trial at times....
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

Roberta said...

Caleb is your first born. The first born is always special. Would Kai have expressed the thoughts in his e-mail from Bali if this had not happened? You realize what a gem he is.

Caleb has come oh so far from "We are not sure he will live."

Sharyn, all your boys are so alive and special. And YOU have been forced to change because Caleb needs you to do that. Good thing you're so adaptable.

Roberta in Wellfleet