On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The first fire was at Otto McGrady's. The next one burned down Harold and Marion's barn just a pace down the road. It was thought that arsonist's had started them, but in Ohio it could just have easily been one of those blaring lightning bolts that hit often and offensively. As a kid, my father would gather us all into the old heap of a car and off we would go to see if we could be of any help, and for what I suspected was more about watching a thing of terror and a thing beauty similtaneously. Fire.

I have a love of fire that stems from those barn burnings. I am drawn like a clock is to time. Once the boys told me when they were in gradeschool the sirens went off a blazing and fire engines pulled out of the station in what promised to be a grand fire somewhere. The kids just turned to mine in the playground and said " oh it's probably just your ma with her brush fire." It has been a long standing understanding that when I "pass" the boys are to toss me on top of our burn pile. By the time the engines arrive I will be just a pile of thoughts.

I get this love of fire from my mother, no doubt, who set an entire field on fire" burnin" the trash on a windy day and I watched in horror as my eyelashes floated down onto my writing paper like fine ashes the day after I battled yet another field fire with my brother and sisters. We would grab empty feed bags to beat out the flames. The flames often won.

The fire burns now in the stove as I sit with Caleb and read to him and with the very same intention set forth as a burning fire ...I set my intention for him. To sweep forward without looking back with regret over what is lost.

12 comments:

Sky said...

sharyn, i read your blog to be reminded of the fact i know to be true: that love is the most important thing. today you write about your love of the flames and you do it with such grace and eloquence. thank you for sharing your words and for sharing yourself...with me.
i love you,
sky

janet said...

Sharyn, Sky too,
You both write so well, that I hesitate to follow you. There IS something about a fire that draws us together. We gather to share the light, warmth, companionship of campfires. We gather to help one another at bigger fires.

Farewell campfires at my childhood Camp Wind-in-the-Pines were poignant. We would throw in little tied-together bundles of sticks, representing our wishes, commemorating the end of our weeks together, and our hopes to be back together again next year. A year seemed so long then.

Thanks, Sharyn, for keeping this blog going so strongly and beautifully including us all in your journey.

I'm tossing in bundles of wishes for Caleb's continuing recovery, for your hurt arm to heal quickly, for a better world for our children... coming soon. I like the picture you paint with your words... of you and Caleb reading by the stove, looking forward with hope.
-janet

Clance said...

Mmmm.. fire.

I actually had planned to burn our Christmas tree tonight! In doing this, I always think of you.

I too, share a deep appreciation for fuego... I miss you guys, and hope you are stayin toasty and comfy in your humble house. Much luv 2 you Mumsie, and Leb.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

A very beautiful and intense piece of writing, Sharyn. I could almost feel the heat of all those flames.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

jff said...

I think the last sentence about "regret" is powerful and following through on "looking forward" is a life long skill to be honed...when I am around a fire I always think about the beginnings of humanity and how they gathered around a fire and how that tradition, although slightly altered as we evolved, still holds. Thank you for keeping all these thoughts alive!

grace said...

So very true i was never really intigued by fire until i spent enough days and nights tending to them with your boys and friends but you'd always show up somehow you'd sneak up on us(whether we were in the backyard,somewhwre down the fireroad, or great island and scare the living day lights out of us!! But the the "jag" would be complete and the night was young. Love ya grace

Elspeth said...

what beautiful writing, sharyn...

peg said...

It is good to remember that many forests need fire to survive, that new growth will not occur without the searing heat that pops the seeds open. Those seeds grow in to seedlings which then in time grow to become tall trees. There is ever hope, even in flames. It is all in our perspective.... flames can scorch or they can comfort, destroy, and yet create. Yes, fire is an amazing thing....
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

amy in ct said...

i love a fire. i am in an apartment and i wish every cold night in the winter that i had a fireplace or stove. i love the dry heat and i love to watch the flames.
someday i will have a home where i can have a firepit in the yard.... strictly prohibited here in the apartments.

well wishes to you all, you sound like you are on a good path today

amy in ct

Julie said...

Sharyn, I hope while you are sitting by that fire you are putting everything together for "the blog book".
Your words are an inspiration to all of us who have gotten to know you over the last year and a half, and I know they would help any parent, child, spouse, partner, etc. going through the same things you and your family have been through. You are a strong amazing woman, share your story with the world.


J

penny on st.john said...

Fire can warm you and mesmerize you and can also do much damage. The ocean can cool you off and mesmerize you with the waves crashing on the beach or calm you with its glassy surface but it also can do much damage. I love to sit in front of a fireplace or woodstove or bondfire and feel the heat, watch the flames dance amidst the logs and listen to the crackling and snapping of the dry wood.

On the other hand I like to sit high on a dune and watch the ocean. Maybe get up early in the morning to see the sun rise up and over the vast horizon-watch the changing colors of the water and the sea birds diving for bait.

I just re-read "The Outer Most House" by Henry Beston. Those of you who haven't read it and do have a love for the Cape should give it a try. It's worth it. I got a bit carried away with Sharyn's blog about fire and want to share some thought. Thanks.

Penny

penny on st.john said...

Fire can warm you and mesmerize you and can also do much damage. The ocean can cool you off and mesmerize you with the waves crashing on the beach or calm you with its glassy surface but it also can do much damage. I love to sit in front of a fireplace or woodstove or bondfire and feel the heat, watch the flames dance amidst the logs and listen to the crackling and snapping of the dry wood.

On the other hand I like to sit high on a dune and watch the ocean. Maybe get up early in the morning to see the sun rise up and over the vast horizon-watch the changing colors of the water and the sea birds diving for bait.

I just re-read "The Outer Most House" by Henry Beston. Those of you who haven't read it and do have a love for the Cape should give it a try. It's worth it. I got a bit carried away with Sharyn's blog about fire and want to share some thought. Thanks.

Penny