On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I am looking at a picture of the "before "Caleb before my computer. He has his summer hair cut..really short, and his smile is brilliant..the kind that can stop you short in your tracks and make you forget what it was that you were doing....and I am thinking of what it is to love someone. The last thing I needed the first thing that morning was for Caleb to check out on who he was and to become who he is....I miss him.
Thanksgiving went quite well. We walked the 2 miles to the beach where Jan last sat and we offered up a rose and a prayer and a reason for loving him, losing him and survival. Taking new corners! Caleb and I patted the ground and Kai and Max stood stoically behind. It made me cry for the time I've wasted.
But loving..oh yes loving....you open your heart so wide and let it all in to the point of breaking...and then, much to your surprise, it can break even more. But love him , I do ...one eyed, peevish, a bit more chubby and not quite who I remember...but perhaps that is what we all experience... you look across the table to the fat, bald man sitting across from you and wonder who he is ..a lot of negative thoughts can get projected onto the back of a bald head ...till you see the older, grey haired woman staring back in the mirror and remember it is you. There are exquisite pains and gifts from this loving thing...I am discouraged by my lack of movement somedays and then I am bowled over by my bulging kinetic bursts of love for him.
I can only tell you that as I stare at that picture of Caleb, I remind you to stop and think about what really counts in life...run your fingers over the arms of the man you love, look deeply into the eyes of your child, touch the end of another nose with yours and breathe in their breath, kiss those magical lips with meaning, and remember, remember what it feels like to love.

13 comments:

blackbird said...

I will...

mia said...

As long as we know you and your family, I don't see how any of us could forget it.

amy in ct said...

thank you sharyn, again! for reminding me what is important. and reminding me to take those little steps to reassure myself and the ones i love.
amy in ct

grace said...

Thank you. I will be thinking of you guys!

Elspeth said...

it was great to see you three the other night...hugs and kisses to all.

Claus said...

Sharyn,
you are so right...it is easy to get carried away with other things far less important, but what counts the most is what we already have. Thanks for the reminder.
Love,
C.

Christa said...

Wow...you never cease to amaze me with your words. Today I was feeling a little...alot distant from my husband and you just put it all back into perspective for me...Thanks Sharyn! I will always need you to keep me focused on what it is that I must do. I think he just needs a friend and I need to be that friend...thank you my friend. Love to Caleb and the boys!

Christa Jones
Wilmington, NC

Clance said...

No matter whatever you guys take on being it weight, loss, lessons, or physical transformation you are always beautiful, please remember that. Thanks for the gentle reminders. Luv you's.

Clance said...

Check out the sky tonight, it's truly beautiful, the moon, and planets! Crazy!

Erin G said...

ooh, what a great post. thank you for that reminder as I rush through my day.

peg said...

I will and I do every day...thank you
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

janet said...

Thanks, Sharyn, your words make me think/feel a lot, as always.
There's a Josh Groban song 'You're Still You' which I find beautiful, although I can't quite figure out the story behind the lyrics. This post spurred me dig it out to listen again. As you said, we're all changing from who we were once. Caleb is still Caleb underneath. Love is what really matters... thanks for reminding us.

aimai said...

Sharyn,
How eloquently you put into words what the rest of us are experiencing, will experience, have experienced as we get older with, or without, the same people in our lives and wake up next to someone surprisingly not exactly like the person we lay down with ten, twenty, thirty years ago. But what is the alternative? Better the old gray haired, balding guy who can't remember the punchlines to his own joke than no one. Better the sound of children crying, than the sound of no children crying.

This weekend my husband's family organizes a huge charity walk in honor of my niece, who died suddenly at eight years old, from a brain hemorrhage. That was just five years ago. As my daughters grow and as my niece's schoolmates advance through highschool, my sister in law must look around and ask herself every day "where are you, my life, that I thought I was going to have? Where are you my child?"

I've been finding a lot of comfort in Tich Nhat Hanh's book Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames as well as his other books like Peace is the Way. When I start to struggle with my own feelings of anger that things are not happening according to my plan I'm trying to take time out, as he advises, to embrace my anger and try to forgive myself for not being able to do X or Y right away, without perfect calm and joy. Sometimes X or Y is difficult. Sometimes it hurts us. Sometimes it makes us feel angry. He says that dealing with your own anger is like putting out the fire an arsonist has set instead of running after the arsonist in a fury, seeking justice, and letting your house burn down. In my case I take that to mean that sometimes you just have to stop, even though you feel like you have no time or incentive to do so, and attend to your own feelings, recognize them, and forgive yourself.

You are a new sharyn, not the old sharyn. You have a new son, not the old son. Its going to be different but in its own way perhaps it can be beautiful, great, magical. There's so much youth and strength in you, Sharyn, and so many adventures yet to come.And for this new Caleb, too. He and the boys will find their new lives. Forgive him for not being the old Caleb and for forcing you onto this new, hard, road to find the new Sharyn.

aimai