On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The first batch of letters to Caleb came in and the smile on his face was similar to the look the cat gives as he tackles a fat mouse -- pure, exquisite, pleasure! Thank you for taking the time to do this. He keeps remarking that he knows so few of the names attached..and shrugs it off with - well I guess I'm just famous! If he only knew!

So how does one move forward when life throws you a mean punch that seems so unjust, so unfair and so unnecessary? The temptation is to tell the same old sad story over and over again when people ask, to repeat the injustice like an actor who regurgitates his lines, and to wallow in self pity. I know not a single one of you out there would hold it against us if we did...but as the days move forward and our sad story seems to be drifting off with the smoke in our chimney, we are trying to tell a different tale. One of three brave souls looking forward with promise and the hero who defines who we are by basking in his courageous clarity of who he will become, never allowing us to falter or feel sorry. We are proud of Caleb and what he represents. When he is tired and spent, he will still give me that extra little that I ask of him; when he is sitting at the table alone and lonely he will peer up at me and exclaim "what's next" with the expectation of a child at Christmas knowing that something good is to come,....... he does not, will not, cannot quit!
I have learned a great deal from him, but what I want to remember the most is that when it comes down to it all..the final reckoning...our lives are only as important as the moments spent taking time for other's. It is absolutely all that matters.


Thank you for taking the time for us and especially for Caleb.

9 comments:

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Caleb is an extraordinary person, and the Lindsay/Potters are an extraordinary family.

I feel privileged to be along for your journey.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

susan in portsmouth said...

ditto.

I knew in the brief moments that I spent with Caleb nearly a year ago that he is an extraordinary man and that he was absolutely right in choosing to come into this world through you.

You have given me and mine more than words can express - a letter is the least that we can do!

Big Love,
Susan

Michael/Laura said...

Dear Sharyn, I know only too well the feeling of telling the same story over and over. I think part of it is just a way of making ourselves believe that the unbelievable has done just that , happened. As we have just passed the 8 month marker of my sister's unexpected passing it has been just so, so different then any other experience in my life. I have felt emotion in a way that has left me shaken at my core. Afraid that one more thing will break me, but like you we are given gifts at those moments, a sunrise, a smile from a stranger, a snuggle from a pet, and it breaks the moment. And you have been to me one of those gifts. At times when I feel so alone, not even able to call my family, for fear in a way I guess of it deepening the emotion, or worse setting them off if they were having a "good day" I have turned to your blog. I guess I want to tell you not just thanks for your honesty, but thanks for reminding me as they said in the 70's "To keep on Trucking!" When Maria died, my first real thought and what I said to her son was "We have just had our training wheels taken off". Yes it is scary and hard, but as you know we have to master the task, and one day we will feel the breeze in our hair as we fly down a hill with a smile in our hearts.
Peace, Laura

Lisa said...

Caleb is an inspiration to us all and we know the story because of Sharyn. I also feel privileged to be along for this journey.

A note to Laura Diane - I too live in Catskill and am here if you need another friend. I don't know how to reach you but if you can figure it out, I am here.

amy in ct said...

i am so glad to have been a part of caleb smiling :)

i also understand retelling the same horror story over and over, sometimes just to make it sink in (for me) that it really did happen and i really did survive it.

we are all survivors in some way.
i am pleased to be along for the ride on your journey, because you and caleb and your blog have helped me thru so many things since i "met" you all.

peace to you all
amy in ct

14th Generation Cape Codder said...

Hi Sharyn- It's snow time out here, but no snow yet. The grizzley bears are not hibernating as they should be, it's about fifty degrees today. I am so homesick this time of year for Wellfeet and everyone. Your blog keeps me there. I can picture you, and Caleb and Anne F. in my mind's eye, all the while shoveling horse poop, writing my novels, and being Nana Montana to the grandaughter. I know this holiday season will be difficult, so sending you lots of good big sky vibrations. And a quote from one of my heroines, Helen Keller (1880-1968) "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Clance said...

Hey luvies..
Just wanna wish you all a nice weekend. Missing you lots, and still praying for your well being.
Xoxo.. Miss Clance

Anonymous said...

Well said Dear Sharyn.....there is nothing left but Love and Gratitude. Love for you and your Dear boys and Gratitude for allowing us on your journey.

You, and Caleb are on a magical journey or sorts, one where you can never be certain of what is around the next bend. The difference now is that you don't have to know what lies ahead. You are living in the moment, being grateful, speaking in faith of the healing that is happening, and will happen, and standing 10 feet tall. The fear, anger and sadness have dissipated into a fog that occasionally lingers, but only when the environment is out of balance.

My spirit soars to hear you speak of this awareness and insight. It will take you far and allow you to feel whole again.

Caleb is finding his own stride, and will be fine...why you ask? Because, he has all of you standing their "with him", whether you are physically there or not. He carries you in his heart, and that fills him better than any medicine on this planet.

My Love to you all in this Season of Gratitude, and know that Mari and I send you all our Love and Affection....See you soon.

Blessings,

Todo Carino,

Melinda and MariElena

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Nathan Dube, I am 25 and from sturbridge MA, I was in wellfleet the day of calebs accident, as I have been there almost every year since my birth for family vacation, wellfleet has always been my family paradise. We visted the shrine built in calebs honor around the canon in the center of town, sometime around that july 4th and was told about his story. Just want you to know as some one who holds wellfleet and its people dear to the heart I got caleb in my prayers and hope he makes a full recorvery as soon as possible, much love

-Nate.