On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

What's up?

Caleb's short term memory still suffers, and his cantankerous healing attitude remains for now, but with each day we settle into more of a routine and find life bearable...even at times exciting again. Max will be moving into his own place this winter, Lara attends school off Cape but is here with Max quite a bit. Kai will travel to Bali in January ..then off somewhere with Liz who is now in Spain celebrating her 21st! Do I even remember my 21st? Life not only moves forward, but marches at times.
The Toastmaster's meeting gave me something to focus on...through all of this I have discovered that I no longer have a desire to continue my work..there is something else out there I feel I am meant to do --and somehow public speaking is going to be necessary..so in spite of having the most terrible stage fright, I am pursuing this angle. It's interesting to find that out of a tragedy, a new desire is born..... Caleb was being asked by a Neuropsychologist about his goals and his reply was " To settle down and have a nice little wife someday " So the rockets of desire are churning strongly in him as well.

The Timbo Foundation ( another son who suffered TBI) has generously paid for Caleb to have a trainor at the local gym -so we are pumping iron twice a week and loving it. Caleb continues to Bowl with the gang on Tuesday's, has Speech with his adorable Lee, walks Spud and hangs with friends. We are busy!
Everyday when Caleb walks to collect the mail I notice his dissapointment that I get mail ( well mostly bills) , as well as Kai and Max...and I had the thought that during this Holiday season, if you had the desire to drop an encouraging note this way, Caleb would adore it.
Thank you for all of the support you send my way, and for walking this walk with all of us.

Caleb Potter RR2 Long Pond Rd Wellfleet MA 02667

Thanks, Mumsie

17 comments:

amy in ct said...

now you know, sharyn, that starting monday you will have 842 letters and cards in your mailbox for the next month straight! ha!

mine is all ready for the post office as we speak!

the idea of hearing you speak somewhere, gives me chills, you would be wonderful at it.... keep up the training... i hope to hear you speak in public one day!
peace to you all
amy in ct

penny on st.john said...

How silly of us not to think of writing to Caleb!!!!!!!

Beware of a bursting mailbox.

Penny

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

I think maybe you should consider "Roastmasters" instead of "Toastmasters". It's been my personal experience that you excel with no stage fright at all in "roasting" someone.

To Amy's point of your mailbox getting stuffed with mail, I couldn't agree more!! I can see it now the Town will probably have to come by with the plow to move all the mail out of the road. Long Pond will be polluted by Christmas Eve. Maybe it will be all your bills you don't want to see anyway! A new meaning to "drowning in debt".

Kevin

jff said...

I think you are a marvelous speaker of the written word and oral communicator...watch out Oprah! You have lived the true "altibajos"(ups and downs) of life and have not stood silent about the horrors, but conveyed truth and honesty. If you can find your computer amidst the mountains of Caleb's mail, keep on writing....

Lizzie in CT said...

What a marvelous idea! Caleb is such an inspiration to me that I really should let him know!

justjane said...

Beware! Caleb might get more than a lot of mail...he just might get an offer for that "nice little Wife!"
I'm sure that handsome photo in the Globe turned a few heads.
Girls, enclose resume and photos please!

blackbird said...

Thank you!
We would love to send him a note!

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

One of the many things I've come to value in being a witness to your profound journey is your growing willingness to step out of your comfort zone; to embrace what might be possible; to cross that busy road to face the unknown on the other side leaving what no longer works behind; to continue to grow; to have faith in life.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

I'd love to write to Caleb!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

P.S. You'll be a great public speaker, Sharyn. And the more you do it, the more confident you'll be.

Jerry G said...

Sharyn, I sense that a metamorphosis is about to unfold... or perhaps accelerate. Could this be the silver lining that we spoke about a year ago?

I'm fascinated to learn more about your vision, about the 'something else out there'. I foresee you being on 'Oprah' within the year ;)

You're going to need to get a bigger mailbox, too!

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

Sharyn,
I have been a quiet blogg reader for a long while now....but have not gone a day with out checking in....as always I am moved by each passing moment you share with us.....
I look forward dropping a note to that amazing son of yours.....
I continue in love, Tracy

Erin G said...

Hi Sharyn, I too, have been a steady, silent supporter through this, checking in quite often. Your posts totally inspire me as a former Wellfleet dweller and mom of three boys. Thank you, thank you. And we'll get some mail going too. Erin

Neil said...

Sharyn, I really appreciate how you give us a picture of life for you guys- thanks so much. You've never been one to rest on your laurels, and I think that folks would have a lot to learn from you, so I hope you really give it a whirl- it's like you said, there's no going back now. I think you should consider bringing Kevin along as your intro act, you guys speak the same language. Also, thanks for mentioning something that we can do for Caleb, for sure this Xmas but something to keep in mind for the longterm, too. I'll get something in the mail soon,

Best,
Neil

haley.jane said...

I am already thinking of things to send!

Love you Sharyn.
Haley

PS. It is my 23rd in a week!

peg said...

Bigger mailbox? they will have to back the truck up to your door!
What a great idea, wish I'd have thought of it!
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

susan in portsmouth said...

Communication brewing...and maybe some mittens to match the jolly roger hat?

Big Love, SWAK and a postage stamp!

Susan

grace said...

Sharyn, I am thinking of you all a alot. It seems sometimes hard to know what to say I know hello and a hug would be just fine. But to not feel sadnesss with the holidays approaching and the pain you have all endured is impossible. I will always look up to you. And i will cry when i hear you speak of the tragedies and the triumphs of you and your boys...men