On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, November 7, 2008

They come to me in dreams..I see Jan driving by in that black pick-up with signs plastered on the racks and he nods to me as he passes by. Caleb speaks to me at night ..he is his old mischievious self driving off to Texas to visit Dimitri without having bothered to tell anyone till just now and I am questioning his going all the while I am secretly pleased that his spirit dictates his life..always on a whim...always for the pleasure of it.

The permanancy of our situation has moved in and has finally registered in my pores...tho Caleb will continue to heal, he will never be that Caleb I have known and loved for 25 lovely years. I live in opposition now to almost everything. What I have is not what I want - what I see I do not wish to see and what I feel is like a foreign object which I want to expel. I am quite certain that we will emerge- Kai, Max and I as more complete human beings..perhaps more compassionate, perhaps less fussed over the little things, probably humbled and humane. I look forward to the day where we can say "I would not have done (so and so) but for Caleb's accident. It has changed my life in ways I never dreamed of." But for now the sad truth is that I am just lonely and missing him in every crease of my day.
I have lived long enough to know that I will pull through this..but I want more than that - I want to find myself again in all of this and I want to believe that living in opposition can bring about beauty. For isn't it true that the sun rests in oppositon to the moon on the opposite side of the Earth before the moon can be in it's fullest, brightest glory!

8 comments:

susan in portsmouth said...

Oh, Sharyn -

My heart is aching and impatient for you, but somehow I believe that the foreign thing you feel and want so badly to expel is the kernel of a luminous pearl. the oyster takes that stubborn irritant - tiny grain of sand - and wraps it in layer after layer of iridescent nacre, building something beautiful and entirely new in the process. Caleb's accident and Jan's passing are those nasty grains of sand. You have been wrapping your beautiful words and fierce, defiant love around them for months and months and I just know that eventually there will come a pearl....the compassion and humility and acceptance that you hope for.

Patience is a bitch, especially when the waiting is compounded by frustration and pain. I'm an immediate gratification kinda girl most of the time - I get it. Please remember, tho', that we're all still here and can add a layer of nacre or two to the effort if you ask.

Sending you heaps of big big love,
Susan

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

I will write more later....but for now I send a great cyber hug and the warmest of good wishes. Like Susan, I am pained by the stark reality and truth of your words.

Living for a while in opposition can bring balance and a totally new center, with all of it's glory. I have total confidence that your will find that center. As you continue to seek it, know that we are always with you.

Laura said...

Hi Sharyn,

I met Caleb when he came to visit me in Swansea, I was seeing Mike D at the time and they came to visit me on their travels. What I remmeber about Caleb first is not his exhuberence or his madness(as noted by many of my housemates!) but how much of an old soul he was. I am always in envy of those who can go about what they do without caring what people think and who is watching and he did this but never in an obnoxious way- he's just lovely. It is his sensitivity and his kindness, which will never leave my memory and which will never leave his side. To say I knew him, is a lie, I didn't, but I just wanted to thank you for a son who (even after many, many drunken nights) I still think of fondly and I know I would recognise in an instant-an old soul who, even if knocked, will never change.x

Clance said...

What a beautiful but dolorous post..
Sharyn, my heart is with you.. I too miss the rebellious & unpredictability of Caleb..but am grateful to have had experienced some of his wildest moments.

I hope you 2 get away to some place extra warm, and sunny.. you both deserve it more than anyone I know. If I were a millionaire I'd send you away.. but since I am not I will pray that it comes for you.

Loving you, admiring you, and wishing you well ALWAYS!! Xoxox..

Claus said...

Sharyn,
I feel like getting in my car and driving over to give you a hug...I miss you, and think of you daily. I can relate a little to how you feel about missing the old Caleb. I miss my father since his stroke and loss of speech. He is still with us, the words are in his head, he just can't get them out, and without them he has somehow diminished, a dad-lite, if you will! It is a challenge to accept the new reality and at the same time remember the past.

My apologies for not having written that often in the last months... I check the site often for the updates. I miss you. Thanks for that beautiful Birthday message, it really made my day.

Love,
Claus

amy in ct said...

hang in there sharyn
i am sure this acceptance and peace will come. and only you will know when it is here. i think of you daily as i check the blog to see if the post has changed. i think of the wonderful life that you all lead up there at the cape, being near the healing water, being earthy souls,with all your beautiful friends around you, grounded to reality and yet still have a mysticism about you all.
patience sucks, i am having to deal with it quite a bit myself these days. but with patience comes the reward of that acceptance and peace.
thinking of you ALL
amy in ct

penny on st.john said...

Dear Sharyn,

I just don't what my words can do to ease the pain and/or the lonliness you are feeling. It must be devastating to go thru what you and the boys are experiencing. I wonder what goes on in Caleb's mind yet it seems as 'tho he connects with some things. I ask myself if he is having the same kinds of frustrating thoughts and if he knows but can't express always. All of you are learning many things all over again,I think.
The puzzle is a tough one and the pieces hover over their place in the final picture--waiting to find the right spot to fit into or maybe not to fit exactly but still hopeful. You are all in my thoughts and I will write again soon.

My very best wishes and love,

Penny

jff said...

I don't think anyone would "want" a horrific accident to be necessary in producing epiphanies, but sometimes they do, and it is bittersweet. Through your blog, you have been able to examine each one of your pores truthfully which is hard enough--and then SHARE IT with the world, which is very curageous. Imagine all the souls that have nodded yes, I know that feeling, I feel with Sharyn, I feel for Sharyn and her family, I can do this for myself because of Sharyn. This is the ultimate grief counseling for yourself and for the rest of us, who have had tragedies in varied shapes and sizes. I don't know if any sense will come out of Caleb's accident, but I do see a heroine.