On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Caleb's 26th

The skies threatened to pour down on us- but we were not having it---the Caleb Potter birthday party would go on..and on it did! Pizza at Chad's, lots of laughs, and a great effort on everyones part to be a part of it. When I am in this crowd of young men and women, just coming into their own, I experience a jello laugh which shakes from head to toe and reverberates till the night is final.

And today is full of more surprises... a well intentioned friend came by to drop treats and her dog killed my ever so little rooster..before his time... and it was a reminder to live each day as tho it could be the very last..we protected him as best we could for the month that he lived..but there are forces greater than us out there........and so it happened.

On the flip side, Max has met a darling young lady -- and the timing could not be better -- thanks to the powers that be! There is a smile plastered on his face from morn till night and a relief for me to know that at the time most needed ... he has a healthy distraction from the darkness.
In small, but healthy increments..we are pulling ourselves up by the bootstraps - Max's are builder's boots, mine are cowboy boots, Kai's are surfer's booties and Caleb is baring his soul through his bare souled feet.

I have been presented with the task of sorting boxes..some of Jan's and some of mine to make room for the things that the boys stake a claim to ....those which belonged to their father. So as I mentioned above the words .. "on the flip side" ...as I am becoming aware that there is always a flip side to everything and I want to remember this...... I was depressed for a bit thinking that a life in the end resorts to someone..perhaps anyone... pilfering through a box that once was a life. Photos, boy scout pins, money clips, coins, a small journal of a trip to Europe..... is this what our lives are reduced to? A box or two- a lousy box or two? Then I remembered the flip side ... all the people writing who have mentioned the many kindnesses of Jan, or the building project that Jan did for them - not just with a hammer and nails.. but with a flair and style..and soul - a Caleb kinda soul..an artistic soul .. a caring and an attention to detail...the extra time it takes to be special.......to be remembered.
And so I want to remember that our attention can be focused on the negative .. or the positive... one is not any more difficult or easier than the other- it is simply a matter of choice. i am still recklessly swimming to find the way upward toward the sunlight, and sometimes the water gets cloudy and I cannot seem to find my way....then something happens and I once again see cleary the path set for me- the direction to follow........when I come up for air I am determined to be mindful of the choice I am presented with. The rooster was killed, Caleb had a horrific accident, Jan took his life....... but Kai is surfing, Max is fishing, Caleb is on the mend, and I am sitting here with you.

25 comments:

jff said...

Happy Birthday Caleb--certainly it was a day for celebration of your achievements when there was doom in the forecast....and for the brothers, girlfriend and mom that you have and the father, whose memory and love will be with you always.

Memories and memorabilia have always been important to me, but I was being held back by them, instead of them being learning experiences and a source for future joys...like my adult son sometimes says to me, "Baby steps, mom, baby steps." I think that is all we can do.

amy in ct said...

thank god you are still sitting here with us, sharyn... we all need each other so very much.

happy birthday caleb!! so glad you had a wonderful celebration of your LIFE so far!!! there are more wonderful things to come for you....

and fantastic news of max's new girl.... i agree she could not have come at a better time...

so glad you were all able to spend time together today with your extended family as well....

take your time with the boxes.... see what you need to see inside of them... do what you need to do and then come back to 'the flip side' where you celebrate the boys and their lives and what they are all up to now... today....

love to you all up there in fleet
amy in ct

DD said...

Sharyn,

Another piece so thought provoking and beautifully written....

It is not the box or two that are left behind that define a life; it is all those who were touched along they way, all the kind words and deeds, all the creations (children, buildings, gardens) that hold the energy of that person.

Happy Birthday Caleb!

DD

blackbird said...

And I am sitting with you.

Tell Caleb happy birthday from us.

heather said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!!

Anonymous said...

FELICIDADES MI AMIGO CALEB....Que tangas muchos mas...FELIZ CUMPLEANOS!!!!!! How wonderful to be able to celebrate your Birthday today, with all your loving and adoring family, girlfriend, and friends! This has been quite the year, with it's ups and downs, but that is life my friend. How grateful we are that you have chosen "Life", and all that it brings.

IN this new year, I wish you continued healing, awakening, salt spray on your face, Peace, BBQ's with friends, time to do the things you are passionate about, time to reflect on your ever evolving life, and again, peace to re-discover who you are, and where your life is taking you..minute by minute, day by day, week by week....most of all I wish you understanding to see how far you have come, and Hope and Courage for what lies around the corner. You are an amazing young man, and very much loved by so many people.

BLessings in this new year, Caleb, you are a wonder!

Carinosamente,

Melinda and Mari

Julie said...

Sharyn, I find comfort in knowing you are still with us.
Boxes are not all that is left behind when a person passes, memories and their children stay to represent.

Happy Birthday Caleb, and many, many more.

J

Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know that I still read your words every time they are posted. I do not comment much anymore and I realized it may make you feel better for a second to see our familiar names still checking in. Sorry to not reach out for that extra second it takes to write a quick hello and Amen. I will int he future.
xoxoxox,settie

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

We are all glad Kai is surfing, Max is fishing, Caleb is on the mend, and you are sitting here with us and that things do flip to the good side.

Take time with the boxes. Sorting through Jan's treasures and past memories can wait a bit while new good memories are being formed.

Sorry to hear about your rooster but wasn't he fortunate to have you as a caregiver in his waining days.

penny on st.john said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!

Dear Sharyn,

It is very nice to have you still sitting with us out here in cyber-land. My words have been few lately but I want you to know that you and your family are very much present in my thoughts daily and Amy keeps me up-to-date when we talk to one another.

A very Happy Birthday Caleb even 'tho it is a bit late.

Peace and love to you all.

Penny

Amy said...

Happy birthday, Caleb! It sounds like a wonderful celebration.

Sharyn, you have an amazing way of seeing all the layers and richness in life. Losing the rooster must have been heart-breaking---just one more sign of the fragility of life. But you have shown us all that keeping our focus on the positive can make all the difference in how we approach that fragility.

grace said...

I could sit with your family forever Sharyn! All the fun that we have helps get thru the lows in our lives. I loved being a part of the oh so special celebration for leb and rosie. You of course looked fabulous in your skirt,boots,and dressy jacket, so Hot! I'm not inviting u to my b.day party cause you always come looking hotter than me! just kidding. I love it! Ur an inspiration to me....for lots of things, but damn sharyn, ur sexy! dont forget it! love ya.grace

Susanna said...

Yay Caleb! 26 and awesome, quite an acomplishment. Enjoy your day.

nancyk4444 said...

....and I am sitting here with YOU, Sharyn.

Happy 26th to Caleb -from us here in New York.

There ALWAYS is the flip side- we just need to remember to look for it.

Nancy - sitting here with you in NY!

t said...

i am so glad you are here my friend.
Happy Birthing Day.
Loveandlight to you and yours,
t

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

Caleb,
Happy Birthday........I look forward to someday meeting you and your entire Wellfleet family.
Sharyn.....I check the blogg several times a day,I don,t allways post because I feel your words resonate so powerfully that response feels trite....I practiced co counseling years ago and I know the act of being heard is the most important step in healing......you are heard here.
Thank you for who you are and all you share.

abrowncow said...

i don't think i've ever commented before, though i've wanted to share my thoughts of love, hope and positive energy with you on more than one occasion.

first - Happy Birthday Caleb! as you all have learned (and are still learning) take each day and celebrate it like no other!

second - i wanted to share something my 6 year old told me when i mentioned i was missing my grandmother. he said, "don't worry mommy, even though she's not here (waves his hand around) she's still here (points to his head) and here (points to his heart)." you, the boys and Jan have touched many lives and will be here (points to head) and here (points to heart) for many people for many years to come.

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Happy Birthday Caleb!!

Let the good time roll.....
Always great to hear your voice!

Kevin

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Thank you for continuing to allow us to sit with you through this journey, Sharyn. We all learn so much.

Happy 26th, Caleb!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Marcia said...

Happy Happy Birthday Caleb!
Cheers,
Marcia, Sam and Jeffrey Duggan

Lisa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALEB FROM ALL OF US IN PA.......

Claus said...

Hey Caleb,
Happy Birthday!
The biggest gift is life and you have taught us all to appreciate and embrace it. You have also taught us many other lessons along the way; about mental courage and strength, and never giving up. And through this blog site we have learned so much more about you, and what a wonderful human being you are - behind the mask of yellow beard! Congratulations, if you made it through the last year, you can survive anything.
I look forward to dropping in on you this summer. When I say to others that I miss Wellfleet it is only half true; what I miss more than the beautiful town isthe family that lives by the pond.
Take care.
Claus
P.S. give your mom a big hug from me.

Jackie said...

Happiest of birthdays Caleb. You have so much to be thankful for and we are all thankful for you. You inspire so many of us everyday with your determination and your zest for life. You make us appreciate all the blessings we have. Please take time to realize how far you've come!
Sharyn, I'm pulling up a cozy chair so I can sit along with you.
Jackie in NY

Deb said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!!!

26 years - more than a quarter of a century - sounds so old.

But then I think of myself - 4 years shy of 1/2 century. and I try not to think.

Oh I know you are thinking 'age is relative.' or 'You are only as old as you feel."

Anyway Happy Birthday.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!!! Sounds like a great party. I have not posted in forever- broken computer, new computer, couldn't figure out the blogger account - you know- life getting in the way of life sometimes. But you have all been in my thoughts and I am so glad to hear things continue to move forward in a positive direction for you all- I was esp. glad to log on and read of Caleb's birthday and Max's girlfriend.
This family is unstoppable!
Laura in CT