On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I tucked him in for a nap today and my heart skipped a beat as he said " Thanks mom ... for taking care of me"
Gratitute for the simple things in life is one of the greatest treasures.

We are gettng our routine down... a walk in the woods, lunch on the green with his friends, separate time with Kai and Max. Timmy is interested in oils, so he and Kai will be attending a class this summer with Caleb, who used to paint. Max will be bowling with Caleb. Jenny is working so much, but still manages to squeeze an hour a day in at least. Anne, my angel friend, is still on board 3 days a week so that I can work, and Aunt Carol and Ray have our backs at every turn for whatever we need, even if it is just warm bananna bread and a kind word.
Caleb still has difficulty with short term memory..he is slower than his old self, and his speech is labored at times. He gets easily confused and can't always remember what to do next without prompting. But he is still and always pleasant and smiling.

At times I feel my life has just been a mush of bad messes. I can only see the trials and I can only feel all the hurts that still are in need of healing. But then a "Thanks mom..for taking care of me" brings me back to what is important. Slowing down, looking around, being grateful for what we have and looking forward to each day with the joy of the unknown.

12 comments:

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

I will echo Caleb's words in a slightly different fashion...

Thanks Sharyn for being you!!

Kevin

sherry h said...

Sharyn,

I want to thank you for all your wisdom and inspiration. I have been following Caleb's progress since my family and I visited Wellfleet for a vacation last summer. I am so happy that he is home with you. I am sorry for all your suffering and wish you and your family much continued love, strength and joy together.

Sherry H

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Sharyn,
When you speak of your "messes", of all else in your life and of Caleb's poignant words what comes to my mind's eye is the vision an artist's pallet. Splotches of vibrant colors, some mixed, some not, of different textures and tones. In once sense a mess and mush but stepping back it’s the source of a beautiful painting of life that you are still creating.
And it makes the great spirit smile!

Anonymous said...

Sharyn, that's it, I think. Living in gratitude each moment, good or bad, happy or sad. I believe it all leads to growth....though I must admit I prefer the "lecture method". The growth part being experiential is really hard to take sometimes. I am happy to say that I witness this blog containing more evidence of gratitude, love, acceptance than the opposite. Keeping in mind though the more subtle tones also make up the cloth of life with its brilliant colors and hues. We look forward to the days where one paints from the palette of truth, beauty and goodness and each brush stroke reminds us of the gratitude we hold for life in all it's many facets.....

Peace this night,

Melinda

amy in ct said...

that 'thank you' was what you needed... you always get what you need here in this space as well...
we all have your back too.

peace and prayers to you all
amy in ct

blackbird said...

One day
each day

don't forget to look beyond the messes - there's a whole picture...

Julie said...

You rock Sharyn. Thank you for coming into my life even though we will probably never meet.

J

lisa b said...

Anne IS an angel. So is Caleb. So are you!

Deb said...

They say pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you is probably worth ten thousand words.

Neil said...

Dear Sharyn,

The glimpses you share about Caleb's days (and those of your family) have been invaluable to me and Carrie. the way you take meaning from small comments and moments is the way that I hope to consistently approach life too. With all the big and small tragedies and frustrations in our lives, those moments offer some redemption. Your updates mean a lot,

Love, Neil

Anonymous said...

Sharyn,
Thank you for your life lessons right when I need them. Nothing is more important than NOW and I struggle to stay present and not cry over loved ones who are past or cry over what I could've been and I sit and read your words and gratitude washes over me for people like you and this little town where everyone looks out after one another. . . sometimes too close for comfort but it makes me smile today.
I wish you smiles for the rest of your day and even some for tomorrow.
xoxox,settie

Alexandra Grabbe said...

I took care of my elderly mom, as you know Sharyn. She was 97 and bedridden when sometimes the day-in-day-out and nighttime, too, got to be too much, and I could feel my exasperation level peaking. Somehow she would notice, look up at me and say in the sweetest voice, "Thank you for taking care of me." It made me melt inside, so I understand the feeling you experienced, described in today's blog. Your recent posts have brought tears to my eyes. Being a caregiver is such hard work. When the season is over, perhaps Sven and I could take Caleb on one of his walks once in a while? It is something we would really like to do, if he would accept going with us.