On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I am sorry if I offended any one of you out there reading my last post.. In this writing I only ever speak of my experiences..not what others have . I am only sad I never had the experience of having a partner who was as involved as you men who join me here.


This is a busy week of packing..we leave on Sunday for Portsmouth. Max's kitty goes back home in a day or so, and it looks like Kai and Liz will be heading out in their adorable little home on wheels by Wed. I am excited about the possibilities for all of us.

In my office where I sit to commune with you, there is a picture that my friend Claus took of me right after my separation from Jan. Claus had a huge circular opening between one room and another, and I sit perched in that opening looking like I am a little bird ready to take flight. I can tell you that this is just how I feel now..ready to leap off into the unknown, knowing that I am doing the right thing. A little afraid, but certain I will be richer for the experience. This change will be so good for the two of us and I will keep you posted on how we do.

The field for flowers is prepared for it's planting when I return, and the promise of change is in the air. I am content for the very first time in a very long time!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so looking forward to seeing you here in Portsmouth. Hope I can help with the transition a bit - though it sounds like you are packing a positive attitude and your adventure shoes...all you're likely to need when you get here! Travel safely and know that there's a friend waiting for you when you're ready on the other end.

Big love, as ever,
Susan

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Sharyn,
I did not take your post as an offense and I apologize if I responded in that way. [ I actually deleted one comment because I thought it unintentionally came across that way] I think your honesty and openness in sharing your feelings and experiences of these couple of years, has prompted the same from us. We do so in good spirit and friendship and take no offense and mean none.

Leaping off into the unknown can be both thrilling and scary. As you and Caleb take that leap you do so with many of us cheering as you take flight and sending strong wishes of well-being. Be reassured that it is there always.

Your words of contentment bring a smile.

Be well, good packing, safe journey.

jff said...

I am so excited for you and Caleb that I could almost burst. The kind of feeling you get when something seems so in the right direction.

Re: the men thing--I understand where you were coming from. What is so reassuring is that our sons are now different. Mine is so tender, caring, involved with his children--he colors the paper placemats in restaurants with his 2 year old and "cooks" with both of his daughters --the definite "softie" in his family. We all know that you were writing from what you experienced..
Keep us posted and happy trails.

Jo said...

Sharyn,
No need to apologize. You are entitled to your opinion, and there is no pleasing everyone. I do agree with you, though. Women do tend to be the caregivers of the world. Daniel's dad is a wonderful man who loves his son very much, but he chose a long time ago not to participate when it comes to Daniel's rehabilitation. He just couldn't/wouldn't do it, and so I have been doing it basically on my own for the past four and a half years. No complaints - Daniel is the sun in my sky and I am happy to do it. Of course, there are *some* very caring men who step up to the plate and are fully involved with their children's care, but let's face it - they're a pretty rare breed.
I wish you all the best of luck as you move on to the next phase of your life. Take care.

- Jo and Daniel

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Enjoy the journey, Lindsay/Potters.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Jackie said...

Sharyn,
It is so wonderful to see you certain and self-assured. It's evident even in your writing, which is always so honest.
The one constant image that lingers in my mind is that of Caleb taking off on his snowboard; hair disheveled and that huge grin that he gets. And that makes me so happy.
It's great (and very brave) to make this move. Please know that we travel with you wherever you go and that we hold all of you in our hearts.
Big love from Jackie in NY

Capt. Jeff Smith said...

Sharyn,

It was great to finally meet you and Caleb today. He is such a fine young man. Eager to talk and as well as listen.
About that fishing....Just say when they are available and ill fit them in my schedule for a great day on the water..
Hope to see you guys again before you leave!

peg said...

Best of luck to you both on your new adventure moving forward! Give Susan a big hug and a kiss from me!
I know you will make the most of this opportunity and am happy that you are taking a plunge!
As always with hope and love,
peg from PA