On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Dear Emm, Faithful follower of this blog- thank you!

This morn..lying in bed..listening, just listening to Kai as he moves around the house. He is up early, packing the last few items for the road trip which begins today..I am pressing his voice to my brain, and his movements to my soul. He is talking to the cats, gently separating them from their spat in his kind and thoughtful way. His voice is on the line with Liz; soft, reassuring, confident. He will be picking her up soon. I can barely remember the time when I let my sons go out the door without the black coat of fear engulfing me., I always had a healthy dose of mother's concerns lined up ...but now I know what can happen..what does happen to ordinary people, with ordinary lives, and I am flooded with fears. I attempt to etch his eyes into mine, so that I will be able to conjure them up if need be. I am joyous and fretful at the same time. And then I am whisked back in time to that very same feeling. A newborn comes wrapped in a soft, white blanket. His fingers fold around mine. He looks into my eyes...and I recognize this...this joyous, fretfullness of being a mother and knowing so deeply that life will somehow never again be the same.

I return to the house and find his note...there is always a note. He tells Caleb to enjoy snowboarding..he is at his purest on the slopes ...and that he will heal. He tells Max to do something which makes him smile each day-the only thing worth doing. He tells me to remember to breathe in the winter air. There is nothing like it . He tells me to keep us together in thought- we are all we have.
And he reminds me that he will be back home just as the bravest of the greens begin to emerge.


God speed, my son.

11 comments:

penny on st.john said...

This is so heart warming and poetic.

Penny

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post. You have such wonderful, caring children, Sharyn. As the mother of 2 children who are also loving and caring, I'm sure you'll agree with me that it is a gift more precious than gold.

Have fun on those New Hampshire snowboarding slopes, Caleb! I'll look forward to seeing you at the Library again in March.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Roberta said...

Bon voyage all you travelers! Good things to you and your family. Now I have another reason to look forward to Spring.
Roberta in Wellfleet

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sharyn...My thoughts are with you and your boys as you trek northward. I hold only the Best and Brightest of Intentions for you all while in Portsmouth. I believe it will be a time of transition and growth....we know what that means! Don't worry, you all are ready for this journey, and everything that comes with it! You all will be fine!

God speed dear friends~My thoughts are with you.

Blessings,

Melinda

janet said...

Wishing you all safe travels and fun on your winter adventures.

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

still here with my heart open to your beauty!!!!!!
Mothers in Arms>
May we always love so deeply.
someday I will look on your face in person and tell you how much you touch my life.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

What a beautiful post. Sending good thoughts to you all for this great adventure.

Alexandra Grabbe said...

Awesome post, Sharyn. You capture so well the essence of how it feels to be a mother ...

amy in ct said...

travel safe
heal more
think positive
be well

amy in ct

janet said...

Happy February! I'll bet you and Caleb will be teaching the folks in NH even as you learn from them. Sending winter blessings,
Janet

peg said...

A love song for your family, Sharyn. Beautiful.
As always with hope and love,
peg from PA