On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer has caught me up in it's tremendous sweep of energy...and we have been occupied....and very much so in a good way.
Caleb seems to have greater depth of understanding each day, and his memory does continue to improve. He can remember the things which were important to him in his past, but can just as easily forget that he just ate breakfast a minute ago...it is as if he chooses to not clutter his already cluttered brain with unnecessary information. I think he is brilliant! I have been giving myself permission to change, and to not feel guilty about Caleb's life ....a not so easy thing to do for mother's who love. I am now concentrating on losing the mashed potato weight from Caleb's hospital days,...so Caleb and I are walking, biking and eating better. It is funny to me that in times of stress, we often slip away from those things which can so easily make us feel better--exercise for one...solitude for another... a walk in the woods, a dip in the pond, holding hands and silently gazing at the stars.
I am carefully picking out of the day the things that I want to do
The boys and I have a trip to Maine scheduled for the 8th of this month, and will be staying at a seaside rustic cabin, where kayaks will be our only distraction, aside from just being together. I am beginning to slowly re-learn to appreciate life in all it's wondrous glory..with all of it's questions and all of it's answers, with all of it's surprises and all of it's certanties, with all of it's ups and all of it's downs.
I look forward to looking back on this phase of my life with a renewed desire for life, knowing that it was born out of such tragedy, and knowing that the contrast has caused me to grow to higher heights. We are moving forward, somtimes at a snails pace and sometimes with a blast...but either way, I am more, than not concentrating on what I have instead of what I do not, and I am finding my way.

24 comments:

Elspeth said...

sharyn, where are you going in maine? although i love it here, i miss my home state every day. a waterside spot in maine in august sounds like the perfect spot to regroup.

lots of love to all of you,

xoxo
e

Amy said...

Beautiful thoughts, Sharyn. I am so happy to hear that both you and Caleb are on an upward curve.

Amy from western MA

Julie said...

You sound good Sharyn, I'm glad things are getting a litte brighter for you.
Enjoy your time away; we all need it.

J

Jo said...

Mashed potato weight - what a great term! I had (OK, I still have) some "mashed potato weight" as well. Have a great time in Maine.

- JB - Daniel's Mom

Lilz said...

Dear Sharyn & Caleb,

I'm glad to hear your summer is rolling along. I really miss you and Caleb already :)

Sending lots of love from California to you the boys,
Lily

peg said...

Enjoy your vacation, Sharyn....make new memories to carry home with you as you refresh your spirits and psyche. As with Caleb, there are no limits on your ability to move forward, you just need to stay faced in the right direction....backslides can happen, but you are on a positive course right now, so go with it! Find your way to the stars and beyond....and we will be following along right behind you!
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

penny on st.john said...

Hi, Sharyn,

A snail's pace--I like that. Slow but sure!

Have a wonderful trip.

Love and best wishes,
Penny

Susanna said...

Sounds good. We could all use a little positive attitude right about now!

janet said...

Mornin' Sharyn,
You and Caleb sound really good!
Enjoy Maine. You deserve a break...
although we'll miss you here and at Outermost Toast.
blessings,
~J

HeidiTri's said...

Enjoy your trip to Maine. You'll be missed.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharyn, My heart is full hearing your words. The days ahead look bright and full of promise. Enjoy your time DownEast! We will be there too enjoying all that Maine life has to offer!

Take advantage of this amazing downtime, and relish the wonder of that which is VACATIONLAND~

Wishing you all, days and nights full of old and new friends, great food, gentle breezes, the splash of cool water all around on a blistering warm day.

Joy all around.......

Con todo carino,

Melinda

Unknown said...

Maine looks forward to your visit!
So happy you are all doing well.
We left the Cape in January and now live on an island called Islesboro, off midcoast Maine between Camden and Belfast. It's quiet and serene. You are welcome to come visit our idyllic island during your visit.
I can't wait to return to Cape Cod to see the tree we donated to Wellfleet in honor of all the Wellfleetians who rallied around Caleb! I am sure it is growing beautifully in the park by the beach, just like our pirate!
Love,
Nora, Scott, and Nathaniel Eldredge

Unknown said...

contact us on theeldredges@hotmail.com if you fancy a trip to Islesboro - with 2 small stores, no chain stores, restaurants, or bars, and 200 people maximum in the summer (only 600 of us in the winter) it is a welcome respite from the Cape Cod summer... Drop a line. Really - we would love for you to visit.

Unknown said...

oops - that's no more than 2000 people in the summer - 200? I wish!

India said...

Hello to all- it's been MUCH too long since I've visited the blog. I am so glad to see it's still going strong!

Sharyn, you will forever represent utter strength, honesty, and the painful beauty of a mother's love...

I stopped by to get the address to send Isaiah's pirate pictures, he still draws them for Caleb and they pile up in the drawer (I'll only send the best ones, don't worry)

You can expect a package soon.

Please tell Caleb I love an miss him!

India said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerry G said...

Sharyn, have a wonderful vacation!

amy in ct said...

have a WONDERFUL trip... all of you
thinking of you

we are waiting on word for some important news over here.... any positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
amy in ct

Marcia said...

Have a wonderful trip in Maine!

I just got back from a camping trip... don't forget the bug spray!!

Cheers,
Marcia

Jo said...

Caleb,

Thank you for writing back to Daniel. He was so happy to get your letter in the mail today! He reminded me several times this evening to put it in his top drawer (he's still too short to reach it himself!) so that it wouldn't get lost. Hope you have a great trip!


- Johanna ~ Daniel's mom

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Have a wonderful trip up north!

We'll be heading to the cape in a few weeks. Can't wait.

cb said...

Sharyn, I thought of you when we saw the movie Julie and Julia. I think you might enjoy going to see it.

I also think of you often when dealing with my mother who has Alzheimer's. I know it is not the same as Caleb. I know this as a mother.

But I lose a bit of my mother each day, and the grieving seems to be endless.

She'll visit for a week, pick blueberries, swim and enjoy herself.

I saw your family in the Town Hall parking lot and everyone looked great. Not much mashed potato weight!

CB

Samantha Garbers said...

Sharyn,
We arrived in Wellfleet last week and I had been hoping to see you. But now (having checked the blog) it appears that we're here and you're in Maine. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get a chance to run into you again.

There was a very moving article in the New York Times today (Sunday 8/9) about a 19 year old guy with TBI, discussing his recovery. The article was mostly focused on injuries specific to the area of the brain that affects recognition of self and others. But, the article emphasized how important the brothers (and, more importantly, their usual teasing) were to his recovery. Of course, I thought of your boys. If you would like me to send you the article, email me (samgarbers@hotmail.com) when you get home and I can send it off.

Have a great vacation!!!

Sam (and Will and Johnny)

Anonymous said...

Happy summer Sharyn! Enjoy your rest time in Maine, hope you will have great weather.