On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, July 17, 2009

So life goes on - it is amazing how when my mother passed away I remember saying to myself " Why are all these people smiling? Don't they know my mum just died?" And this is how it is with Caleb...life goes on, and suddenly, I am expected to run with the crowd in spite of all that has happened. And that is no-one's fault - just how it is. So here we are..adjusting, re- adjusting and dealing with life as it is, not as it was. I am finally seeing someone to help me through all of this, and in spite of my concerns, she reassures me that yes, I am depressed, but no more so than any normal person would be under these circumstances...which is always a great relief, and brings on a big sigh....Ok.. I am OK...and I am finding a new path to traverse, instead of the old one, which no longer fits who it is that I have become.
Caleb is worried that he will never get better- he knows the difference between who he was and who he is now, and it pains him, and me as well, this difference. His friends no longer respond to phone calls, and they no longer drop by...they too have moved on. And it bothers me too, to think that in the past it would have been Caleb who would take the time out of a busy day to stop by a friends house who was sick, or down for the count, or just depressed .... but no-one comes to him. Perhaps it is his cross to bear--
But, as I said, life goes on...and right now there is a big thunder storm raging in Fleet..and I am in my leopard robe...and I am going to sprint to the pond and watch the lightning,butt naked in the pond, and witness the beauty of creation, and the rightness of life and all that it holds for all of us....and perhaps just for a split second, like the flash of lighting, I can forget that my mother is dead..that Jan took his life, that Caleb suffers, and I can know that I have a chance to look at things differently---and that I have a choice to choose a better thought, instead of playing the tapes that run in my head over and over again....perhaps it will be just simply ...............all is right in the world, in all of it's perfection.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Sharyn, I am sorry things are so hard. I am glad you are getting some support. Hang in there.

Thinking of you,

Amy from western MA

Erin G said...

thinking of you, sweet sharon.

Ellen Webb said...

Nothing like a skinny dip to help you remember that there is a bigger picture . . . love you like crazy . . .love you like always! El

Gail Hunter said...

Sharyn,
I was in Wellfleet this past week and so wanted to drop by and see you, but wasn't sure if you really wanted to visit with a stranger. I wanted to talk with Caleb and let him know how much his story continues to inspire. But sometimes knowing that doesn't ease the pain. My heart goes out to you. The depression and acceptance of new reality is hard. We just lost our son in June after losing our daughter 6 months before Caleb. I mention it to let you know that I think of you with Caleb, a changed son, yet your son still with you. I hope you can somehow accept all those losses, and still find the beauty. I know your posts inspire me. Your struggles often mirror mine. I hear your voice crying out and then finding a new peace, step at a time. I haven't posted in a long while, but just wanted you to know that there are so many of us out here who are sending our love and compassion and thanks for your honesty and generosity in sharing your journey. If you think Caleb would enjoy a visit from a stranger, I'd love to come. But if not, I hope some of his friends will find their way to his doorstep again. I'm sure it is painful for them too. Sending you my heartfelt love, Sharyn.

jff said...

Sharyn
Am glad you found a neutral party to share your journey. I was told I was "normally" depressed and griefstricken--a relief of sorts. Your child in pain, physical or emotional, is always heartwrenching. Quality friends will find their way back or appear as new ones. I am glad you are open about what "is" and that you had honorable hopes/expectations. That being said, what is, is. I know I found it hard to believe the world went on in spite of the emotions in my head...Your new partner will help you and Caleb find a brighter path. Enjoy the "dip" and breathe in new hopes and dreams.

Jerry G said...

Sharyn, I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer. It was great to see you this week, albeit briefly. Even in that brief moment I could see the pain on your face. This ordeal has taken so much from you. I am so, so glad to read that you are taking steps to get help for you... for yourself. Life does go on, but it needn't go on without you.

For whatever it may be worth - Lana and I both think of you and Caleb often and wish for you more than anything else, peace.

Jerry

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

We can never totally forget the pain that is in our past but we can make it take its place in the catalog of experiences of our life. A place mark, a seismic shift, a familiar comfortable path gone, a new path not yet revealed.

We grieve, we negotiate with ourselves and the greater being, we are off kilter with this new being we are supposed to be. Riding that bike that came with such ease, we seek the training wheels for balance.

I am hoping you found solace in the raging storm. There is such great power and wisdom in the winds and rawness of a storm.

I am glad to hear that you have someone objective to confirm that what you are feeling is normal to help you find the new path and balance that is there for you.

As always I send thoughts of great peace your way.

Susanna said...

Honey, you are not just O.K. you are really great! It seems to me being depressed is just part of the package of all that has happened, it's terrific you realized that you are and are getting help. When something really bad happens it often reminds you of the other really bad things that happened. In a perfect world Caleb's friends would be there for him, but they are young and don't realize the pain it causes when they disapear. He might need to make new friends but doesn't that happen a lot in life anyway? He will always have his brothers, who are really his closest friends , don't you think?

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

You are a wise and brave woman. You will find your way. And so will your wise and brave son. I have faith.

Still reading. Still sending positive thoughts.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Amy said...

Great to see you tonight, Sharyn. You are quite a remarkable woman, and I am privileged to be a part of this community of people who care about you and your sons.

Amy from western MA

penny on st.john said...

Dear Sharyn,

Scars leave very tender spots that sometimes never seem to heal and we humans are so vulnerable when we are in pain. I do feel your anguish and Caleb's worrisome thoughts. I can only keep sending you positive energy and hope so very much that all of this lessens in time.

Peace to you both and lots of love.

Penny