On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

It is dusk, and the night white flowers finally have their say, and with dignity and a silent presence they shine under the night sky and perhaps look more beautiful than their colorful counterparts.
So it is with Caleb. In his purity and innocense, he is more beautiful in a way than before and we watch him unfold and blossom before us. He is genuine; a naural beauty.

As many words and thought swirl around me, I am continually pulled back to one statement..." do what it is that you fear the most". For me that would be to abandon the role of caregiver; the be it all kind of mother..to dump it all and just be with Caleb.....to step back from my life as I knew it (work, work, work) to travel and to walk the walk with him - wherever that might lead me, and to whatever lengths that might take us. If I knew that I had but just one year- or one month- it is what I would do in a heartbeat...so why the hesitation? Life does get in the way - or we let life get in the way of what it is that our heart so clearly speaks to us...subtly at times - and shouting at us at others ....... if we allow ourselves the slightest of hesitations, we always hear more clearly what it is that calls to us!
I am trying to penetrate the voice of "me". I have determined that I will try to take this time for Caleb while he is healing. I am waiting for guidance, who I am certain is hanging out at the next block up the way and I am peacefully planning my next move.
Life is too short - I keep telling and telling myself that- but it is time to change that mode from words into action.
We are holding up well/ the boys are doing fine with all of our changes/ they are all turning into white flowers.

9 comments:

susan in portsmouth said...

Dearest Sharyn -
I have been absent here, at last in writing, for a while - but I've been reading and following along religiously. I have felt all the growing pains, recognized all of the ruminations and been right here - invisibly stumbling along on the one-step-forward-two-steps-back path of it all the whole time. Please know that you are all in my heart, always...life just has a way of grabbing us by the nape and wrenching us off the path when we feel most comfortable with the status quo. My life has been changing - evolving - diverting in ways I hadn't expected and I'm struggling just to tread water at this point...It'll all be good in the long run, but it's occasionally (frequently!!)overwhelming just now.

Please know that despite the silence you still have my wishes for wonder and joy and some kind of lovely every moment.

Your ability to name the things that haunt you, to own your shortcomings and fears and scars, to love your children without reservation and to share of yourself so willingly and eloquently have amazed me since I discovered you and yours more than a year ago ... sending you thanks for all of the above.

With most sincere and long overdue Big Love -

Susan

Anonymous said...

ALRIGHT!!! WOOHOO.....now take a deep breath and grab on to yourself very tightly. This is when the great and terrifying become one. Breathe...

amy in ct said...

be who you need to be
the guidance will come

amy in ct

Amy said...

Go for it, Sharyn. Follow your heart.

Amy from western MA

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Leap, and the net will appear.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Unknown said...

A therapist once told me there is such a thing as chronic grief. It rushes over you like an angry ocean wave at times and sometimes it stays at bay - I guess it depends on the person and the time frame. Having only one child born with special needs, I know this chronic grief... acceptance comes and goes... and I too have lost many family members in tragic ways. If I try and ignore the grief it only comes back at me as depression and I end up hurting myself as well as others. When my boy was little someone gave me a story called Welcome to Holland. You've probably seen it, but in case you haven't, it talks about how you plan a trip to Italy, you pour over the map and plan your itinerary for months with much excitement, you even learn some Italian. You board your flight and when you land the pilot says "Welcome to Holland". Not where you planned to go, but you have to stay above water and learn all about Holland, 'cuase there you are. You're doing the best you can and that's all you have to do.

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

If you walked in shit you would come up smelling like roses...

Follow your heart...

Please wipe your feet before you come in the Liquor Store the next time...

Kevin

tigerlily said...

I have posted this in the past, but feel it is good to read again:

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi 1207-1273, written in 1230

Anonymous said...

Life is short, and the idea of chucking it all and move to a new beat is always attractive, especially to those of us who can see beyond the mundane.....I often wish to be able to do just that and feel frustrated that I am held back by those same mundane obstructions.....mortgage, bills, family responsibilities, and the like. To physically chuck it all is impossible, so I am trying to do it mentally....live more in the moment, not wallow in my own angst....stick my face in a bunch of roses without worrying about being stung by bees, just enjoy being me and not feeling like a pretender in my own life. I found that this has been easier to do as I get older and bolder...
I have decided to quit my secure, safe, but boring job and take on a new adventure....an exciting yet nervous-making prospect.....but who knows where we will be tomorrow? I still need to pay my bills,but I do not have to do it while watching life pass me by.
I send my love to you, Sharyn, and your sweet boys, and hold you all in my heart every day.
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

ps... hang in there Susan....I am thinking of you, and have missed your presence here this summer.
Sending you a big hug...peg