On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

A generous thank you to all who donated to Caleb's rehab- we have been so happy with our new friends who work so hard and give their undivided care for Leb. The walk is along the Canal on September 6th if any of you care to join us.

We are expecting Caleb's nurses again this weekend and have more adventures planned for that visit.

On the 22nd the boys and I are packing up and taking a road trip to Nova Scotia where Jan purchased coastal land some 35 years ago as a young student and surfer, interested in finding a place to hang. I camped there once when Caleb was 2 and have not been back since. This is a badly needed respite from the "norm" and we anticipate climbing into the truck and heading out into uncharted territories. As is our usual way of travel, not much in the way of planning has occured..we just jump in and go and see where the road leads us with only a general idea of which highway to take, and a map which usually gets lost in the shuffle , or in the translation; whichever occurs first. Like a band of gypsies..off we go at sunrise and we follow instincts, or we follow nothing at all, depending on the day. It has always been our way and often we will share a laugh about how we got to a place simply by coincidence, and it undoubtedly turned out to be one of our favorite memories. So here we go again. I cannot say what this means to me- sitting under the stars with a crackling fire feels like home to me. We are comforted by the dark and cherish the quiet and adore the occasional bug in our cup . Bundled up, a bit worn, and tired, out of our comfort zone and at home whever we land is what I have loved best about my time with the boys when we are traveling together. The night skies, the cricket saranade, the certanty that someone is sitting across from you in the blaze , smiling back, even if they cannot be seen......... with the indistinguishable feeling of acceptance for what is.....is staggering.

14 comments:

Susanna said...

Awesome. I too love camping but have not found alot of friends who do. The way you take your trips sounds like the way I drive almost everywhere I go but my passengers don't always appreciate the serindipity of it all. AAA will plan a trip for you as a fall back plan. I once took a trip to Maine and ended up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I had never been there before and was entranced but my friends waiting for me in Maine were perplexted. Hey, my thinking was North is North.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

A camping trip to Nova Scotia--how exciting! Nothing like a change of scenery to recharge the batteries.

Enjoy!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

P.S. Welcome back to Wellfleet, Caleb's nurses.

janet said...

Sounds wonderful! The freedom of the road, then camping in the wilderness... your family deserves a good time away from everything. We started out for Nova Scotia in 1976- before kids, but never got beyond Acadia NP. We loved it there, and stayed as long as we could. North is nice!
peace,
janet and david

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Are you going in a DEPENDABLE vehicle???


Kevin

jff said...

Kevin, "dependable vehicle"--really what fun is that(for me it is)--but it sounds like the Lindsay/Potters are BACK!! Would a laptop be in the cards --NAH! It will be a time to breathe in the future..

tim bob said...

haven't commented in a while, been living out my Luddite fantasy of a world without fancy technology, but here I am on this series of tubes... have super fun in candadia, and don't get eaten by any moose.

Anonymous said...

What a great trip.....my Nanny Fagan was born in Scottsville on Cape Breton and I still have distant relations there....Nova Scotia and Cape Breton is a fantastic trip I have taken a couple of times and loved every minute. I wish you clear skies and happy times on the road together! Have FUN, you all deserve it!!
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

amy in ct said...

wonderful idea sharyn
i hope you all have a fantastic trip.... just what the doctor ordered!
amy in ct

nancyk4444 said...

Your trip sounds exactly like what you all might need!
It sounds like you are getting charged and ready for a good roadtrip - enjoy this weekend with the amazing nursing crew and have a blast as you head up north!!

Walking with you, as always,
NY Nancy (still planning on dropping my card in your box)!

penny on st.john said...

Have a blast. Sounds like a road trip has been in the making for a while now.

Safe travel.

My best wishes and love,

Penny

Amy said...

Have a great time!

Amy from western MA

Claus said...

Hi Sharyn,
Like Tim, I have taken a 2 week vacation form the internet...Nova Scotia is beautiful, it is wild blueberry season there...I once took the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME. to Nova Scotia...it will save you many hours on the road, and I realize it is all about the journey...but just one option.
We will all be along for the ride.
Love,
Claus

Lisa said...

Sharyn, and Caleb,

THANK YOU for the " thank-you" card, you made my day....(not a good one) You didn't need to do that...but ...thanks....we will be with you on the 6th

Peace and love

Lisa in Pa.

rcl in dc said...

thank you for your note; it was still warm upon arrival.

here's to a lovely vacation by the sea - different sea; different see.

perhaps our paths will cross when you return and when we travel your way for a few weeks.

happy landings!