On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I must have walked by that B bus parked at Stop and Shop a thousand times over the course of the years, and never paid it any attention till today. I went searching for it, payed Caleb's fare and off he went independently to school. Now let me explain a little about the emotions I continuously go through in these situations....elation for one, knowing that Caleb is even able to do this, anger because this trip which usually takes 40 min from door to door will now take 1hr and 45 min because of all the stops....and these are disabled people riding this bus. Helplessness knowing that he will have to find his way to the classroom that he could not remember the last 3 times I drove him...and so then how will he find the bus coming back? Tenderness for the fragility of life that most people walk around not even aware of. Of course as I walked Caleb to the opened door, a young mother and tow headed little boy passed by reminding me, like a long, low punch in the gut, that I too was once full of wonder and contentment about all 3 of my sons, proud and smiling, walking unaware. It is a push/pull, tug of war in my heart almost every moment of the day. Blessings that we are still here to witness it, but shredded at the corners, and a bit tattered in our hearts.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Sharyn, your courage---to let Caleb go, to voice your feelings, to put one foot in front of the other every day---amazes me.

What is Caleb doing at school? I hope he is enjoying it and getting some sense of accomplishment out of it.

Amy from western MA

Julie said...

Always such powerful words Sharyn.
None of live in your day to day world, and can never imagine how you truly feel inside.
Thank you for always letting us in. You are now and always will be an inspiration. I hope that someday down the road you will do lectures on this, or publish a book.

J

peg said...

Sharyn, Your conflicting emotions must truly tear you up inside. I can not even imagine how you must feel, but you have put it out here so succinctly, I feel that I was standing beside you as we watched the bus drive off. You and Caleb have come so far through so much with such grace and and honesty. I wish there was something I could do or say that could ease your pain even a little, but I know there are no words... but know this~ You are in my thoughts and I hold you and Caleb in my heart, always. I am ever hopeful that you will find heart's ease and contentment again.
As always, with hope and love,
peg from PA

mariep said...

Sharyn,
Every time I read your words (and have been doing so from almost the beginning of this blog), I am struck with the fact that your family has been saddled with the burden of being "an inspiration" to so many of us. You DO make me stop and notice my own young tow-headed boys and say a little prayer of gratitude and appreciation (at least until I once again get lost in the daily stuff that I take for granted). I feel simultaneously THANKFUL to you for putting down your raw responses, so I am confronted with my own complacency etc. ... and GUILTY /ANGRY that your family (OR ANYONE's!) has to carry this role for me...
So while I want to thank you for your honesty and willingness to be vulnerable and to to include us in your journey, I am so sorry that your journey is such a painful one.

amy in ct said...

here's to life.
with all its twists and turns, good and bad,
blessings along the way
inspirations and regular every day ocurances,
i am blessed to know you and your story
and hope that with our little notes we send you and visits when we are at the cape that it helps you along your journey with caleb.
love and peace
amy in ct

tigerlily said...

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi 1207-1273, written in 1230

Mike said...

Sharyn: Nothing to profound to add to what other folks have already written. Just a sincere "thank you" for continuing to post and keep us up-to-date on Caleb -- and the joys, struggles, frustrations, and accomplishments that you all experience every day. Cheers to Caleb on his new adventure.

peg said...

Off the subject,. I have taped an essay and it was chosen for the radio. This is very exciting for me!


http://www.whyy.org/91FM/thisibelieve_philly.html

Unknown said...

Hey so I saw Caleb at gym this morning and gave him NYC gifts.
Hope you like your shirt!
Will read all you have gone through on these pages in next day or so.
Not familiar w/blogging but I will look at this one...
jane kinzer
("champagen jane") at the gym - I'm at 101 N. Pamet Rd. and phone 349-2622. Come by sometime w/caleb and we can play!

Unknown said...

that's "champagne"!!!

janet said...

Sharyn,
Long time no words...but silence can be golden. I hope life is treating you and Caleb well these autumn days!

peg said...

Janet said what I was thinking, Sharyn!
I think of you often.
As always, with hope and love,
peg from PA