On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Caleb's first day at college, and my stomach was rolled tighter than a joint!
So I sat with my back to the "real" world outside the cafeteria where all the students stood fashionably dressed, flirting and trading high fives, and watched Caleb and his new gang walk by, unnoticed. But I noticed that simultaneously two worlds could collide and smile and move forward, find new friends and find themselves, each at their own pace. So I sat (as I did when Caleb first went off to preschool) by the window and watched with trepidation, worry and concern till he turned towards me with the biggest grin on his face, and laughter in his eyes. And just as I did when he went off alone at age six, full of excitement and full of promise ....I wept.

13 comments:

Amy said...

I hope there was joy in those tears, Sharyn.

Best of luck to Caleb in this latest step in his journey.

Amy from western MA

coyotepond62 said...

Awesome! Best of luck to Caleb in his college career :)

Mike & Dana
Diamond Point, NY

Jerry G said...

And with that, a new journey begins! Congratulations, Caleb!

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Seems that there are many times in life that we launch our hopes on the seas of possibilities. May Caleb have a stiff breeze at his back and you a sheltered harbor to recharge.

Not sure if you got my email of last week. I will follow up soon.

Ellen Webb said...

Well done, Sharyn! There are tears in my eyes, too . . .

nancyk4444 said...

Sharyn - and Caleb -

Best of luck for this newest milestone!
Hoped to see your face, sharyn - while in Wellfleet recently...but our paths didnt cross - (I was there for the Hurricane that never was...)
Congrats to you Caleb - Hope school is all you want it to be!

peg said...

Oh Sharyn, Oh Caleb! What a triumphant day that must have been!
To have come through so much to get to that moment, unbelievable! A whole new life begins and a bright future unfolds. Congratulations to you both,you never gave up! So much to look forward to!
I am happy, so happy with tears in my eyes as well.
As always, with hope and love,
peg from PA

Jackie said...

Dear Sharyn and Caleb,
And we weep with you at the possibilities ahead for Caleb and his gang of new friends. I can just picure that wide grin of his and his willingness to jump into this new adventure. Good for you both!
With love from Jackie in NY

janet said...

Way to go, Caleb! May college be fun... you'll meet interesting new friends there. Sharyn, somehow you find these great programs to keep Caleb moving forward. Congratulations to both of you!
and blessings,
janet

Sheila said...

I'm so happy to read this. What a wonderful step forward...for both of you.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

w00t!

Congratulations, Caleb!

I got out of the habit of checking the blog this summer, Sharyn, and am just catching up today on your news. Bumped from CBS; off to college. Wow, did I miss a lot! You Lindsay/Potters never cease to amaze me.

Looking forward to bumping into you around town.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

HeidiTri's said...

Congratulations Caleb!

I recently found this video, and thought of Caleb:

http://www.thedogfiles.com/2010/09/22/surf-dog-ricochet-surfs-with-brain-injured-6-year-old-video-2/

I thought it was a great little story.

penny on st.john said...

Fantastic Caleb!

You have come a long way and this new chapter in your book of miracles proves that the best is yet to come. Be happy and enjoy your new venture.

Love and best wishes,

Penny