On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, June 28, 2010

My life moves forward by simple inertia of willpower alone. It is a lonely place, this one I reside in. The reality sets in and bites a hole out of you...and the boys suffer in the frames of their eyes. But Caleb remains steady and lovely. Today a young man got out of his car after parking in my drive and from a distance ask if he could park there. Not seeing as well as I once did, I replied yes, of course thinking that he was here to visit. He wisked out his bike and was off before I could correct my mistake. I had the usual conversation with myself..who does he think he is?..I don't even know him! I will leave a note on his car so he won't do that again..blah, blah, blah. I quized Caleb on who he might be, because in his brief time here Caleb managed to walk over and say hello...adding more to my confusion of who he was. When I asked him if he recognized the fellow he said no, just some guy out for a ride..".but mom if you just go over and say hello, you will know him too"...simple as that. And I am once more reminded by Caleb that life is too short to be short ..with tempers, with judgement, with anger.
We struggle, we do..and every day I have to set the intention to make it through. But Caleb reminds me of goodness..always goodness.

9 comments:

ribaby said...

What an amazingly pure spirit to inspire you (and us).

peg said...

Caleb's goodness comes from his pure heart and the lessons he has
learned, as his life has rolled on. Those lessons didn't pop out of no where, I think a certain Mumsie can take some credit. We are all of us learning anew every day...
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

I began my day very cross about similar seasonal issues, Sharyn, but I'm working on channeling Caleb's good-natured viewpoint on life. Thanks for helping me put a few minor irritations into perspective.

It was wonderful to see you and Caleb at the community garden reception, and share a few moments of conversation. Your garden is lovely!

NY/Wellfleet mom

peg said...

I know that tomorrow is another anniversary of sorts, and although I am sure the memory associated with the 4th will always sting, it is also a day to celebrate: to strength of will, to belief against all odds, a tribute to the pure triumph of life over despair, the power of fierce love, the refusal to ever give up, to ever give in.
So to you Sharyn, Caleb, Kai and Max, all of you who can claim those attributes as your own, I wish for you blue skies, happiness, and love, always.
as always, with hope and love,
peg from PA
PS ARRRRGGGHHH Go Yellowbeard!!!

Jo said...

Peg took the words right out of my mouth. Each year, I celebrate the anniversary of the day that my now five - year - old son survived a stroke. It is a bittersweet day, but it becomes sweeter and much less bitter as time passes. My humble advice to you, Sharyn, is to mourn today if that is how you feel, but also to celebrate Caleb. He is here, after all, and that is more than reason enough to rejoice. I'll be thinking about you all today. Take care.

Roberta said...

And that goodness shall overcome evil.
Roberta in Wellfleet

Roberta said...

And that goodness will overcome evil.
Roberta in Wellfleet

steviebbbb said...

I love this post and will remember this.

I only met Caleb once - we stopped our bikes in the woods to admire your beautiful property, struck up a conversation with him (or he with us, I don't remember which), and he gave us a brief guided tour.

I should not draw conclusions from this brief encounter but perhaps this open and generous attitude toward others has always been part of his personality and is part of why so many people admire him.

M said...

You write so beautifully. You're in my prayers!