On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

I spot one lightning bug in my garden, and I smile with delight..a remembrance of days gone by, when on the farm we would, as children, catch them by the dozens and sometimes ( and I shudder at this thought) we would tear the sparkle off of them still glowing and attach them to our ring finger shining like a diamond..dreaming of the day we would receive this as a gift from the one we loved. I received this sparkle from Jan at the age of 28, and like the firefly, I thought we would glow forever.

When one dies at his own hand, it is a difficult subject to bring up..especially on a birthday. So I drove with Caleb to the beach today...and I spotted a rose..which I suspect Kai has delivered..a sprig of green, left perhaps by Red..a spray of sand deposited by Ellen...a remembrance from his first wife Marcia...a thought and praise dropped by Sarah..a twig left by Beals..who knows really...but I think all the players were there..and now I call Max who is down with a twisted and a painful ankle...and even he has gimped to the beach in honor of his dad. I am learning that love is not exclusive. I thought my love for him was the one and only...but others have loved as well...and I feel for him, as I do for my boys...that the more people who have loved you..well, all the better. I wanted to be exclusive to him, like the firefly's glowing body on my ring finger, glowing with the promise of love...but love was big for me, and even bigger for Jan. Happy birthday to one who was loved among many. I loved you in the best way I knew possible. ..I only wished it had been enough.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Sharyn,

Keeping you and the boys in my thoughts. I hope some fireflies visit you this evening.

Kim Harris said...

Sending my love to you and the boys and a happy birthday to Jan!

Kim Harris said...

Also a happy belated b-day to Leb! Sorry I have been slacking lately! Super busy and sad year for me Tom's father passed in February of a sudden heart attack and we have been dealing with the unexpected loss and all that goes along with that. I know you understand.
My heart is with you and I hope to get up there sometime this summer! I miss and love you guys very much!

amy in ct said...

your posts are beautiful, i am so proud to know you.
did you ever have the tag sale? wondering how it turned out.
prayers and peace to you
amy in ct

Unknown said...

Sharyn, you really do write beautifully -- I feel like I read little passages from a stunning book every time you post.

Julie said...

I really hope someday you will compile this blog into a book for other survivors.
I think your writing is beautiful, honest, and raw. You have such a talent Sharyn.

J