On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

It has been three years now since that phone call came that catapulted me into the pit of despair that I have been diligently climbing out of ever since. It has transformed my little family of four into new people, hardly recognizable to me sometimes. There is a yawning gap between who we were, and who we have become, and are still becoming because of Caleb's accident. I am ever so proud of the boys and how they have handled responsibilities flung at them from all corners, accepted a mom who has been nothing short of distant at times, and have found peace with a father who resides now in their memories.
As I sat across the breakfast table from Caleb this early morning, I raised my coffee cup to his orange juice in a toast. " Caleb, your dignity through these past three years has been nothing short of miraculous. I am so happy that you determined to fight instead of giving up. I love that I am holding a warm hand, because it could have been so easily a cold body that I was touching for the last time. Thank you for being so brave."
A cloud shadowed his eyes making his face look ominous, clandestine.
Then he raised his glass higher and after a pregnant pause replied " Mom, I am trying to eat my breakfast"

Life goes on....and on...and on.

Happy fourth of July.

14 comments:

peg said...

I know that today is another anniversary of sorts, and although I am sure the memory associated with the 4th will always sting, it is also a day to celebrate: to strength of will, to belief against all odds, a tribute to the pure triumph of life over despair, the power of fierce love, the refusal to ever give up, to ever give in. I love you all!
So to you Sharyn, Caleb, Kai and Max, all of you who can claim those attributes as your own, I wish for you blue skies, happiness, and love, always.
as always, with hope and love,
peg from PA
PS ARRRRGGGHHH Go Yellowbeard!!!

jff said...

Beautiful post, Sharyn. Love that you foremost celebrate the joy of your children's births and while this anniversary stings, you keep a good perspective on valuing life. I have had to make a decision and do that, too.

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

I too raise my glass in celebration of tenacity, courage, vision, family and unending hope.

Happy 4th

Jerry G said...

Cannot believe that it has been three years. Love and best wishes to all of you. Forward, always.
Jerry

Jo said...

I was thinking about you today as Monkey Boy marched in the parade (who would have thought?), and wondering how you and Caleb were on your anniversary today. The story about the toast made me smile. Caleb is such an amazing guy, and you are an incredible woman. You're so right - life does go on.
You may have already read this essay before, but I thought I'd pass it on anyway. http://www.parentingthespecialneedschild.com/parenting_special_needs_c/2007/05/happy_mothers_d.html
Odd as it may sound to some, happy anniversary, sister. =)

Kevin Scalley said...

Caleb,

Thanks for giving your Mom some crap!!

;-))

Kevin

Roberta said...

Sharyn -
The toast not only made me smile - it made me LOL.

The Pirates were especially lively this year!

Roberta in Wellfleet

Julie said...

Does anyone have any tape of the parade this year Sharyn? I would love to see the pirates in action.
I love Caleb's response, to me it is like he is saying move on mom, things will be fine.


J

Unknown said...

Hi Sharyn and Caleb,

Would love to see you two in Portsmouth again!
Loved the toast. So typical of life as a mom...you try to say something profound to honor a moment and you're just interrupting breakfast.
Enjoy the weather and the beach.
Carol

janet said...

and life is good!

steviebbbb said...

Sharyn: You are a beautiful writer and a beautiful person. Thank you for sharing your experience and insights. Warmly - Steven Baratz, Wellfleet, MA

Anonymous said...

.....I honor you all for having chosen Life, and all it's twists and turns......we are all the richer for it.....And life goes on.

Thanks for including us on your journey.....tender loving intentions continue in your direction.

Much Love and Gratitude,

Carinosamente,

Melinda

penny on st.john said...

The 4th of July has most definitely left a mark on those of us who have shared this painful journey with you and your sweet family. You have my utmost respect for your strong will and positive thinking even 'tho at times it seemed like almost too much to bear. Not one of you has ever given up and the strength builds every day.

Love and best wishes.

Penny

Amy St.John said...

The fourth (fifth) this year was the most fun I have had in a loooooong time. It amazes me how strong and electric the energy between friends can be...add a few pirate costumes however and it simply EXPLODES into a fireworks display of love, laughter, ruckus and Salty Sea Hay!! I love you all and Caleb....you melt my heart when I see you...though sometimes it can be too much for me to bear....I know a lot of us feel this. It hasn't been an easy road....but we still get up every morning and try to eat breakfast in peace! :)