On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I attended a concert tonight with Caleb and as I was leaving, a friend of mine shouted down from the balcony, which made me look up instead of down to where I was going and I totally missed the stairs which were smack dab in in front of me. I was in high heels (of course) and I danced my way down - missing two..maybe three stairs at a time...contorting this way and that...never twisting an ankle, and I almost ate shit at the bottom, but by the grace of God, I instead crashed into a closed door, composed myself as best I could, and turned around to see a smiling Caleb watching me still from the top of the stairs.
It was in that moment that I realized that I was laughing.......I had struggled myself to joy!
After all this time, it was a realization that you may find silly - but I recognized tonight that Caleb would not want me to be so sad. He, as he was tonight , was laughing right along with me..witnessing the spectacle I had made of myself, and was enjoying the simple joy of joy!
How could I have missed this?- of all the people in the world, Caleb always knew how to laugh at himself, and at others in a way that would allow them to find the humor in any situation!

I am going to bed now..and tomorrow I am going to laugh a whole hell of alot more!

17 comments:

peg said...

Fantastic realization! Sometimes it takes a wallop upside the head (or bottom) for us to see clearly. I hope this morning you are none the worse for wear...
Keep laughing, life is silly!
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

janet said...

Sharyn,
What a trip! You and Caleb seemed really happy when we saw you there earlier, too. We had to leave before the end, and missed all that.
(Hope you're not sore this morning). Keep laughing!

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

I know you have a curly brunette wig somewhere in your possession...

You need to stop being so blonde some days!

;-))
Kevin

HeidiTri's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HeidiTri's said...

And now you've made me laugh! I'm glad you were not hurt.

Clance said...

First off.. Grace I am not too sure of what happened, but want to wish you well..

Sharyn, I miss you all so much, and am blessed to be able to see you soon.

Caleb's humor is what makes us all remember the importance behind finding difficult situations easier. He is so good at making us forget the bullshit, and just shrug or laugh it off.

Love you guys..

Jo said...

Sharyn,
Ouch, that sounds painful! I'm glad you're OK. I'm also happy to hear that you and Caleb are able to make light of the tough times.

susan in portsmouth said...

"Struggling yourself to joy" - such a VERY beautiful way to describe what you've been doing!

I hope the struggle gets easier and the joy comes more fluidly from now on.

Cheering you on from up here in the balcony, as always with BIG BIG love,
Susan

aimai said...

Good God, Sharyn, only you. I'm laughing too and I hate pratfall humor. But you are so right, laughter is the best medicine. I'm going to put a huge smile on my face, think of you, and just be happy.

aimai

jff said...

In a past relationship, my partner said that the best part of our relationship is that we laugh so much together. I truly believe that the breakthroughs of laughter during my darkest times saved my life. And you have such an infectious laugh, Sharyn. And Caleb was known to cause and express a few laughs himself!

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

I'm sorry you fell, Sharyn, but I'm very happy that you landed "sunny-side" up!

Keep smiling, Lindsay-Potters!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

amy in ct said...

wonderful post
thank you for sharing
i love to hear what you are feeling and i love that you and caleb are getting out and about to concerts, all gussied up too :)
amy

penny on st.john said...

Isn't it amazing how fast your feet can move?? Glad you didn't do any damage but it did make me chuckle because a similar "dance down some stairs" happened to me a long time ago. I'll tell you about it sometime. Caleb---don't ever lose you sense of humor. That's what keeps us going!

Love and Best Wishes,

Penny

Neil said...

Ha! That's great Sharyn- sounds like you landed perfectly. I love hearing about Caleb's humor, thanks a lot,

Neil

Lauren S said...

It's funny how such clarity can come out of such a random thing. I'm glad that you weren't hurt, and keep laughing for sure!

Jerry G said...

What they all said! I'm glad you didn't get hurt!

deirdre said...

AUM nama Shiva was playing during yoga yesterday...that was the first time during the day my heart poured love your way...
thank you sharyn as always, for your wisdom...indeed jan's beauty does shine through his boys.
thank you for being a most amazing pillar of love, hope & strength for them. you are a mama to me too.
PeAcE & lOvE xoxoxoxoxoxoxo