On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, September 1, 2008

home in fleet

We are back home! Our journey was just like a microcosm of life itself....sometimes it was fullfilling and whole, sometimes it was disjointed. It was damp and cloudy and our thoughts were congested, then the sun would break through and it was clear that all was right in the world. We traveled 2000 miles and we got it all- all the bumps in the road, along with all the benefits.

No trip is complete without it's dangers ..and we had ours ...at a darkened campsite in Nova Scotiaa at around two am, I woke to the sound of a bear in the campsite. I could not remember putting the fruit basket away and was certain he was drawn to the smell of ripe pears. I listened and assesed that he must be hangin in front of the truck, milling around...I called to Kai who was a few feet away. He too was awake and listening...then came the rustle of Max, equally concerned. Within moments - we were standing in our amoured underwear, Kai with his machette, Max with his bow knife, and me with no weapon at all, "cept" for a bra that I considered unsnapping to use as a slingshot, perched and ready like sentries on guard and in front of Caleb's tent.

We listened for what felt like an eternity , waiting for the charge, till we finally figured out that it was the sound of a very large man who was snoring in the tent across from us. But never was a mother so proud!

The scenery was breathtaking, the pause in our lives, necessary!
Our time together was not as it was in the past. Things have changed, and we were not willing to talk about it, but we were all privy to it, keenly aware. The laughter was strained, and a little too loud. The conversations were deep, but a little too distant..

Jenny is leaving for Boston tomorrw to resume a life which is badly needed. She has been a trooper throughout and I admire her for being with Caleb as long as she has...we wish her the best and bestow blessings....

I felt it on the way back - the overwhelming feeling that nothing had changed- we were coming home to the same situation and life would go on as before...the before in our new way. At one point Caleb leaned into me and said " Are we taking pops back with us ?' No honey, I whispered.
" But he was here a minute ago". Yes, Caleb - I am sure he was, I parleyed....and believed.
And in that metered moment I found I was envious of him..... for Caleb lives in a world where Jan is still with us, they both are fine and we are surrounding and adoring him....and we are all happy!
but Kai and Max and I live a different kind of life...one that will be dissimilar from this time forward --- we are home!


" Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path,...and leave a trail."

15 comments:

blackbird said...

Welcome back - to home and re-entry.

nancyk4444 said...

Welcome home Sharyn...and to your boys too!
Your words took my breath away....I should have known the trip would be so much more -
My thoguhts immediately turn to a very interesting encounter I had with an interesting person this weekend - the actress Debra Winger (An Officer and a Gentleman was 1 well known movie) - she just wrote a book called-
Undiscovered - met her in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere....she made me think of SO many things - in my life, and in yours.....the theme is about looking at ordinary things in ways and lights that never occured to you before.....always looking and pondering - something we mothers do oh so very well - and at times, so helplessly obsessively.
Changes are upon you - wishing Jenny well - and Caleb ways to fill that spot and that connection.
What a very special time I had this time around in Wellfleet -you know when you meet kindred spirits....
NY Nancy - "fleetian" by heart and in spirit !

amy in ct said...

sharyn
i am so glad you had this experience with the boys even though you came home with different thoughts and feelings than you may have expected or hoped for.
it was truly a wonderful road trip for your memory books.
amy in ct

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn and you Potter boys,

Welcome home!

Sharyn,

OMG, I certainly hope the snoring man never saw your "slingshot" That thought just "flashed " through my mind...It's a hard one to bear...

Kevin

grace said...

Hi sharyn,your great imagery made me feel like i was right there with you on the journey. I have goosebumps as a read and re-read your words are so honest. I went to spectacle pond yeasterday it was so serene. I would never know of such beauties in this world if it werent for Caleb. I love you all, love Grace

HeidiTri's said...

Sharyn,
Welcome back. I did not realize the impact your blogs have on my life until you were gone for the week.

Good luck to all of you as you adjust to the absence of Jenny in your daily lives.

Amy said...

Welcome home, Sharyn. My heart ached to hear about Caleb's question about Jan. It reveals so much about where he is. Your strength is quite remarkable.

Amy from western MA, back in western MA :(

Deb said...

Welcome Back Sharyn and her Fearless Troupe,

A change of scenery was what you needed but as in life opens more uncertain paths. You all have an inner strength that continues to see you through all aspects of life. I am so envious.

As stated below I never realized what a role your blog plays in my life until you were not writing. I still checked it just in case...

Good luck Jenny in Boston. I only wish the best for you.

Until the next blog....consider yourselves hugged.

Unknown said...

Hey Sharyn,

Your trip sounds beautiful. I am so glad you're home safe. Home feels so good when you've been away. Burlington is beautiful right now and Mike and I will be so happy when you come visit! Miss you and love you,
Katie and Mike

Julie said...

Good Luck Jennie!You appear to be a wonderful, smart, caring girl, I'm sure the career you have chosen will fit you perfectly!

Welcome Home Sharyn and boys, I hope life will keep getting better and better for all of you!

J

Anonymous said...

Glad you all are home safe and sound.
The description of the fierce defense you were prepared to put up in front of Caleb's tent caused my eyes to fill. What love you have in your family; your actions define the word....
Sounds like the trip was a good rest, but a lesson that one can not run from reality, it follows along, ever lurking around the edges.....but yours is a new reality and will shift and change as the days go by, sometimes for the better and others for the worse.
The one sure thing is that you are all equal to any challenge thrown your way, and deeply deserving of every one of the blessings that being alive on this planet can bring. I pray for far more of the latter than the former!

I think of you all fondly, and send Jennie good wishes in Boston.
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Welcome home, Lindsay/Potters.

And good luck and best wishes to Jenny.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Welcome home. While you have been far, many have been keeping you close in their hearts. The trip sounds great and I am sure just having a change in schedule and surroundings was good. Having come within 15 feet of a growling bear I can relate to the adrenalin push that even thinking one is near can cause. But it also makes a good story that will live for years.

Sigh…..things are different yet the same. The very subtle things you take for granted and notice so much when they are different, the laughter strained, and the conversations that are deep yet removed. Everyone still working their way through the tangle of woods, trying to find their own way, both individually and as a family. Caleb’s path is separate and seemingly parallel but not? Sigh……

Each experience you have as a family creates something new, crafted from the past with the realities of the present. How difficult that must be for you all when how it was is much preferred and the reason why it is not is no one’s fault. Yet it is difficult to talk about without seeming disloyal or angry or blaming, when what I really sense is hurt.

Jenny we all wish that the wind be at your back and the road ahead be smooth on your new journey.

Potter / Lindsay clan, continue to blaze that trail for in going where no trail exists you are more likely to find rewards that no one yet knows about.

Susanna said...

How brave you all were about the bear! How difficult for all of you to have Caleb not rememberabout his father.Prehaps someday he will remember but I agree with you that in some ways it is a blessing to forget that.I hope Jenny finds what she needs in Boston to live a full and happy life.

Unknown said...

And what a magnificent trail you leave, Sharyn.