On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

I am grateful for the rain that fell last evening. It's refreshing and reminds me of why I love this Earth...the smells, the birds, the flowers laden with moisture and bending in a bow to me as I walk down the garden aisles and pass them this morning. Caleb had his first week of being back on the tides, and I imaging his elation feels to him like the rain feels to me. He has come home from digging with his brothers and Richard feeling hungry and so very tired, but the look on his face reminds me of the Old Caleb, and speaks to me of how very clearly he is still in there.
I wonder why sometimes that we were singled out to have this new life we have, why Caleb had to transform into someone new, why my smile does not reach the corners that it used to. There have been many a days where I could not fault Jan for leaving us in the way that he did...I too have come to understand that bottomless pit feeling, but on mornings like this I am glad that I am still here to witness miracles...even if they are just the beauty of a rainfall, or the smile on Caleb's face which is as brilliant as the sun that warms me.. Blessings

11 comments:

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Your post was like sunshine this morning, Sharyn.

Thanks for sharing.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

janet said...

Cheers to Caleb... back to digging with the tides again! Cheers to you too, Sharyn, you've all come so far, and you sound happy. You and Caleb ARE blessings!

BenBirdy1 said...

sending love your way. xo

Jo said...

Sharyn,

I have often wondered the same thing - why me, but more importantly, why my little boy? You are right, however. Amid all of the pain and heartache that we must endure, we have the privilege of witnessing miracles in our children.
Blessings to you and Caleb.

peg said...

Sharyn,
It was wonderful to share breakfast with you and Janet, along with the happy news that Caleb was out on the flats. As unfathomable as all of the events that have occurred in life are, I firmly believe that we, each of us , are exactly where we are meant to be. Your smile may not reach the corners as it used to, but to me it was as warm and beautiful as the sun on a summer morn.
As always, with hope and love,
peg from PA

Roberta said...

Good for Caleb! Happy to hear he is out there.
Your vases of flowers, out by the road are so pretty.

Roberta in Wellfleet

amy in ct said...

perfect
wonderful
thank you

wonderful news caleb! we are so happy for you, and happy to be part of your life!

amy in ct

Arlene said...

Sharyn ,
You grow and nurture so beautifully, then share the results. The flowers are wonderful, they made my day.

david m said...

I must confess Ive been absorbed in the blog for a few days now playing catch up; following the ups and downs of the life you so generously share with us, scanning comments for names I recognize and hearing the voices of strong women I knew once and wish I was closer to: India and Shelly, Mia, Clance and Sky. It's been years since we've seen eachother Sharyn, you might even have trouble placing my face, but I think I saw you in Orleans today...(I was on my bike) and it's inspired me to try and offer a response. I don't have any pithy one-liners or quotes of sage wisdom.. And i don't want to try to assuage whatever it is you're feeling because there's nothing in my brief 30 years on this planet that comes close to the fire you've walked through. I guess I just want to humbly say thank you. Thank you for leading by example. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for being seemingly fearless; unafraid of the dark stuff and the discomfort and the anguish and the rage and when you were afraid being honest about it!! Thank you for always moving forward, even when forward felt like backward. Thank you for walking with grace and pride and beauty; full of that innate Potter beauty so bright you couldn't lose it if you tried cause it comes from within. I'd love to come by sometime and see Caleb, it's been a few years. I am so inspired by the forces and friends behind this blog who support and strengthen...you know who you are. That's all I got. Gratitude and love to each and all and gentle but strong hugs. May deep peace be ours...sometimes. -Dave Marshall

Julie said...

Such a nice comment David!!!


J

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Encouraging.

Toktam Fischer