On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, May 18, 2009

I have recently connected with a woman in town for whom I have admired from afar for quite some time. She has terminal cancer and walks the walk towards the ending of her story with dignity and grace. She is a very brave soul and I now admire her from close up and adore her for her strength. This process has started me to thinking about what it is that we take with us and what it is that we leave behind when we part form this Earth. I spent so many years thinking about how people were thinking about me. Now I realize that all we take with us is what it is that we think about ourselves. Have we walked our walk with courage and kindness? Are we proud of ourselves - not for our accomplishments, but for the beat of a heart that says" I am." Have we looked deeply into our own eyes and spoke back the words..I am proud to be me? It is all we have- it is all we leave with.
What we leave behind are the people whose lives we have touched. That is our legacy..that is how we continue on.
I just realized that everything that exists in this world began at one point with a simple thought born out of someone. I am now thinking more about who it is that I want to be to those who walk this walk with me. I am thinking more about who it is that I want to be when I take my final walk. Change your thought and you change yourself.
My brave friend has touched me in ways she may never know..but I know and I am happy to have the chance to pass on her story, her dignity and her grace to others.

5 comments:

Tracy in the Berkshires, Ma. said...

until this moment I had not had this simple truth planted firmly in my conscious mind. Thank you for the seeds and bless the women who inturn planted the seed for you.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

I read your post several times, Sharyn. It is really quite beautiful, and your words convey a clear picture of the beauty and grace of your friend. My thoughts are with her, and with you as well.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Susanna said...

Very moving.

nancyk4444 said...

Very moving and so very true. After losing some very close and very young friends and family myself, I too have gotten the glimpse of this most valuable lesson of life.
It really is such a simple fact - that usually takes tragedy of some sort to realize...most of what we are raised to think matters, does not.
You have said it quite beautifully Sharyn.

I wish peace and contentment to your friend.....

amy in ct said...

again, you make me stop... and think....
thank you