On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dusty Finch

As you will remember, Gracie was Caleb's first girlfriend. She is a young lady of substance and as her name depicts; grace. Her mother, Dusty; an Earth mother..kind, generous,loving and fun.
As a mother who's son was now intertwined with a new family, I found myself harboring new fears...would they like him, be kind to him, accept him? Dusty and Caleb became fast friends. A week ago Dusty handed over a note to her Grace that Caleb had written to her years ago..she had saved it all this time.
I was always grateful for her..that she could see in Caleb what I could see, and comforted that he had an extended family who's kindness had no bounds.
I remember the day Dusty walked into her big beautiful yard with giant oaks towering above, tucking us under their leaves to keep us from the burning sun. She held a wooden bowl as big as a bushel basket and was stirring her latest concoction - rice crispy treats as she announced to all that she didn't have time to press them into a pan..we could just ball them up with our hands and eat them as is! That to me was her spirit..take me as I am, no pretension, and always with a hint of mischief.

Now there are days when I can still get to feeling pretty sorry for myself over our situation with Caleb, but I am trying to remember that we are not alone. Life can be tricky sometimes; forcing us to grow in ways we don't feel ready for or well equipped for. There are joyous days and very sad days...the roller coaster of life that lifts us high and dumps us down. I cherish the up days..the days of eating rice crispy treats, the days of peace and calm, the days of love and laughter, the sharing of our journey with the people who treat us kindly..like the Dusty Finch's of the world..... who passed away yesterday.
Grace still has the note, and I will always have the memories.

9 comments:

Gail Hunter said...

Dusty Finch... just the name suggests imagination and laughter. We treaure those who knew and loved our loved ones, don't we? And the memories those connections bring. Blessings of peace to you and to her family, Sharyn.

grace said...

a beautiful day we had today with all the family and memories we have made,hard at times but loving to the fullest, we will all be ok it hurts though it does. We all face these difficult times and friends like you sharyn are what we need to get by love you

Jerry G said...

Deepest sympathy to Grace and her family, and to all who share in this loss.
Jerry

Sky said...

Grace, Si, Hope, Abby, Abe, Brad and the wider circles that surround you-
we surround you too.
Dusty, we will miss you; your calmness, your smile and your warmth. I imagine you now equipped with hawk wings, soaring gracefully on the winds above. safe travels...
with love,
sky

Ellen Webb said...

Ah Grace . . .my heart joins you with all of the mixed emotions--what a lovely mother! Ellen

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

My heart goes out to you, Grace, and to your family.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

casey said...

Grace,so sorry for the loss of your beloved mother. I know she is riding on the wings of angels. Let the love and positive memories surround you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Love Casey and AJ

peg said...

Dear Grace, I too lost my Mom in an April years ago, and so it has become a bittersweet month for me. The beauty of emerging spring, new growth and warm long days accompanies the sad remembrance of a life ended too soon. But I feel her with me all of the time, and you will too; your Mom will always watch over you and guide you, she now resides in the hearts of you and your family and friends.
With love and sympathy, I send you my best wishes...
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

Kim Harris said...

Grace so sorry to read of your loss.
My heart goes out to you and your family.
Love,
Kim