On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

I was on my way home to Ohio for a visit with Jan and the boys, and called home somewhere in Pennsylvania to update my arrival time, only to find that my mother was dying. She had suufered from diabeties related diseases for some time and this was her final hurrah. I was a young mother, not fully equipped to be without her at that time. The thing that I remeber most about her as I stood by her bed were the sounds she made, so similar to the sounds Anne had chorased at Sky's homebirth where I stood like a sentry with Cedar by my side. So death's sounds were a rebirthing . After the shock of her death and after I rolled into acceptance of it, I too had a rebirthing of sorts. My mother and I had suffered through a difficult ( at best) relationship. After a year or so had gone by, I actually realized that I was free in a way that I never had been while she was alive. Free to be me. Now please don't get me wrong..I do not think it was mother who limited me, but myself. I could have been brave enough to break through the barriers of who she expected me to be ( or who I thought she expected me to be) but I wasn't. So I had finally woken to the realization that I could be just the woman I wanted to be...and the debilitating beliefs I held about myself could die with her.
I now am looking forward to yet another birth - that of Kai, Max and myself. We must find a way to find acceptance with who it is that the Universe has called forth for Caleb to be..and all of us along with him. I do not get to go through a single day without heartbreak, nor a single night without nightmares, but I also do not get to pass through the day without opportunities to grow and to love and to choose differently for myself. The sun is out and I am filled with the warmth of possibilities..that I might become a forgiving, kind heart; that I might finally learn to love myself more; that I might reach for the best possible thought when the choice are vast and temptation rears; that I might discover my reason for being and laugh with all the tenderness and abandon of someone who has followed the path that was intended for them. That I might be as helpless as a newborn whose eyes scan the suroundings for the very first time and think " bring it on!"

12 comments:

kolleen said...

Yes....................
Bring it on............
The love
The laughter
The acceptance
The freedom to be exactly who you are
Follow your heart
xoxoxoxoxox
kolleen

penny on st.john said...

Sharyn,

You can do just about anything at this point in time!!! Just let it come.....

Love and best wishes,
Penny

Jerry G said...

Sharyn, in your 'voice' I hear a lot of pain, but also a growing acceptance and continuing healing. As long as these things are trending in the right directions, and I think they are, all will be well; if not today or tomorrow, one day soon. Stay strong.
Best to you all, always,
Jerry

Clance said...

Sharyn..
Just wanna send some luv your way..
never forget how many of us love and honor you, you have come so far in life, and continue to blossom, and inspire us all..

Caleb will be fine.. he is accepting his current path with strength, and courage. Luckily you all are open minded, and willing to embrace what has been placed in front of you, and that alone is a blessing.

Love ya BIG.. xo.

amy in ct said...

you can do it
we are here
we love you all

peace and prayers
amy in ct

Lilz said...

Thinking of you and the boys, love you all soo much!

Lily

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Good outlook...

Kevin

jff said...

I guess we just have today and what lays ahead to work with...and some lessons from the past. You all are moving and moving is good....

Gail Hunter said...

Sharyn,

It is so good to hear your "voice", to recognize the familiar strength behind the anguish and the questions. I have been absent, but only in commenting.
You and yours are often in my thoughts; I carry your words along for the sometimes painful, sometimes exhilarating journey I'm making. Other times I send my thoughts to you as I read your posts that paint such an eloquent picture of your life's journey.
In Kai's words I hear your insight, your inner beauty reflected. You have been a wonderful nurturer of those wild seeds.....they spring forth now on their own, equipped with so much love and energy and thirst for life.
We are here, silently walking with you. Thankful for the connections your words bring.
Some day I hope to sit with you and listen, or let you know what you have given. In the meantime, I hope you know how much we all care.

Susanna said...

Beautiful words and I'll bet Sky did look around first thing and thought "bring it on".

grace said...

Hi sharyn, great to see you and Leb on Valentines day, wanted you to know that my mom is doing better we hope she will be home by this weekend. Love you lots, gracie

Mommato2 said...

Every time I read your blog I am amazed by you....your outlook on life is an inspiration!