On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

A New Year

We made it through Christmas...no actually we thrived, not just made it. I went out to the "girls" party..a tradition with my friends for 26 years now (we think) The boys and I and Timmy walked down to visit Jan on the beach after a morning of opening presents and downing homemade sticky cinnamon buns. Aunt Carol's peaceful and beautiful home is where we landed in the evening for a delightful dinner and laughs.

We are Rehabilitating each in our own way. This is what it feels like to be in this situation..we are on this little tenuous raft and we are trying to go with the flow of that which is current. ...which is easy if you just let go and ride it out.......the current will take you. We get into trouble when we change course or think we know a better way..or worse..we try to go back........we paddle against the current and we paddle with no gain.
I recently burned myself on the stove and as the scar heals, I watch as each of us heals...Kai is packing for Bali ..Max is packing for his move to Jan's apartment, I am packing up my thoughts of how I thought we would be.

We look toward a New Year with healthy anticipation.

5 comments:

Clance said...

Hey Mumsie and crew..
Glad to hear all's well, and that Christmas day was spent with family, and a nice walk to the ocean. And it sounds like the boys are taking big steps forward, and doing for themselves which is really beneficial. I hope you too do so!

Wishing you well always, and missing you much. Please give lots of love to Leb for me, and a lil pinch!

amy in ct said...

you sound great. i love your outlook, i think i will take it on myself as well!
oh how true it is when we dont go with the flow, how we go off course and have to work twice as hard to get back to where we were to start with.
i want you to know that each day i think of you and caleb and your whole clan, each day i check the 'big green page' to see if there is an update. each day i have you all in my prayers.
so much of what you have written has sunk deep into my head, into my soul. i KNOW that i lead a different life today than i did before i met you.
be well,and know that you are in our thoughts always.
here's to the new year!
amy in ct

Neil said...

Sharyn, it's nice to read about the holiday with your boys. We've been thinking of you all. I suspect that the feeling you describe is close to another feeling you've mentioned before, about accepting a new life. For me, it has helped to think about how I have been able to bring my life back together, while at the same time holding onto the reality of what we've been through. We wish you all a Happy New Year and a lot of love. Best wishes on each of your travels, to Bali or just to the next day,

Love, Neil and Carrie

Susanna said...

I hope Kai has an awesome time in Bali and Max enjoys his new digs. It sounds like you are getting the hang of this new life. I always admired the way your boys stuck around and hung with Mom but I guess it is time for them to take flight and find their own way.

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

The old wiseman Confucius once said...
"Never touch a hot stove with your God Damn hands!"

Happy New Year!
Kevin