On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally a moment to catch up with you . Caleb and I hit the ground running when we got back from Portsmouth. Spring is in the air...and so, so very much to do. First of all my cutting garden. Long Pond Farm is the chosen name..and I thank you for all the wonderful, interesting thoughts on what to call it, but this resonated with me. But the best part is that I have decided to try to put together a house full of Brain Injured people in what was once my home, so that Caleb will have a social structure and a life that does not always include just me. This inspiration came from a young man who used to work for me long ago who stopped me in the street and gave me a beautifully carved sign which read... The Potter's room. It was a "sign" to me. A room for Mr. Potter and all who would join him on this new life adventure. So ..we will kick off a celebration...I think on Caleb's birthday.... May 31st to try to raise money for a car which can transport many.. through the many efforts of my friends . A yard sale is in order - perhaps you have something you would donate...that chair in the basement you no longer need..a collection of old bottles, a vase from grandma that you feel guilty about parting with, but secretly hate...I hope to see all of you from near -- or far. I am totally excited about this "life after death" feeling which has been creeping up on us, promising a better life for all under this roof. I will keep you posted...while you hopefully can collect items for our sale! Love ya, S

14 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry we won't be on the Cape that weekend. What a great idea! Have you talked to a lawyer about setting up your plan as a charitable corporation so donations are tax deductible? It may be easier to raise money, and there are other benefits as well.

Best of luck with your new venture!

Amy from western MA

peg said...

Brilliant, Sharyn! I had a feeling that something exciting has been cooking this past month. I wish I was going to be up there that weekend!. But hopefully I will get a chance to visit when we are on the Cape earlier, May 16-19. Great ideas, positive vibe...a whole new season to embrace. I am helping my Dad clear his house for a move, I will bring some fun trinkets to sell.
Love to you all too!
As always, with hope,
peg from PA

Neil said...

Sharyn, I had a feeling that things were brewing there in Wellfleet when so much time had passed between posts. This sounds like an excellent idea- I've seen you and your boys make amazing things happen and this would be incredible. We'll do whatever we can to help and will be in touch with you- I hope we can be there on 5/31 but, if not, we're glad to help in other ways,

Love, Neil and Carrie

Ex-fleetian said...

I've been waiting to see what wonderful thing you would create out of Caleb's accident. Life after death is sweet and powerful. Congrats on crossing the great river.

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Bravo, Sharyn! Sounds like a plan. I will begin rooting around for treasures.

You looked fabulous on Saturday, and it made my day to get a hug from you and from Caleb. Thanks!

NY/Wellfleet Mom

Alexandra Grabbe said...

Long Pond Farm. I like it!

This is such good news. Please let us know how we can contribute to the yard sale ...

Jackie said...

Sharyn,
Such exciting news just as spring breathes new life back into the earth. I'll be there Mother's day weekend and would be happy to drop off a few items; just tell me where to bring them. Wish you could photo some items for us to see; maybe a raffle might be a good idea. Great to hear your optimism. With love Jackie in NY

jff said...

Sharyn
WOW---beautiful things come from you and yours always...a perfect endeavor--wished I lived closer..

janet said...

The idea & celebration & yard sale sound wonderful. We'll start hunting and gathering here.
Long live Long Pond Farm!
love,
Janet & David

Gail Hunter said...

Long Pond Farm is a great name! And what an inspired idea to help create a new life for not only Caleb, but his friends. I would love to donate goods to help out with a yard sale, and to spread the word. New beginnings this Srping!

Blessings,
South Shore Mom

Ellen Webb said...

Perfect! Love, El

Jo said...

Sharyn,
I am so happy for you, Caleb and the many young people who are going to benefit from your project. I am in the process of ridding my house of many forgotten treasures in preparation for the big move that Daniel and I are making in a few months. We have many new and nearly new children's items (mostly toys), and I'm sure there's a secretly hated vase or two hidden away somewhere. I'll be sure to put them aside for you and Caleb. We'll see you in May!

Blessings,

Jo and Daniel

justjane said...

Hi Sharyn,
It took me a while to catch up with all of your adventures and I continue to be astonished by you and Caleb! You are such a gift to so many out there. I applaud you as you now embrace these life changes, and your graciousness of opening your home to others in Caleb's world. Good for both of you! I will bring some items over for your sale. I'd also love to paint something for your Long Pond Farm this summer.
You are an amazing mom!
Jane

Marcia said...

Hi Sharyn,

How are u making out with organizing the yard sale? When would be a good time to drop off donations?

How is Long Pond Farm? It looks like a great spring weekend for sunshine and flowers. Could you use some help? photos?

Hugs,
marcia