On the fourth of July, 2007 Caleb Potter was involved in a skateboarding accident.
He suffered serious injuries and continues to need all of our positive thoughts and prayers.
This blog is to serve as a space for updates on Caleb's journey of recovery.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Today... a morning coffee on Newcomb, spent silently with Jan in celebration of our son Kai turning 25 today!
When Kai was a very little boy, he would speak to me quite frequently about his "other" mother from where last he came forth....and as was his nature then, as is now, he never did it spitefully..he just wanted to tell me all about her. She was all the things I could not be to him. She eve n looked differently. She was dark, small and plump, with black hair. She was certainly more sane and seemed to have all the time in the world for him; something this mother had little time for with two other robust boys trailing. Somehow she always seemed to bring him comfort. It has been many a year since I have heard from him about her...he now finds his comfort with Lizzy, and her extended family; his Aunt Carol and Ray are always around for anything he needs, and he has a true love for his brothers: Max, Caleb and Timmy that is wildly fullfilling.
He is a gem; he is someone who is truely comfortable in his skin. And I know that all the little things that he will leave behind will make this world a bigger place.
I don't know where his "other" mother has gone. I suspect she is always near, whispering sweet , encouraging words to him, guiding him in times of darkness and in light. ...tenderly holding his hand.

And today I want to say thank you to her for loving my little boy.....
and I want her to know that I am just as proud as she to have been chosen to be his other mother too.

Happy 25th Kai! With Love.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Sharyn, that other mother was always you---he just didn't know it yet! Once he could see all the dimensions of his real mother, he didn't need that imaginary one any more.

Happy birthday to Kai and to you.

Alexandra Grabbe said...

Happy birthday, Kai!!!

Kevin Scalley said...

Sharyn,

Loving Kai is the easy part in my opinion...Any "other" Mom could do that! Being someone's "real" Mom is the toughest of all jobs... If Kai could have, he wouldn't have picked anybody but you!

Kevin

jff said...

I think many of us have had 'imaginary" many things--I had a ton of brothers and sisters. I agree with the others--you were the mom in his dreams and the one he could touch and be held by! It is nice to have a helper when your overwhelmed! I am sure the imaginary mom told him all about you!

Happy Birthday Kai!

janet said...

Sharyn,
Your words color a sweet birthday gift!
Happy birthday, Kai! It's been a privilege to get to know you some this year. Does the weather ALWAYS get wild for your day?

NY/Wellfleet Mom said...

Happy Birthday, Kai!

How fortunate you are to be surrounded by so many people who care so very deeply about you.

NY/Wellfleet Mom

haley.jane said...

Happy Birthday Kai! You are the sweetest, gentlest, handsome-ist, silliest, most wonderful creature! MUAH! I love you!

Haley

aimai said...

If inside every thin woman is a fat woman waiting to break out, and inside every fat woman a thin one--surely inside every harried mother of three is a calm mother who has all the time in the world?

hugs to you and Kai
aimai

Jeff- in the Berkshires said...

Happy Birthday Kai!

I expect alter ego Mom disappeared when he came to the realization that she had nothing over you. "Sane" can also be boring.

peg said...

Happy Birthday Kai!!!

What a lucky boy you were to have two mothers all wrapped up in one!

And what a lucky man you are to have such a wonderful family!

As always, with hope and love,
peg from PA

Roberta said...

Sharyn - When I first read this blog entry I thought Kai was referring to a Mom from a past life and had carried those memories forward into the present.
It is abundantly clear under those circumstances that he chose you and Jan as the perfect parents for what he needed this time around.
You make me cry...you touch me so.

Happy Birthday Kai!

Roberta in Wellfleet